Five fab days in San Diego -- w/pics!

lisah0711

♥ her Disney office
Just back from five fun days in San Diego. We had a great time and here are a few highlights from our visit.

Arrived Fri 3/28 in San Diego. We stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay
where we were greeted by striking hotel workers! Their motto was "no contract, no peace!" which meant they walked around the hotel making lots of noise. Luckily they stopped at 5:00 p.m. and didn't picket on the week-ends. After the first encounter we didn't see or hear from them again. We really appreciated how nice DVC is compared to other suites.

Saturday was Legoland. We arrived at opening. DS is 8 and a certified
Lego freak so he enjoyed the park even though it seems like it was geared
more to younger kids. He did both MindStorms activities which involved two 45 minute sessions of playing with robots. That was the highlight of the
day for him. It did get more crowded as the day went on but was
manageable.

Sunday was the Maritime Museum -- five ships -- then on to the USS
Midway. We only got to see three decks of the Midway. I suggest going on the Island (upper deck) tour first because you have to wait in line and they only take about 20 people at a time to the command areas of the ship. DS got to sit in the Air Boss' chair.

Monday was the San Diego Zoo. Like good Disney folks we hot footed it at
opening to the Panda Exhibit to see the baby panda. We didn't have to wait
in line and could take our time and enjoy. The panda was very cute! We
took the bus ride that covers a good part of the zoo. It was included in our ticket price but well worth the $3 if you had to pay separately. The
koalas were also a big hit. Again as the day wore on the crowds increased.

Tuesday we went to Sea World. DH and DS rode Journey to Atlantis
right off the bat. They were glad to have the Sea World $5 ponchos because it was cold and they got wet. Later we took the Animal Spotlight Tour. This was a great tour -- we got to feed and pat the dolphins, feed moray eels and sea turtles. We probably would not have enjoyed the day as much if we had not done the tour. We finished with Believe which is a great show if you have not seen it.

Wednesday we went to Wild Animal Park. Driving to Escondido was the
first time that we could really see where the fires were last year. We saw
the butterfly exhibit and took the Safari tour as we only had a few hours.
This was another great tour -- only 10 people are on the tour and they take
you right back by the animals. We even got to see the vets darting an
antelope to vaccinate it -- which was a lot more interesting than it sounds. We had to leave at noon to catch the plane home.

I wasn't sure how I would feel being so close to Disneyland and not
going there but we had so much fun I didn't miss it as much as I thought I
would -- having another Disney trip in the works helped no doubt. As DH
said, you can really appreciate the Disney magic when you go someplace else.

My best suggestion is to study the maps online of the parks and make a plan of what you want to do. It really helps if you are unfamiliar with the parks to avoid needless zigzagging and missing something that you really want to see.

Also, for those of you going in the next few weeks there are lots of, er, "spring activities" going on in the parks -- DS knows about the birds and the bees but I heard lots of parents who were trying to distract their kids and hemmng and hawing so have whatever your answer is about such activities at the ready. :lmao:

I will post a few pics and be happy to answer any questions if anyone
has any.

DSC02522-1.jpg

Baby lions at play

Thanks for the report!

We are going in just less than 2 weeks! :thumbsup2 :cool1:

Plans include Zoo, Legoland, Sea World, Disneyland, and Flower Fields

Now just have to decide which day to do what!

First time Sea World trip in December and I am having the darndest time finding any height restrictions for kids. Anyone know where to look? Also, thanks for the heads up about the Animal Spotlight Tour-that sounds amazingly perfect and has been added to the itinerary!!

You all will have a great time on your trips!

For what it is worth, we used a San Diego fun pass that was $109 for adults -- five consecutive days in Sea World, the Zoo and Wild Animal Park. I could have saved money on my Legoland tickets at Costco but didn't find out about it in time to ship them.

Don't know about height restrictions at Sea World -- maybe a Google search as their website is not terribly user friendly.

Enjoy!

Sent them an email, because as you said, their site isn't exactly user friendly and this is the response I got:

Thank you for your email. I have provided you with the height requirements for each of our rides.
Journey to Atlantis 42 inches
Shipwreck Rapids 42 inches
Wild Arctic 42 inches
Bayside Skyride No height requirement
SeaWorld Skytower No height requirement

I am so looking forward to our trip now. We leave in about 12 days. We are also doing Sea World and Legoland, San Diego Zoo, and Disneyland. It's our first time in the West, we're from the East.

Is the petting the dolphins or feeding them extra and do you need to book anything ahead of time? Did you do the eating with Shamu for breakfast or dinner?
Pippi

I am so looking forward to our trip now. We leave in about 12 days. We are also doing Sea World and Legoland, San Diego Zoo, and Disneyland. It's our first time in the West, we're from the East.

Is the petting the dolphins or feeding them extra and do you need to book anything ahead of time? Did you do the eating with Shamu for breakfast or dinner?
Pippi

Pippi, I am sure that you will love your visit to the West!

There is an area in the main part of Sea World where you can feed the dolphins. We were on the Animal Spotlight Tour, which is extra and lasts about an hour, and were backstage. It was $42 each for the adults in addition to the admission ticket but it was a small group and well worth the price.

We didn't dine with Shamu but it looked like a lot of fun. Check out the schedule because it might cut into the day too much, especially the breakfast.

You will love Disneyland and California Adventure, too. I grew up in Anaheim and was a former cast member so DL is my favorite theme park :love:

Try to get to the parks first thing as the first few hours were the most enjoyable and least crowded and we could walk onto rides that had long waits later in the day. It's hard to get going early when you are on vacation but it really pays off.

Have a great time!

Hey, Lisa!!! Awesome report on San Diego!! I was surprised I could still post to it, so I figured I'd bump it on up for anyone going to san diego soon.

THanks for the heads up!! Do you have any other trip reports I'd be interested in????????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter