Fishing at Pop

TommyD57

Pirate at heart
Hi All. I've searched the main Pop thread and looked through a "bazillion" pics and can't find a reference. Fishing is allowed at Hourglass lake from the bank. I'm considering trying this on our upcoming trip while DW and DD are "resting". I've seen some nice ones swimming about around the docks at POFQ and am curious if any of you have fished at Pop. I have a small telescoping rod that will fit nicely in my airplane carry-on. Should I bother taking it?

I don't know whether its permitted or not but the last time we were at Pop there was a man and his son fishing right off the edge of the bridge between pop and AoA. We stayed and watched them a while. There were a lot of fish and turtles there that you could see swimming in the water below the bridge.

From the Pop Century resort thread:

Fishing is permitted around Hourglass Lake but not on Generation Gap Bridge (catch & release only)
Fishing equipment is not available for rent on property
A Florida fishing license is not required
Caution: grounds leading to the lakes edge are steep and drop-off can be immediate.

HTH

My 2 cents worth: watch where you're walking/standing and be aware of your surroundings while you're fishing. There are a lot more critters in and around the water than fish and turtles. With much bigger teeth.

Thanks for the post on the rules. Other critters with big teeth? In 5 trips I've always looked for, but haven't seen an alligator on WDW property. Anyone seen them in the lake area behind Pop? :confused3

Thanks for the post on the rules. Other critters with big teeth? In 5 trips I've always looked for, but haven't seen an alligator on WDW property. Anyone seen them in the lake area behind Pop? :confused3

Actually they are pretty much in every body of water- even inside MK. You just haven't been ?lucky? enough to see one. And don't forget about the legless crittersssssssssssss. Water moccasins (sp) are called that for a reason.

Here's a link to the Pop photo thread. If you scroll through the first couple of pages (be patient) you'll get a good idea of what the banks of the lake look like.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2302772

Thanks Minnie Mum. I think I will leave said equipment at home. The lake banks look like they could hide several kinds of critters I may not be familiar with, and not eager to meet!

Ooh, we've seen gators in the lake at CSR many times. I know, I know, different lake, but still!

Please remember that all fishing at Disney World, not matter where, is catch and release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter