Fish exchange

Elona

Earning My Ears
Newbie here and I'm not getting how to sign my grandbabies up for this fish exchange thing..
Help please

Newbie here and I'm not getting how to sign my grandbabies up for this fish exchange thing..
Help please
To sign them up here you find your cruise in the Disney Cruise Meets section of this board. See if a thread has been created for your cruise, & if so, if anyone has started an FE group. Other social media sites offer FE groups, as well.

Don't worry about it. Yes, some people talk enthusiastically about how wonderful fish exchanger presents are, some people have never done them, and some people have done them in the past but no longer do them for various reasons. The one thing in common is that they all have a great time on their Disney cruise.

In this case, you can't join a FE group on this forum, you have to go to the cruise meets section or other social media. However, people will have already planned on how many items to make. It is highly unlikely that you will a) find a FE group already established and b) find anyone willing to add people to the gift exchange 13 days before the cruise after people have already planned on what they are giving.

It won't impact you having a good time; if anything it will be one thing less to worry about for your first cruise. Go on the cruise, have fun, and if you want to do a FE on your next cruise start reaching out to people on the cruise 6-9 months in advance.

If you have your heart set on doing this, you can make an FE holder and then secretly put gifts in yourself, so your grands will be excited and surprised, but you don't have to join someone else's list. Remember, even if you got on a list, at this late date, you'd have to provide gifts for those cabins, as well. Can you get together gifts for, say 10 staterooms in two weeks? It would be easier to just keep this one in your own family.

That said, we haven't participated. We see them and are excited for the recipients, but I didn't miss it for myself and neither did my kids. They were more interested in what the ship had to offer than what other guests might have had to offer.

Can they still do the fish extenders??
Put a fish extender out and secretly fill it with gifts yourself. If they are also interested in giving, you can bring small gifts and have the kids put them in other Fish Extenders. That kind of random giving (without knowing the recipient) is called "pixie dusting".

It is too late to be part of a real FE group, because FE's feature planned giving to a group of specific participants, so the lists are finalized well in advance (usually 2-3 months before the cruise) to give people time to plan and buy/make gifts for several other families.

But the giving & receiving aspect of FEs can be duplicated for the kids' benefit as I described above. So they'll still get to enjoy it. Have a great cruise!

Last edited:
Some cruise meets will have a "latecomers" fish extender group, so it doesn't hurt to check on social media.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter