"Fish are friends, not food.": We're home [10.5.2011]!

Jambo Megan! Congrats on your engagement and being able to plan a wedding! How exciting!

Subbing and looking forward to reading your reviews.

We're home!!! :)

:goodvibes

I've never been so happy to see the house.

I'm working on unloading the car and trying to sync photos in before class and ice hockey tonight! :)

We just got back from our trip which was fabulous and probably one of the best food trips that I’ve ever had. This was our very first trip at which we were on-property and also on the dinning plan. We were on the Disney Dinning Plan which included per day one table service credit of an entrée, dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage, one quick-service credit of a combo meal with entrée, drink and dessert and a snack credit per person.

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and loved this resort! We honestly had the best experience with our resort. We were in Aruba 5101 and had a lovely walk to the pools or Old Port Royal. The bus stop was a decent distance but since we drove more than anything, that’s alright for us.

Word of warning: About 75 % of what I ate was gluten-free. I can’t have gluten. I’m still adjusting to this new diet change and I honestly do decide to ignore it every now and then. Tums are my friends in those opportunities. Also, we did use some of our snack credits at the Food and Wine Festival. I’ve written this to include EVERYTHING we ate, including some snacks and meals. Please don't flame me if I ate something that wasn't gluten-free. Trust me, I paid for it with pain.

This is your hosts for this fun journey into the wild ride of dining in Disney! Megan and Chris!

SAM_2989.jpg

Meals​

Table Service:
Wolfgang Puck
Chef Mickey’s
Ohana’s
Sci-Fi Drive-in Dinner
Les Chefs de France
Kona Café

Quick-Service:
Cosmic Ray’s
Old Port Royale: Breakfast
Old Port Royale: Late-night snack!
Pizza Planet
Electric Umbrella

Snacks:
El Pollo Campero [Aka Baybeecakes]
Teens and Tweens Coaster [Studios]
Prairie Outpost [Magic Kingdom]
Golden Age Souvenirs [Studios]
Churro Wagon [times two] [Magic Kingdom]
Hops and Barley [Food and Wine]
Poland [Food and Wine]
Aloha Isle [Magic Kingdom]
Ireland [Food and Wine]
Thailand [Food and Wine]
Canada [Food and Wine]
Wine Shop [Food and Wine]
Briar Patch [Magic Kingdom]
Studios: Mickey Head Ice Cream
Epcot: Lemonade Ice Slushy

]We had this meal on Friday, September 30th. Originally, we had planned on eating this meal on Monday morning as a breakfast but we moved the Halloween party to Sunday. We were able to eat it on Friday night instead. We liked the restaurant as it is in a cool location.​

SAM_3152.jpg

This restaurant is a buffet which is neither of our favorite style of meals. The chef here was amazing!
He came out and personally walked me through the entire buffet to show me what I could eat.
The characters definitely do come around very quickly and don’t spend loads of time with you but they did come often enough to offset this.​
SAM_3165.jpg

The desserts Chris enjoyed

The chef offered me a gluten-free cupcake which I was skeptical about. I took one bite though and fell in love. It was amazing.
A few moments later, we had some pixie dust in the form of an anniversary plate with two cupcakes and a candle on a mickey plate.
We ended up taking these cupcakes with us.​

SAM_3164.jpg
SAM_3166.jpg

My gluten-free cupcake and then our pixie dust dessert. The gluten-free is the white icing one.​

Overall:
We give this restaurant a solid B. While the chef was amazing, the characters didn’t interact as much as I would have liked.
We got an amazing gluten-free cupcake but the selection of food that I could eat was not stellar. I was pretty much limited to like 5 things.

Costs:
1 Buffet Meals: 40.46
1 Buffet meal: 40.46
Total [with tax]: 70.15
Tip: 10.00

Paid: 10.00 for Tip; 2 Table Service Credits

Great start! :thumbsup2

Don't you just love when the Chef comes out and speak to you about what you can and can't eat. We had that on a few occasions and loved it!

Also that is very nice of the Chef to make you a gluten free cupcake.

Good to hear a pretty positive review of Chef Mickey's! I'm especially looking toward to hearing about what you had at the Food and Wine festival!

A brandy-new dining review! Bring it on!

Thanks! I'm super excited right now, I just hope I can finish this!

Great start! :thumbsup2

Don't you just love when the Chef comes out and speak to you about what you can and can't eat. We had that on a few occasions and loved it!

Also that is very nice of the Chef to make you a gluten free cupcake.

Yeah, it was awesome about the cupcake. I loved that cupcake.

Good to hear a pretty positive review of Chef Mickey's! I'm especially looking toward to hearing about what you had at the Food and Wine festival!

:lmao: I really didn't have that much at Food and Wine, Chris had alot more. Everything I said I wanted to drink.....I hated! And the whole thing where I left my ID kinda hindered things.

We left Delaware about 5 hours earlier than we had planned. We skipped our hockey practices [which would have been rough anyway with our excitement level]. Since we left so early, we arrived at Walt Disney World and checked in at 8:30 a.m. We did not have any meals planned for the day besides a quick service in the later part of the day as we had no clue what time we would actually arrive.

This was a very random decision to eat at this restaurant. We went to Downtown Disney to buy our Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Tickets and Chris decided that he wanted to eat a table-service meal. We did not look at the menu and I had no clue what it would be like. Honestly, this was an amazing meal.

Chris had the Ricotta Cheese Ravioli. He honestly raved about the freshest of the pasta and the taste of the cheese inside. The menu described it as roasted tomato and cream sauce with sausage, broccoli and toasted pine nuts with ravioli.
DSC00263.jpg

He also received a bread basket which he said was tasty. I did not partake in the bread. We each had a soda for our beverage.
DSC00261.jpg

I had the Steak Frites. When I told the waiter about the whole no-gluten thing, she said that she would have the chef come down and talk to me. He literally appeared in about two minutes if that and we decided on the Steak Frites. It was amazing. The menu described it as a 10 ounce steak flat iron steak with friends, arugula, and crispy onions. He changed the fries to make it gluten-free for me into garlic mashed potatoes which was amazing.
DSC00262.jpg

For Desert, Chris had the Snickers Cheesecake and I had a raspberry mouse that was gluten-free. Both were absolutely amazing. I was not a fan of the Snickers Cheesecake [I took a bite of the cheesecake part, not the crust] as it was much too chocolate for me. Chris said that “it was yummy, definitely a very good cheesecake and was definitely a different twist on cheesecake.” He loved it.

DSC00266.jpg
DSC00267.jpg

The only thing that I would note about this restaurant is that it is quite a walk from the stores at the other end of DTD and the fact that it’s much easier to have cash for the tip if using the dinning plan exclusively.

Overall:
We gave this restaurant a B+ because it was a little louder than we like. While the chef was awesome to come out so quickly, you could tell that it was very busy as service was a little less than ideal. It was still an awesome atmosphere and the food was amazing.

Costs:
2 Sodas: 3.06
Ricotta Cheese Ravioli: 17.95
Steak Frites: 28.95
Snickers Cheesecake: 7.95
Raspberry Mouse: 7.95
Total [with tax]: 70.15
Tip: 10.01

Paid: 10.01 for Tip; 2 Table Service Credits

The food looks good there! I've heard so many good things about all the Wolfgang Puck places. It's awesome that they are so accommodating about the gluten! My husband's best friend also cannot have gluten so we go through that at restaurants and stuff all the time.

This is a trip tradition for Chris and me. We love this restaurant and look forward to it. I was unable to get a dinner reservation for the trip but I subscribed to the October/September dinning cancelation threads here on disboards and on Thursday night, got an email that someone would like to cancel an Ohana’s reservation for Sat, October 1st. About an hour later, I was the successful new owner of an Ohana’s dinner reservation. Our reservation was for 5:10 so I was a happy camper. I’m pretty sure Chris thought I was absolutely crazy trying to get this reservation.

SAM_3270.jpg

We love Ohana’s and this time dining here was no exception. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted and was pretty much miserable for the rest of the night [we ended up leaving right after Wishes because of my stomach pain].

SAM_3271-1.jpg

We each had a soda with our meal and we also had an alcoholic beverage. I had a Bahama Mama which was not bad at all. I really like sweet drinks and this just was not sweet enough for me! I don’t know why. Chris had a Pina Colava. It was really not too bad at all [I stole a sip or two]. He said “it was good but you had to mix it up quite often”.

SAM_3273.jpg
SAM_3272.jpg

Overall:
We would give this restaurant an A. We honestly love the food. For me, the noodles are always one of my favorite things and I may or may not eat more than half of the first serving they give you. For Chris, his favorite part was the steak and the dessert. Can’t wait to go back yet again whenever we travel back.

Costs:
Bahama Mama: 8.50
Pina Colava: 8.25
2 Adult Dinners with beverage: 65.98
Total [with tax]: 88.11
Tip: 12.00

Paid: 29.84 for Tip and 2 Adult Beverages; 2 Table Service Credits

So glad you reviewed WPC as we are going there on our Dec trip for the first time.

I was able to get an 'Ohana reservation for our trip the other day and tried to explain to my DH how difficult it is to get in. Hope we like it! :lmao:

I'm glad you both enjoyed WPC - your desserts look yummy! :thumbsup2

Yay on being able to secure a reservation for O'hana! Oh no on the stomach pains - hope you felt better later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter