Firsts & firsts & firsts... A Nov '21 solo adventure

happiestpoe

DIS Veteran
Hello Dis-friends!

This is my first trip report, and my first solo trip.

Like a lot of people, I am a little nervous about the uptick in Corona cases in Florida. I’m hoping things will be a little calmer in November. I may reassess my trip if things get worse, but for the moment, I’m really excited to be heading to the happiest place on earth!

This will be my first trip to the parks since 2019. Although I did have a jaunt to Disney Springs for Memorial Day Weekend.

Travel plans (so far!):
-
Nov 10th fly from Boston after school (I’m a teacher)
-Arrive at MCO about 10.30pm
-Magical Express to
CBR Riviera Resort
-Nov 11th Epcot— Food & Wine
-Nov 12th Animal Kingdom
-Nov 13th Disney Springs
-Also Nov 13th I’ll check out of CBR Riviera and check into the MCO Hyatt
-Nov 14th fly home at 7am

I’d intended to stay at YC, BC, or BWI, as I wanted to be close to Epcot. But I guess I didn’t realize how busy the resorts would be! When I went to book I had a very limited choice, and CBR seemed the best. I’ve never stayed there before, as our home is POR. I'm looking forward to experiencing a new resort.

I went back and forth on staying at the Hyatt or hiring a car from Mears, and I figured I'd just go for it and stay at the airport. It'll let me have a few extra hours of sleep.

I was also a little disappointed that I couldn’t find a workable flight from not Logan. If you’re from Mass. or have to fly out of Logan regularly, you’ll know why. Ah well. If this is my biggest problem this trip, that’s fine.

It'll be my first time at F&W too, so if anyone has got tips-- especially tips navigating solo-- I'm all (Minnie) ears!

Last edited:
My magic band arrived yesterday! Makes it all feel much more real.

(cat because you all deserve to see her)

Last edited:
Hi! So happy to have found your PTR - I've always wanted a solo trip, especially during Food & Wine! We'll be there the week of 11/3 - 11/9 and I am so ready for all things F&W!

While I don't have any tips on navigating F&W solo - I always recommend the Pineapple wine from the Hawaii booth, cheddar bacon soup from the Canada pavilion, and everything from Flavors of Fire!

Update! Upgrade!

I found a tower studio at the Riviera which was available for my dates. It's about 100$ more per night, but I figure it's worth it. I've not stayed in a deluxe resort since childhood!

Now I need to figure how to change my DME reservation. But that seems like a tomorrow problem.

It begins...
I have been debating taking a backpack this trip. I've never used one at Disney, and I haven't used one elsewhere in life since grade 5 or so.

I did some research on these forums and I decided on a small Vera Bradley backpack. I purchased (on Poshmark!) the backpack, as well as a wristlet and a phone case with lanyard. My intention is to wear the phone case on the lanyard around my neck, assuming it's comfortable. I've got an iPhone 11 and while it's not as massive as some phones, it's of a substantial weight, and the lanyard is quite thin. But we'll see! I don't think I'll wear the wristlet, but it's handy to use as a holder for my ID, gift card, etc.

img_7151-jpg.607637

I bought this bag at the Disney outlet the other week, and I thought it would be good for poolside. I'd heard during Covid that there were some issues with the resorts and towels, so I am thinking to bring my own just in case.

I'm also trying packing cubes for the first time. (LOL, I said in my title this was a trip of firsts). I found a set on clearance at TJ Maxx, so I'll see how I like them.

Attachments

• IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7152.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 2
Sounds like great plans so far. I use a vera bradley lanyard with the ID change purse all the time in everyday life. I love mine because I'm hands free when I go shopping.

More purchases... getting excited now! About a month to go.

This school year many of the new regulations have been relaxed, though we are still masked. On the one hand it's been nice not having to go through the extreme cleaning protocols. On the other, now parents are feeling safer, we have a full class again, and so many new children. It's... a learning experience. For all of us.

Anyway, I find I'm looking forward to this trip more than any other trip I've had in the last few years. Looking forward to getting away from the real world, and into the ✨magic✨

These purchases aren't terribly thrilling, but I'm a completionist so I'll include them just the same.

A nightshirt from Target that I'll use as a swim cover-up; sunscreen for body (I use Glossier invisible shield on my face FWIW); and a mini wet brush.

Following along! Fellow Bostonian here! We are flying out of Logan on Nov 13. I would have preferred Providence (Im half way between both, mileage wise a bit closer to Boston) because we are taking our 1 year old for her first trip! She will be just shy of 15 months when we leave.

I did a solo trip once, it was so nice and relaxing. I loved being able to go at my own pace and not worry I was holding people back! I also LOVE my packing cubes! I can be a tad bit OCD so I love having them to organize everything.

I've been so excited about this trip for months, and somehow it's still managed to sneak up on me! We did just finish up parent-teacher conferences, so that absorbed most of my energy for the last few weeks.

Anyway, had a last-ish minute trip to Target yesterday for my final few toiletries. Strangely I didn't have a spare contact lens case at home. I'm sure I must have spare somewhere; they come with every new bottle of Renu. Yet, alas, nowt.

I packed the majority of my clothes and accessories yesterday, which was very upsetting to the cat.

Day One: Travel Day (11/10)
1pm. Left work. Went home. Opened 1500 cans of cat food and placed them strategically around my home. The dry food and extra water I'd taken care of that morning.

There was no traffic on the way to Logan Express which was great. I mean, you figure middle of the day on a Wednesday there won't be. But there always is traffic at the most inconvenient times. But the Disgods smiled on me, and the trip was quick. And I found a parking spot right by the terminal. (For those not in the know, Logan Express runs buses from cities just outside Boston into the airport.)

I was starving by the time I got through bag-drop and TSA (pre check, natch). I found a decent Italian spot for mushroom pizza and a caesar salad. And a few beers. I'm an experienced traveller, but I'm pretty type A, so I get really stressed at the process of travel, if that makes sense. I always worry until I'm sat in my seat ready to take-off.

Anyway, I had a nice meal and a meander to my terminal. The flight was overbooked and they were offering $1000 cash, plus meal vouchers and a hotel for someone to give up their seat and travel the following morning. I was briefly tempted. That's a lot of money, assuming it was actual money and not Delta dollars.

My flight went fine, actually landed a little early. Unfortunately I was not able to take advantage of the ME this trip because my flight was changed, and I never heard back about changing my ME reservation. I did walk down and the queue was massive, so I just grabbed a Lyft. I arrived at the Riviera around 9pm.

I cannot oversell this enough: the Riviera is BEAUTIFUL. Stunning, gorgeous, looks like Linda Evangelista. Two other guests stopped me on my way to my room to tell me how much I was going to love staying here-- that's immense praise.

I stayed in a tower studio, and it was the perfect size for a solo trip.

As I was getting settled in I heard banging, and realized that I could hear (and see!) Harmonious. I'm ambivalent about fireworks-- but it was very special to see it from my balcony.

I was pretty tired from work and travel, so I had a quick shower and went to bed. The murphy bed was really comfortable and not hard to pull down from the wall. I found pushing it back up took a little more muscle, FWIW.

(FYI there is a good-sized bench built into the shower all the way on the left-- v helpful for leg-shaving)

That's the end of my travel day. Tomorrow is Epcot and F&W.

Last edited:
Day Two: Epcot & exploring CBR (11/11)
I woke up around 6.30am and sipped on some Joffrey's while I did my mobile breakfast order at Primo Piatto. I really like the music that plays on the home screen of the room TVs at RR. Very relaxing; not annoying.

I learned something about mobile order-- won't be new information for those who have done it, but it's my first time staying on property since Miss Rona reared her ugly head. I've certainly done online ordering at any number of shops and restaurants over the last few years, and generally the way it works is you're given an arrival time, and you show up at that time to collect your order. But here, you show up at your arrival window, then click 'I'm here', and they prepare your order. So I ended up waiting 10-15 minutes for my mickey waffles. Not a big deal, but going forward, I clicked the 'I'm here' as I left my room, and generally my order was ready when I walked into PP. The tower studios are pretty much as far as you can get from PP-- it's a pleasant walk, of course, but not short. The mickey waffles are as good as ever! Not that there was any doubt.

I got myself washed and dressed, and headed for the Skyliner. There was a cast member positioned at the entrance helping people find their correct line-- Epcot straight ahead, HS via CBR to the left. He clocked my Spaceship Earth ears and mask and sent me toward Epcot.

If there was one dampener on my day, it was a group of women behind me in the queue. They were maybe late 40s early 50s (old enough to know better) and they were making cruel remarks about a number of other guests in the queue. Typical things like mocking weight and clothing style. One of them said, 'if you want to feel better about yourself, go to Walmart or Disney'. People are people, but it's extra depressing (IMO anyway) to hear that in the Disney bubble. I always think of WDW as a magical place where we can let down our hair and relax and wear our silly ears without judgement. It was a bummer for a few minutes, but quickly forgotten as I boarded the gondola.

The Skyliner ride-- my first!-- was quick and easy. I arrived at Epcot about 9.30am, and I really didn't have a wait at security. The lines moved quickly. I went first to the Joffrey's kiosk and had a peach iced tea. I found a bench by the water, and sipped as I planned my day according to the F&W passport. There was a wedding in the UK pavilion! The bride looked beautiful. Things were a little Christmassy-- the decorations were starting to go out.

I started my walk around the World Showcase a little after 10am. I wanted to go to Mitsukoshi to purchase a gift for my Japanese colleague, but they didn't open until 1pm. So I kept walking and made it to Norway, where I paused for an iced viking coffee and school bread.

When I finished up there, I wandered down to Mexico, and did the Gran Fiesta Tour. I walked right into the pyramid and right onto the boat. I think everyone else was still queuing for Frozen, Test Track, and Soarin'.

As you can probably tell, I wanted to keep my day nice and relaxing! Lots of snacks and sitting. That's what vacation is all about.

I regret I didn't take more photos of the food and wine I enjoyed during food and wine-- but I found it awkward to manage the little tray of the food, the drink, and my things. And very often there was no place and sit and spread out. But I loved everything I tried; what stood out for me the most were the Teriyaki chicken bun at Japan, and the ravioli and lemon drop cocktail at Italy.

I didn't venture into former-Futureland any further than the Creations shop, where I did significant damage to my credit card balance. Or, I gained many valuable Avios for a future trip. I suppose the latter is the sunnier way to look at it.

I did run into an old friend though...

I left Epcot around 3pm, as the rains were starting. I had a nice Skyliner ride back to RR. We did have one brief pause where I worried a little about getting stuck, but it lasted about one minute and we were on our way again. Back in the room I had a quick shower-- the rain prevented me from visiting the pool-- and chatted with my fiancé for a bit. I called into Le Petit Café for another iced coffee with just a splash of Jameson's.

Around 6pm I decided to order a little dinner from Centretown Market at CBR. I took the Skyliner to the CBR stop, and then had a nice walk over to the lobby building. Had a quick mooch through the shop too, and purchased some H2O+ aloe gel and body lotion. I love that sea salt smell! I know it's possible to find comparable products for much cheaper, but I can't resist that little Disney magic.

Had a nice walk back to RR. The rain held off, happily. I stopped by Primo Piatto for some beer and ate dinner on my balcony. I watched Frozen before bed. No complimentary Disney+ on the TV, but I was able to chromecast from my iPad.

It was a wonderful day! My first time solo in the parks so I was a little nervous, but I suppose I didn't need to be. Plenty of people go solo.

I went to bed early to prepare for Animal Kingdom.

Day Three: Animal Kingdom
Oh me. Oh life.

I've neglected finishing this report for a good long while; apologies to anyone who's been waiting with bated breath. Many things have been happening in my life since the last instalment. Many, many things. Presently I'm enjoying this no-school day at home, recovering from a sprained ankle and a root canal (and a massive infection in my jaw). But the antibiotics coursing through my veins have spurred me on to finishing this report. Or at least making more progress.

Anyway, I went to Animal Kingdom a few weeks ago...

Waking up was a bit of a struggle this day. I seriously considered turning off my alarm and going back to sleep. But I didn't. I ordered my Mickey waffles from Primo Piatto as per. I think I didn't mention earlier that I ended up purchasing two resort mugs. I don't usually, but as they were for the 50th, I wanted to. Also I drink too much coffee on a morning, so I was chugging both every day. And I wanted some more 50th merch. A lot was sold out in the parks and I also wanted to get something that was useful. I don't need another shirt or another pair of ears*, but I would use a mug (*spoiler: I bought 50th shirts and ears at DS on day three).

On to AK! I finished up breakfast, got myself washed and dressed, and was out at the RR bus stops by 9am. It was a short wait before boarding. We pulled into AK about 10 minutes later, and I made my way to security. They gave my bag a quick poke, and I was released into the wilds.

Here's something interesting: I've never been to the Avatar part of AK. I've never seen the film, so I don't have any particular connection to it. Nothing against it, but there was always something more pressing. But I love to watch DFB videos and Molly from AllEars, and they love the cheeseburger bao buns-- and nothing tempts me quite like snacks. So I made sure to be in Pandora at lunch time-- the buns were good, not great; not bad, but nothing special. Still I'm glad I tried it. I also went on Navi River Rapids for the first time. It had a short-ish wait (about 45 minutes). Much like the cheeseburger, I wasn't upset about my experience, but I wasn't overawed. Maybe because I haven't seen Avatar, and therefore can't be impressed by the accuracy. It was a beautiful and meh.

The tree will never fail to impress me though. Just magnificent. The details, the sheer size; it feels cheesy to say it it's a brilliant feat of imagineering.

I did not have the best day at AK. It's silly, but my partner loves small monkeys. So I was excitedly sending him photos of them, and then I realised how badly I wanted him there with me. As I stated earlier, it was my first solo trip, and while I don't regret doing it, I wanted him with me. My happiest Disney memories are the two of us being goofy and sunburnt and happy together.

But it was still a decent time. Plenty of snacks!

I sat in Trilo-Bites with a Kona draft and my refilled popcorn bucket, which I'd purchased at Epcot the previous day.

I ended up leaving AK around 3pm, and hopped on the bus back to RR. Well, I exited via Island Mercantile and Disney Outfitters. I spent a little more than I wanted to, but I made a head start of some holiday shopping. Also I broke my sunglasses on the way out, and had to stop for a pair. (I've got blue eyes and I'm very sensitive to the sun.) They look just like my Ray-Bans, but they've got mickeys on them.

By the time I was back at Riviera, it started to rain. I had a shower, then went down to Le Petit Café for a hot coffee with a hint of Jameson's. I did some packing to prepare for my departure from RR the following day. For dinner I wasn't feeling too adventurous, so I just ordered some chicken strips, fries, and a side salad from Primo Piatto. I also used my 50th refillable mugs for some Peach Sprite Zero. I love Peach Sprite Zero, but I don't have many opportunities to have it in my life, excepting at the cinema (my local AMC has a freestyle machine), so that was exciting.

The rain stopped by sunset time. A beautiful last evening on the Riviera.

Days Four & Five: Disney Springs & MCO

I'm bad at remembering to take photos. I don't use Instagram or anything, so taking photos of all my food and beverages and purchases doesn't always occur. If I do another TR I'll make more of an effort! I swear! In that spirit, here's a half-drunk Joffrey's piña colada (a Disney Springs specialty)

I checked out of RR (on Day Four) and left my bags at bag drop. I promptly lost my bag ticket, so that caused some complications a few hours later when I went to retrieve them.I suppose I'm glad the resort values security so much, but even after I showed my driving licence they were very reluctant to give me my cases. Don't lose your tag!

It was a beautiful day to mooch around Disney Springs. Nice and sunny, but not too hot. Hotter than Massachusetts, but not unpleasant. I didn't buy too many things, although I did spent some 80$ on a Belle blanket at the Vera Bradley store. It was hanging in the doorway and I just had to have it. It make the cat happy, so it's all worth it.

I had lunch at Chicken Guy. I am obsessed by their chicken fingers and fried pickles. I sort of wish there were one closer to home, and am also glad there isn't one. Although if I have to nitpick, it's hard to find a place to sit there-- I wish they had more spots! I ended up going back to the covered area near VB/Columbia/Tommy Bahama to sit on the side of the planter and eat. It was fine. A table would've been nice, but it's hard to complain at Disney. There were loads of Christmas decorations already up; bit early for my taste, but very beautiful.

I called into Joffrey's on my way out and purchased a few bags of coffee. It's definitely overpriced for what it is, but it makes me so happy to bring home those little Disney touches.

I took the bus back to RR, collected my bags (just about!), and ordered a Lyft to MCO. I'd decided to spend my final FL night at the airport Hyatt, so that I could sleep a little later, as well as worry less about getting to the airport on time!

It was my first time at the Hyatt, and I was really impressed. The room itself was spacious, but the hotel property was huge. Like huge huge. I had no idea how far back the property went.

My only regret is when I checked in, she asked if I had a room preference. I said no, but I wish I'd asked for one of the rooms in the photo above, which overlooks the terminal.

I spent some time mooching in the terminal, going into the Universal and Disney Shops. I didn't buy anything, but I had fun window shopping. I did call into Starbucks and buy one of those PB&J protein boxes for breakfast. For dinner I just ordered some room service-- not chicken fingers this time!-- which was fine.

The next morning (Day Five) I woke up around 4am. I chugged some terrible in-room coffee and ate my protein box. I dropped my bags quickly (I did fly First so I was able to use the dedicated bag drop) but MCO was heaving this morning. I was in the security line for more than thirty minutes. When I finally got through, the queue for Starbucks as equally long. I did mobile order with the app, but there was still a wait. Although big kudos to the three young women who were working their collective backsides off that morning; smiling and pleasant even when many of the customers were not.

My flight home was also overbooked, although they weren't offering a thousand dollars again (or I definitely would have taken it).

I arrived in Boston around 10.30am. It was cold. I'd just missed the Logan Express bus, so I had to wait an hour for the next. I got home around 1pm, and the cat shouted at me until 2pm.

Reflections

I am glad I took my first solo trip. It was a nice treat during the Covid. I spent fairly freely-- flew First; stayed at RR-- which made things a little nicer too.

I've done a good amount of solo travelling in my life. Plenty of different countries one my own, so I wasn't intimidated by the idea of travelling without my partner, but I honestly did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would being solo. I don't regret it at all! I'd encourage anyone debating a solo trip to absolutely go for it. But I don't know if I could do another solo trip. I found that I really wanted someone with me at the parks-- I wanted someone to share my joy!

We're thinking about going back in April. I hope we can make it work! I really missed not seeing MK on this trip.

I'm really glad I decided to stay at MCO for my last night. It was cheaper than RR (duh) and it took a lot of pressure off me in the morning. Maybe if I had a later flight home I'd stay on property for the final night, but for a 7am flight, I recommend it.

Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter