First Trip with ECV - Game Changer

I'm so glad you had a great time with the scooter. I'm going next week and since I will need a scooter for the parks decided to just rent Disney's. I tend to get impatient waiting for buses and wanted to have the option to get an Uber or Lyft when I want - otherwise I would have gone with an offsite company.

This will be my first time using a scooter (and won't be my last I'm sure) and I'll be solo for 3 days so I'm glad to read a positive experience and read all of the tips from Mamabunny!
make sure you have an offsite number in your phone in case you find the park scooters too slow. have a great trip

make sure you have an offsite number in your phone in case you find the park scooters too slow. have a great trip
My Scooterbug scooter was fast. When we would get to a clear area my very athletic kids ages 16 and 20 would yell "Hare Speed"! And I'd go Hare Speed (the fastest speed on the dial) and get my kids to a pretty brisk jog - and they'd soon be yelling "dial it down, mom!". The scooters that you rent in the park seemed very slow to me. I also had someone come up to me in Epcot to ask where I'd rented the scooter, because they'd intended to get one at Epcot but the scooters were sold out that day. I'm not sure if that happens often or not, just repeating what these people told me.

After talking with my family, I did reserve a scooter for our upcoming May trip to WDW. With chemo still going on, fatigue is still a huge issue. I don't want to hold any of my family back. I've received some great info and tips from forum members and I do appreciate it. Since this will be my first time with an ECV, I have what maybe a silly question. Will I need to take an extra extension chord with me for charging the scooter in our Boardwalk Villa room? I'd like to make sure it is out of the way while in the room so I'm not sure if a plug will be available close by when it's out of the way. I have no clue what the included charger looks like, if it's permanently attached to the scooter, if it's a stand alone charger, or how long the cable is. Again, any info is appreciated.

After talking with my family, I did reserve a scooter for our upcoming May trip to WDW. With chemo still going on, fatigue is still a huge issue. I don't want to hold any of my family back. I've received some great info and tips from forum members and I do appreciate it. Since this will be my first time with an ECV, I have what maybe a silly question. Will I need to take an extra extension chord with me for charging the scooter in our Boardwalk Villa room? I'd like to make sure it is out of the way while in the room so I'm not sure if a plug will be available close by when it's out of the way. I have no clue what the included charger looks like, if it's permanently attached to the scooter, if it's a stand alone charger, or how long the cable is. Again, any info is appreciated.
The scooter that I rented from Scooterbug included a plug-in charger that was longer than I ever needed. I'd estimate the cord length at 2-3 feet. Probably 3. The plug slotted in at the rear of the scooter, on the bottom, so it's about level with wall outlets. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I also used an ECV for the first time on our last time (metastatic breast cancer in my bones has limited my stamina and ability to walk long distances) and it was wonderful. I worried a lot about using one there but as you mention, WDW makes it very easy to use and navigate where you need to go. I appreciated being able to still enjoy full days at Disney with my husband and kids and that wouldn't have been possible without my ECV. I would encourage anyone who needs to use one and is nervous about it not to hesitate. It was a huge help!

I also used an ECV for the first time on our last time (metastatic breast cancer in my bones has limited my stamina and ability to walk long distances) and it was wonderful. I worried a lot about using one there but as you mention, WDW makes it very easy to use and navigate where you need to go. I appreciated being able to still enjoy full days at Disney with my husband and kids and that wouldn't have been possible without my ECV. I would encourage anyone who needs to use one and is nervous about it not to hesitate. It was a huge help!
you are sounding like a veteran now. glad you had a great trip

Generally speaking, in the Villas you should find plenty of spots to plug in that are easy to reach, and will be no problem.

There are some scooter manufacturers that say in the owners handbook NOT to use an extension cord, so the advice we give around here is to typically not use one, err on the side of caution.

Most of the time the charger is not actually attached to the scooter - it will be a cord you plug into the wall, connected to a small black box (that does magical electrical things, presumably - sorry @cobright! LOL) and then another cord out the other side of the box that connects to the scooter itself for charging.

If you make sure that you fully charge your scooter overnight, every night in your hotel room, you should be fine for all day the next day!

Let us know if you have any other questions about using an ECV at WDW! 🙂

becareful and take it easy on the walkers in your party. have a great trip. if you decide to bring an extension card make sure it is heavy duty enough to handle the charging without over heating but I have never needed one

Is it just ECVs that Disney tends to run out of or do they sometimes run out of wheel chairs too? I'm not anticipating needing anything for mobility, but I am a bit concerned about having somewhere to sit down if I need to rest.

Is it just ECVs that Disney tends to run out of or do they sometimes run out of wheel chairs too? I'm not anticipating needing anything for mobility, but I am a bit concerned about having somewhere to sit down if I need to rest.
can not say for sure but I have never had trouble renting a wheelchair but have seen them run out of ECVs. where I needed to rest and no benches was near the lines for buses and park chairs can not go out to that area

can not say for sure but I have never had trouble renting a wheelchair but have seen them run out of ECVs. where I needed to rest and no benches was near the lines for buses and park chairs can not go out to that area
Thanks for the info. That seemed to be the case when we rented a wheelchair for my father in law at the parks several years ago, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case or not. Needing one outside of the parks is definitely something to consider, but since my illness began recently, I have no idea what I will need/be able to handle...unfortunately, there will be some trial and error involved.

Thank you for all this info. My parents are coming with us in October. My dad (who plays 1-2 rounds of golf a day - he's fine) hasn't been since we were kids, and my mom, who used to wear us out at the parks, has had multiple foot, leg and last year knee replacement surgery in the 15 or so years since she's last been with us. To say she has slowed down is an understatement. I was thrilled to hear she was excited to go into the parks with us and do the rides (I honestly wasn't sure if she would think she was up to it) but her comfort and stamina is a real concern. I don't want her to miss out on anything she wants to do and so was looking into her getting a scooter. I will share all this information with her!

Thanks for the info. That seemed to be the case when we rented a wheelchair for my father in law at the parks several years ago, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case or not. Needing one outside of the parks is definitely something to consider, but since my illness began recently, I have no idea what I will need/be able to handle...unfortunately, there will be some trial and error involved.

If you mostly need a "rolling seat", consider a Rollator - which is basically a walker with a built in seat (and typically a basket or bag under the seat for storage). They fold to a relatively compact size if needed, and are lightweight, so they won't tire you out. You can purchase one for a reasonable cost (they start at about $60 and go up) and are available at Walgreens, CVS, and of course Amazon. You may even find a friend, or someone who can loan you one for the trip - or many local Churches, or other civic groups (thinking here of Shriners, Masons, Moose, Elk, etc.) sometimes have "lending closets" locally. Call your local 211 helpline (if that service is available in your area), and they may be able to help you source a "loaner" as well.

Remember, if you fly, you will want to plan ahead for the airports - long lines at TSA, long concourses, and long walks to/from the curb can all cause problems as well. In the US, all medical mobility devices fly for free on US airlines - you can "gate check" it at the door to the plane, and it will be placed in the hold, and brought back up at landing to the door of the aircraft.

If you are driving, you can rent a Rollator, but it literally may be cheaper to buy one, have it delivered to your lodging, and leave it in Orlando for someone else to use!

This is so reassuring to read. Like you, I am able to get up and walk around, but my endurance/distance is what causes a lot of back pain and knee pain. The final straw for me was visiting Dollywood for just one day last year. Within a couple of hours of walking around, being on my feet, I knew I needed a scooter. Even though we were able to sit for certain shows, it was the standing that caused me to be really uncomfortable. I decided being miserable wasn't worth it just because I felt afraid or ashamed of how someone may view me. I'm imagining feeling so much better doing days at DW with a scooter!

This is so reassuring to read. Like you, I am able to get up and walk around, but my endurance/distance is what causes a lot of back pain and knee pain. The final straw for me was visiting Dollywood for just one day last year. Within a couple of hours of walking around, being on my feet, I knew I needed a scooter. Even though we were able to sit for certain shows, it was the standing that caused me to be really uncomfortable. I decided being miserable wasn't worth it just because I felt afraid or ashamed of how someone may view me. I'm imagining feeling so much better doing days at DW with a scooter!
I have also done scooter at Dollywood, just watch the hills there are a couple that do not allow scooters and a couple of others to be very careful on. again like Disney the park ones will not help you at end of day and the standing waiting for parking lot tram is a killer. have a great trip next time

I so wished I had a scooter at dollywood for at least part of it. Within 3 hours, my back and knee were killing me. I knew planning a one week trip to Disney, a scooter was a necessity. Otherwise, I'll be miserable within a few hours of the day and I don't want that kind of experience.

I so wished I had a scooter at dollywood for at least part of it. Within 3 hours, my back and knee were killing me. I knew planning a one week trip to Disney, a scooter was a necessity. Otherwise, I'll be miserable within a few hours of the day and I don't want that kind of experience.
one other thing at Dollywood would someone in your party have a gold season pass? if so have them show that rental for a discount

I just wanted to come back to this thread and thank all those that provided details and encouragement on using a scooter at Disney World. We just returned from our weeks stay at the Boardwalk Villas courtesy of my daughter and her family. It was so special to spend time with them, especially time spent with our 3 and 5 year old granddaughters. So much enjoyment. Being with them just made Disney World just that much more magical.

While there, we had the pleasure of spending a day on a Disney VIP tour. it was a great, fast paced experience. We hit Mgic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. It wouldn't have been as enjoyable or even possible without the use of a scooter.

My lovely wife had her XX birthday while there. In our case, we celebrated her birthday not only for a day but for the entire week. ;-) Lots of good eats and pastries.

For those interested, I used Scooterbug and everything went well. The scooter was there as soon as we arrived at Boardwalk. It appeared brand new. Although I placed it on the charger every night, the battery indicator showed full for the entire day. I had no problems getting on and off rides and in and out of buildings. Disney cast members were all so helpful. My family says I should rent a scooter for all my future trips.

Again, thanks to all who commented.

Thanks for your report! We will be first timers on a scooter and we are also staying at BWI. I was wondering how the scooter would do with trips to epcot and DHS since we will be using the scooter a little more because of the distance. Seems everything went well for you!

We walked and "scooted" the paths to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT with no problem. My daughter and son-in-law are both runners and push the stroller with my granddaughters at a fairly aggressive pace. My scooter was on 'rabbit' much more of the time than 'turtle'. ;-) On our way back from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk and EPCOT, we always used the Slyliner because my granddaughters love it so. My 3 year old granddaughter always says that "grandpa and grandma and the Skyliner are her best friends". No problem using the Skyliner.

Our trip turned out to be more pleasant than I had originally expected and a big part of that was because I bit the bullet and rented a scooter.

Seems Disney World is opening up a little more each day. This should help. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter