First trip to Vero Or to Ocean ??

LarryKeith

Are we there yet!!
Is the ocean good there to swim in, how bout the beach, is it nice or do I need some kind of shoes or flipflops to walk around in? Should I give the kids Riptide 101 lessons, or is it no issue, or does disney advise on this subject. I have heard detailed revues about resort but not alot about the actual beach. Is it really hot or is it a light enough color to stay cool. Are the waves big and alot or small and few. Is there any reefs near the disney beach, how about snorkeling right at resort. Sharks, jellyfish? Any danger you regular visitors can tell fellow DVC er.

I just posted about the ocean in the trip report thread above. Rip currents are an issue on the Atlantic coast of Florida, and while I did see a sign posted about them, there was no real instruction. I've been swimming in the ocean up here in NJ for years, and I taught DN how to swim in the ocean. She can recite the rip current instructions in her sleep now! My advice is to be proactive and teach your kids yourself and don't let them go out over their knees without an adult.

Depending on what time of year you go, the sand can get pretty hot. As another poster suggested on the Trip report thread, cheap sand shoes are a worthwhile investment. There are a TON of shells at the break line and they can get pretty sharp on your feet as you're going into the water.

I don't think there is any snorkeling or reefs in the area, but I could be wrong on that and there were no sharks or jellyfish when I stayed there.

I agree that you should teach your kids SAFETY on how to get out of a ripcurrent. I have been to VB 7 times and the riptide has never been bad but one never knows. The water has been always very very nice combination of good waves to small ripples. Two summers ago (August) I got nailed by a jellyfish (1st time ever for me) and boy did that hurt. But for the most part no jellyfish.

Saw a reefshark once in the waves... but again the rule of thumb is if you see baitfish jumping out of the water stay out of the water.

Have fun the beach is awesome.

:cool1:

I just posted about the ocean in the trip report thread above. Rip currents are an issue on the Atlantic coast of Florida, and while I did see a sign posted about them, there was no real instruction. I've been swimming in the ocean up here in NJ for years, and I taught DN how to swim in the ocean. She can recite the rip current instructions in her sleep now! My advice is to be proactive and teach your kids yourself and don't let them go out over their knees without an adult.

Depending on what time of year you go, the sand can get pretty hot. As another poster suggested on the Trip report thread, cheap sand shoes are a worthwhile investment. There are a TON of shells at the break line and they can get pretty sharp on your feet as you're going into the water.

I don't think there is any snorkeling or reefs in the area, but I could be wrong on that and there were no sharks or jellyfish when I stayed there.

Thanks for tipp. I have only seen documentories on cable about riptides. If I remember right if your caught in one to swim parallel to shore or at a angle into shore not straight in. eventually you will get into the water feeding the riptide and it will push you back to shore direction.
Is this right? What is your saying to help my teenagers to remember. You know how they are. They know it all! At least they think they do. TY again for reply, its all good info.

Hello,

Fitswimmer is correct and in fact rip currents or undertows can be a problem all along the Atlantic coast. I remember a time at Rehoboth Deleware when my daughter got caught in one and it scared the hell out of me. Fortunately, I was watching her like a hawk, because the lifeguard missed it.

Vero beach is probably just on the higher end of wave size (typically). Some days the waves are almost non existant and some days you get pounded just trying to get out far enough to catch one on a boogie board. Most days are just a good size for fun. Unless you get out past the waves this is not swimming or floating water unless you are a.... fitswimmer. :thumbsup2

I think kids of single digit age need to be acccompanied by an adult to actually go into the waves. Sitting on the beach and playing in the after wave surge is fine. Just don't be one of those parents that takes a nap in the sun while little Johnny is supervising himself. :mad:

Double digit age children and adults should have a boogie board with a wrist strap to go into the waves. Many may think this is over kill, but in my opinion it is likely that people on rafts or tubes or whatever are going to get separated by the waves at the worst time.

I love the ocean and riding waves :cloud9: . I spend almost all my beach time in the water or until DW tells me I have to get out because my lips are blue. Still, I always have the board strapped to my wrist. It is like wearing seatbelt... You don't wear it because you think you will be in an accident, you wear it because what is at risk is to precious to leave to chance. :sad2:

I have been going to VB for 7 or more years and have never seen a shark. On occasion have seen jellyfish and been lightly stung once, but that was pretty far out in the water.

The beach from mid June - mid Sept can definitely have hot sand, so it is smart to bring the flops along. I have never had a problem with shells and my feet. Though I did break my toe once :sick: by kicking a rock while DW and I were walking the beach in pitch black looking for turtles.

The water is too aggitated for snorkeling and I don't believe there are any reefs nearby. But for other things to do the VB resort provides daily activities for kids & adults with the best CMs of all the resorts.

They have a nice pool & Lighthouse spiral waterslide, a REALLY cool water deck area for the real young kids, a hot Jacuzzi, miniature golf, exercise room, ping pong, bike rentals, The Green Cabin Room (bar/restaurant) has 2nd floor covered deck that has a fantastic view of the ocean and is a nice place to relax with your favorite beverage. It also has live entertainment in the evenings. At night they have a campfire / s’more roast (bring the Cutter Advanced to fend off the No-see-ums). You can rent a small catamaran or jet-ski for ocean fun. Across the street they have a lake, picnic tables, nature trail, tennis courts, and basketball courts. Disney built a private tunnel under the road to access this area. And of course they have the ocean and great waves for boogy boarding. Everything from the ocean to the pool to your room is no more than 2 minutes away walking. So it is real easy to break up your day

5 minutes away is Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge and a wildlife education center. Just a few minutes further up the road is Sebastian Inlet State Park were the Indian River meets the ocean. There are many good fishing spots around the inlet, and there are river excursions where you can see dolphins, manatee, and tons of other types of wildlife. About an hour north is Port Canaveral, (where the Magic and Wonder dock), the Kennedy Space Center visitor complex, and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge with walking and driving tours. 20 minutes south is McKee Botanical Garden (18 acres) with some REALLY cool vegetation and trees. 30 minutes south in Fort Piece is the Manatee Observation and Education Center.

Have a great trip. :beach:

Not to scare anyone but there have been sharks in Vero. In fact, a young boy was killed by one in knee deep water in 1998 -- at Jaycee Beach down toward the center of Vero. (article below)

The ocean needs to be treated with respect and if you and your family aren't familiar with how to handle waves, riptides, etc. I'd suggest going into the water itself up at the public beach next to Disney where they have a lifeguard. Also, always keep an eye on the kids. The beach is lots of fun but it's not Disneyfied. Jellyfish are pretty much everywhere in Florida waters.

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/shark_attack_in_Florida.html

My 4 year old daughter was stung by a Portuguese Man of War (big jellyfish - not like the ones on the Gulf of Mexico if you are familiar). It was a horrible experience for her, and for my husband who also got "burns" from toxin transfer any place she touched him after her sting.

My husband is a fisherman - and was told by the local baitshop that sharks are an issue at Vero. We did not see any, but we were very cautiously aware after the warning. We did not go to the beach early in the morning or late in the evening - prime feeding times.

My older children (16, 12... oh, and Daddy of course) loved boogie boarding in the surf. However, the beach gets very deep very quickly, so it was not as much fun for the 8, 7, and 4 year olds. The surf was much too rough for my taste, and I never got in above the knees.

The shells on the beach were all destroyed by the rough surf - so if your kids are looking to go on a shell hunt they will be disappointed. However, the beach sand was soft and easy to walk on without shoes.

All of that having been said - we would go back right now if we could. Everything you read here about the Cast Members at Vero being the best at all of Disney is 100% true. The pool was a great alternative when the beach was just too windy or rough. The constant activities for the kids were awesome! Be sure you go to the campfire - it was a blast for ALL AGES. The resort is absolutely beautiful and the rooms were great - totally up to and exceeding our expectations.

Enjoy your trip!

I have been going to the beach vacations since I was a kid(that's a long time ago) and yes you have to be careful, it's not like going to the pool. I think it was Sanibel that in the evening you had to watch out for the little crabs on the beach.

The pool area will always be packed, so get there early. We even noticed that at the Homestead on Lake Mich(freshwater).

Not to scare anyone but there have been sharks in Vero. In fact, a young boy was killed by one in knee deep water in 1998 -- at Jaycee Beach down toward the center of Vero. (article below)

The ocean needs to be treated with respect and if you and your family aren't familiar with how to handle waves, riptides, etc. I'd suggest going into the water itself up at the public beach next to Disney where they have a lifeguard. Also, always keep an eye on the kids. The beach is lots of fun but it's not Disneyfied. Jellyfish are pretty much everywhere in Florida waters.

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/shark_attack_in_Florida.html

:scared: I didn't need to know that Pam, but thanks nonetheless.

I have been going to the beach vacations since I was a kid(that's a long time ago) and yes you have to be careful, it's not like going to the pool. I think it was Sanibel that in the evening you had to watch out for the little crabs on the beach.

The pool area will always be packed, so get there early. We even noticed that at the Homestead on Lake Mich(freshwater).

Aaaah.... Sanibel. Now there's a place you can go to if you don't like the waves and want white sand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter