First Trip Solo

I have gone to conferences at WDW, and while there, have toured the parks alone. I have never felt unsafe walking around - I stayed at Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach and often walked to Epcot. There were always lots of people around. I am kind of shy, and don't start up many conversations, but I must look friendly because lots of people have started up conversations with me! I usually travel with a large extended family, so to be alone and do whatever I want (like have a beer and a pretzel and people watch at AK) was really a treat. I never felt lonely. I noticed more being alone, and tried to spread the magic. Often when I saw a family taking a group photo, I would stop and ask if I could take the picture so that everyone could be included. I usually ate at counter service places outdoors and never felt awkward. Weirdest experience - it was right before Hollywood Studios was closing for the night, and I was in line for TOT. You know how the line breaks off for one elevator or the other? I took the path no one else did. I was the ONLY one on the ride! I was never afraid of the TOT ride before, but riding alone was really spooky!!

Wow! TOT alone...What an experience!

I haven't done Disney alone yet but have done all of the other parks (universal, seaworld, busch gardens, wet n wild etc.) solo.

To be honest, I love being solo! I went with my sister and met up with a group of friends last year and didn't enjoy it as much due to one person who only wanted to go shopping and wasn't really interested in the parks but she didn't want us to split up in groups. Anytime we went to the parks, she was moping around as she was left holding people things. :headache:

As for your points,

1. I've never stayed in a hotel with outside walkways before so I'm a bit nervous about it but then again thinking back to it, I was always the up early and back in the hotel early type of person during all my trips so will mainly be doing that for this holiday.

2. Lines can be awkward and I don't take anything to listen to or anything to pass my time. However there is normally so many people in this line with you in the exact same position that you end up talking to them and it is normally about where you are from, staying, how long you are stay, what you have been on, the weather etc and it passes the time!

3. As for loneliness, I suppose I'm so much of a talker I never notice it. I've met some awesome people along my travels, even before going to orlando, that I still keep in touch with them to this day.

For me, I keep myself so busy I don't get lonely. On my first solo trip,I had 3 people who told me to call them if I got lonely....they only heard from me the first night there and only when I was coming home.

I haven't done Disney alone yet but have done all of the other parks (universal, seaworld, busch gardens, wet n wild etc.) solo.

To be honest, I love being solo! I went with my sister and met up with a group of friends last year and didn't enjoy it as much due to one person who only wanted to go shopping and wasn't really interested in the parks but she didn't want us to split up in groups. Anytime we went to the parks, she was mopping around as she was left holding people things. :headache:

As for your points,

1. I've never stayed in a hotel with outside walkways before so I'm a bit nervous about it but then again thinking back to it, I was always the up early and back in the hotel early type of person during all my trips so will mainly be doing that for this holiday.

2. Lines can be awkward and I don't take anything to listen to or anything to pass my time. However there is normally so many people in this line with you in the exact same position that you end up talking to them and it is normally about where you are from, staying, how long you are stay, what you have been on, the weather etc and it passes the time!

3. As for loneliness, I suppose I'm so much of a talker I never notice it. I've met some awesome people along my travels, even before going to orlando, that I still keep in touch with them to this day.

For me, I keep myself so busy I don't get lonely. On my first solo trip,I had 3 people who told me to call them if I got lonely....they only heard from me the first night there and only when I was coming home.

I had the same experience when I went with a group of friends to WDW for the Princess half marathon. 2 of the people wanted to spend 90% of the time in the gift shops. I'm hoping my solo trip in October will be as good as yours turned out to be though I'm not quite as outgoing as you sound like you are. I see you're in Ireland, that's another place I'd love to visit. Though due to the cost that would probably be solo too! ;)

I did my first solo trip to Disneyland last October while attending a conference in San Diego and I have another solo trip planned for WDW this October while attending another conference in Orlando!

You'll have a lot of fun. As others have posted, it gives you a completely different experience. During my DLR solo trip, I kept a live report here on DIS so I spent the time in line posting pictures and updates on my thread in addition to talking to other folks in line. I also spent the time in line taking a lot of pictures of the queue and the great details that only Disney can provide! And don't forget to talk to the CMs! Some of them have great stories to share.

I had the same experience when I went with a group of friends to WDW for the Princess half marathon. 2 of the people wanted to spend 90% of the time in the gift shops. I'm hoping my solo trip in October will be as good as yours turned out to be though I'm not quite as outgoing as you sound like you are. I see you're in Ireland, that's another place I'd love to visit. Though due to the cost that would probably be solo too! ;)

I have friends going at the same time when I'm over there in September this year and they were asking me about sharing a room...well having to explain to them that it was probably for the best if we didn't was a surprise to them and they are all now talking about what they want out of the trip.

Don't worry about not being as outgoing as you think I am. You will still have a good time if you know what you want out of the trip and if needed, have a few people you can ring if you do end up feeling lonely so you can have a chat with them.

Yeah, my trips to Florida would probably be similar in cost to yours to Ireland :) Just remember to bring a good rain jacket, gloves and suncream as you could use all of them in the same day! :hyper:

Planning a solo trip this year myself (September) and am seriously going to try to make it to the 24hr day on the 24th. Never having been to DW solo - I have been having the same reservations - but the advice I've been reading is great and really making me feel better :)

OP - hope the advice makes you feel better and hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip!!:hug:

1: I stayed at YC on my solo trip, so I often found myself walking back from Epcot late at night, and I never felt unsafe. Usually I would pull out my phone and call someone until I was back in my hotel, but as long as you stay aware of your surroundings (as you should always do!!) you'll be fine :)

2: I find waiting in line boring even when I'm with people! I had my Nook with me, so sometimes I'd take that out, but most of the time I just people watch! It kills more time than you'd think! I like the headphone suggestion, I think I'll try that next time!

3: Loneliness. This is what I was most worried about before my trip. I'm used to doing things alone in the real world, but for some reason, the thought of being at WDW by myself made me really nervous! But I had a blast! I'm a very quiet person (until I get to know you) so I'm not one to strike up conversations with strangers, but everywhere I went, people went out of their way to talk to me. Maybe it was partly because I had my Birthday pin on, but waiting in restaurants, on the monorail and buses, in ride lines...I had really nice convos with other guests and CMs. It made me feel less alone. Don't be afraid to ask people to take pictures for you, that's another way to interact if you start to feel sad. Utilize your social networks, too! Post pics to Facebook and make your friends and family jealous that they're not with you :thumbsup2

I did find that eating at TS restaurants was more pleasant than eating CS, because I found hunting for tables with a laden tray in my hand really awkward. Often, once I actually found a table, I'd end up sharing it with other people, who weren't always the friendliest folks. Next solo trip, I will definitely be making more ADRs!!

Thanks for the great tips - especially about TS! Going solo in September and I was planning to eat mostly CS - but I think I will take your advice instead! :goodvibes

DEFINITELY looking forward to this trip and can't believe it's all booked! I have my flight my car and now my hotel. I'm looking forward to giving Shades of Green a try for the very first time, AND being so close to the Poly! :banana:

Have a great trip!! :cool1:

Planning a solo trip this year myself (September) and am seriously going to try to make it to the 24hr day on the 24th. Never having been to DW solo - I have been having the same reservations - but the advice I've been reading is great and really making me feel better :)

OP - hope the advice makes you feel better and hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip!!:hug:

When in September are you going?
I'm also there solo from 9/20 - 9/24 :wave2:

Solo is fun! My first and third trips were solo, and then on my other park trips, my friend had a sore hip (and a broken foot on one trip!) so she needed many breaks. I have been solo around the parks and at the resorts many times.

Enjoy your time! Take time to do whatever you feel like. If you feel like talking, talk, if not, don't! I remember my first trip I was a little nervous telling people I was alone so I kept telling people that I had friends back at the resort, or I was meeting them or whatever. It didn't matter. Now it's not a big deal.

I remember in Disneyland on my last night, I was in line for Space, and the line was LONG. It was the only time I felt really awkward, but that was because there was a couple making out and groping each other ahead of me and the group of young adults behind me kept cursing. No offense to those who curse, but I find it, well, offensive! :lmao: I understand sometimes you may have a need for it if you are angry, but every second word in a conversation just gets annoying. I ended up leaving the line, doing some more shopping and heading back to the resort.

I've stayed at Pop Century and All Star Music solo, but I've also stayed at All Star Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and the Grand Floridian. I could stay in any of those solo, but the price usually leads me to values when I am solo! ;)

My trip to DL in July is solo and my trip to WDW in Aug is with friends, but we may or may not split up some and do things on our own at times.

Have a great time!

Enjoy your time! Take time to do whatever you feel like. If you feel like talking, talk, if not, don't! I remember my first trip I was a little nervous telling people I was alone so I kept telling people that I had friends back at the resort, or I was meeting them or whatever. It didn't matter. Now it's not a big deal.

My mom told me to say this to people too. She was really worried about my first time in a different continent solo :confused3

So I did at the start and the person I was talking to that day, who also told me she was with a group, was in a room across from me also solo! :goodvibes We swapped numbers and went did some meals together during our stay!

I remember in Disneyland on my last night, I was in line for Space, and the line was LONG. It was the only time I felt really awkward, but that was because there was a couple making out and groping each other ahead of me...

:eek: I would leave too...

Well I'm a sort of bad swearer (the Irish word we use for swearing...that is just slightly like the f word..) but I don't tend to be like that in public about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter