First trip - how long for north shore?

grace&philipsmom

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

We are taking our first trip Aulani this summer. We have a shark cage dive booked on the North Shore from 9-11am. We wanted to check out some shops and get lunch when we were done. I have a surf lesson for the kids booked on Waikiki Beach at 3pm for the same day.
Will this be too rushed? Is there a chance we will miss the surf lesson?

Thanks!

IMO it is doable but it will be very rushed. Btw…we just did shark cage tour in April (7am) and it was incredible. We also went to some surf shops, had breakfast (Kono’s), swam at Waimea Bay and then picked up some great goodies at Ted’s bakery. It was a great day.

Oh jeez, that is pretty tight. Can you reschedule one? The thing with N Shore is that you can go up there and be just fine getting around, but then all of a sudden, there will be a ton of traffic and it will take 20 minutes to get 3 blocks. There are a bunch of tour companies that take buses full of people from one beach to another and it slows traffic down. And not to mention that N Shore and Waikiki are on the complete opposite side of the Island from each other. I would reschedule one.

Like others said, doable and you will most likely make it just fine, but I personally wouldn’t risk it!!! If you do just the shops, should be okay, since you can control the time.

Lunch can easily take over 2 hours depending on where you choose to grab food, they don’t call it island time for nothing. If I plan for 3-5 activities in a day, I know I am gonna only gonna get 2 done because things just move that slowly (I mean, move on island time :), as it should, you on an island aren‘t you?).

And if you hit any traffic in Waikiki (probably won’t before 3pm), that’s about 30-45 minutes you need to budget for just in case.

Great3

Hello all,

We are taking our first trip Aulani this summer. We have a shark cage dive booked on the North Shore from 9-11am. We wanted to check out some shops and get lunch when we were done. I have a surf lesson for the kids booked on Waikiki Beach at 3pm for the same day.

Thanks!
Yes, this is a bad plan. The North Shore and Waikiki are about as far apart as two things can get on Oahu.

Hello all,

Thanks!
Why not book a surf lesson up that way,,,there are plenty...we are going for 1st time in July and hear great things about uncle Bryans so checking them out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter