First time with toddler in the summer heat

TinkBink

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disney with our 2 year old in the beginning of September and I know it will be hot. The last time we went was in January and we were in our winter jackets. What are your must haves at the parks to keep toddlers cool? Also looking for recommendations for a great stroller fan. Thank you!

It will be hot, but Disney has so many 'indoor' attractions that it hasn't been that bad for us! We have only been doing park time until around 11 am each morning this week, then lunch and head back to resort or go back to the resort then lunch there. We have been having DD1 do stroller naps so I can be out to watch DS10 at the pool. Our stroller fan broke :( and I bought a Disney water spray fan here, I angle it towards her while she sleeps in the stroller. We have been going back into the parks for dinner and a couple of rides after 5 pm, but midday we aren't in the parks. MK has so many cool down indoor areas... including Dumbo's play area...DD1 loves it. Keep your little one extra hydrated and you'll be good to go. ( We always make sure to bring in cold bottled water, put in fridge night before and it stays semi cold. You also aren't spending a ton on drinks then) You are going to have a great time!!!! Have a magical trip :)

I don't have a stroller fan as the princess hates air blowing on her...or around her...

I do think a midday lunch/indoor attraction is key. We went last May and on the first day she wasn't handling the heat well. A nice break inside with cool air/food and something cold to drink did the trick.

The following days we either had a lunch planned or were inside during the heat of the day.

We were in Disney late aug-early sep 2 years ago with an almost 2 year old. Next time we go when it's hot, I'll invest in a cooling towel. We didn't have one that trip, but did often dip a receiving blanket in the cups of free ice water from the quick service places and sponge it over him. We also drank tons of that free ice water. A couple of the days, we basically did one ride, got ice water, then sat in an a/c show, then got more ice water, then another ride, then more ice water, etc. We usually sent one person to get water while everyone else went to the bathroom/changed the toddler, found a cool place to sit, etc so getting the water never really cut into our time and it was so very needed anyway.

He wore sandals to the parks and took them off whenever he was in the stroller. He liked to throw them, so we started immediately taking them off and putting them in the basket so they wouldn't get lost. I'd recommend doing the same. Socks and shoes can get really hot on a little one and no one is going to care if a toddler is barefoot in their stroller. Make sure to apply sunscreen to feet though if they're going to be barefoot as in a stroller, as that's one of the body parts that will see the most sun!

You may want to consider taking advantage of the splash fountains in Epcot or the Casey Jr Splash area in MK. When it's really hot out the kids will dry pretty quickly in the sun, or you can bring some extra clothes for them to change into.

If your little one is sensitive about sun in their eyes (mine was/is), bring some sunglasses. Also, if your stroller canopy is adjustable, that can help to keep out some of the direct sunlight. We also used a thin receiving blanket to help block out the sun when he took naps. I wasn't able to find a good stroller fan that wouldn't eat through a million batteries a day, so we tried to find cool places to take the stroller while he was napping, while also using rider swap during this time.

These are great tips! Traveling with my 2yr grand daughter in August and I will pass these on to my daughter. Love these boards!

We take Ice Towels. They just need regular water to 'activate' and give the little ones a lot of relief.
We didn't use a fan last time for our 19 month old, but I'll be getting one for our 10 month old this trip in September.

Also a lot of ducking in and out of shops for a AC break worked really well.

We did our first WDW trip in April 2015 when our son was 9 months old and Orlando was having a heat wave while we were there. When our son needed a break, we'd go in the baby care center. Most centers are large enough to have some toys, movies running on a large size tv, and have amazing air conditioning! (In contrast to the DL care center on Main Street which is tiny!). Mouse Gear was also a great place to cool off.

As for the battery operated fan recommendation, I can't remember what we had. But one with rechargeable batteries is a must! And I saw one family that had a solar cell on their fan and was instantly jealous!

Nap/Break from one to four. You'll also avoid the daily storm that way. If they won't nap, use the pool of where ever you are staying.

My last trip was with my then 14 month old. I was worried about her getting enough fluids and found food pouches helped as snacks. Easy to carry, I kept them in a small cooler and she got some extra fluids (in addition to water/milk).

We bought a simple clip on fan that attached to the stroller. It worked well. Make sure you keep your child hydrated with lots of water. We didn't push the water hard at first until we discovered our daughter was having dry diapers for hours. Then we started offering water much more frequently, and she was fine. We like doing table service lunches because they give you an hour long break from the hot sun. Fortunately most of the rides and lines are indoors, so the heat isn't too unbearable.

Also, bring your own stainless steel water bottles and fill them with water and ice at your hotel. It will stay cold all day. Fill up at water fountains or with water you get at meals. You will save a ton of money, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter