First Time Value Resort Trip, Will I regret it?

WGCFV

Mouseketeer
Hello folks, would like some honest feedback. We are annual pass-holders, typically visit 4 plus times for year and have always stayed at either a moderate or deluxe resort. With 2 kids in college, we are trying to be a bit more frugal as of late, and booked All Star Music for our next trip in October( will be myself, my wife, and our 13 year old). Thing is, we are a bit nervous about staying at a Value, we have heard stories about paper thin walls, noisy/ chaotic dinning facilities, and crazy bus lines at the end of the day when heading back to the resort. Will it be a hard transition for us going from a deluxe/moderate to a value, or am I just worrying too much? I am tempted to switch over to our old favorite the POR, but the price at All Star Music is sooooo cheap in comparison. Any thoughts? Thank you kindly.

Hello folks, would like some honest feedback. We are annual pass-holders, typically visit 4 plus times for year and have always stayed at either a moderate or deluxe resort. With 2 kids in college, we are trying to be a bit more frugal as of late, and booked All Star Music for our next trip in October( will be myself, my wife, and our 13 year old). Thing is, we are a bit nervous about staying at a Value, we have heard stories about paper thin walls, noisy/ chaotic dinning facilities, and crazy bus lines at the end of the day when heading back to the resort. Will it be a hard transition for us going from a deluxe/moderate to a value, or am I just worrying too much? I am tempted to switch over to our old favorite the POR, but the price at All Star Music is sooooo cheap in comparison. Any thoughts? Thank you kindly.
We were in your boat in the past as well. Now that the kids are teens, we’ve switched to staying value during the last few trips and absolutely love it!! I will say that we are also at the parks from opening until closing (or near closing). So we use the resort hotel to sleep and shower and maybe swim once or twice per trip. So I guess it depends on your vacation goals/strategy. We personally love saving the money for other things.

Also, bus service has been perfect for us too at values unless we just really got lucky. I don’t think we ever waited more than 20 minutes for a bus including right after fireworks. We had a seat every time a few weeks ago. Only once we had a busy morning rope dropping MK and we took an Uber which arrived in 2 minutes.

I’m a “deluxe” girl and I just don’t care for the Value Resorts for all of the reasons that you listed. They’re fine for a single night when I get better airfare for the day before a DVC stay but I just would not stay for longer. That’s not because I haven’t tried. I have. They were not pleasurable stays. If you’re someone who likes your resort time instead of just a bed and a bath, you will probably be disappointed.

I have such great memories from the All Stars Music resort. Stayed there my first ever trip to WDW, as well as on a high school trip, and once a few years back. I didn't care for the food there, but everything else I loved. So many great memories of the piano pool. I think if you're spending a lot of time at the parks this is a fine choice for you.

I don’t think Music has been refurbished. If going value, I would want a refurbished hotel. I believe Movies is done. I have done multiple stays at Pop which has been refurbished plus you have Skyliner access, separate buses and 2 food court access since you can walk over to AoA.

I don’t think Music has been refurbished. If going value, I would want a refurbished hotel. I believe Movies is done. I have done multiple stays at Pop which has been refurbished plus you have Skyliner access, separate buses and 2 food court access since you can walk over to AoA.

that's a great point on the skyliner

As others have mentioned, a lot depends on your touring style. If you are park warriors then the values are fine but if you want to hang around the hotel, do a TS at your hotel, want a hot tub etc then you aren’t going to like the values.

IMHO, yes, you will regret it. We tried AoA the year it opened thinking it was the "deluxe" of the values. It was the loudest, most chaotic resort I've ever stayed in and I couldn't wait to leave. I really don't care how much I'd save if I stayed there. I need to sleep and that doesn't seem to be in the cards for me at a value. I would do any mod, any day over a value.

I think because the Music is a little more spread out, that leads to it being quieter. If your room faces the main pool, there will probably be some noise, otherwise it’s likely to be quiet. I do not enjoy the food court at any of the value resorts, they are just too crowded. But, there are other places to eat so dining at the food court is not necessary. I find bus service from the moderates and values to be better than bus service from the deluxe resorts. But if you find it an issue Uber or Lyft is relatively inexpensive.

We have stayed at a value resort twice, and they just do not work for us for all the reasons you mentioned and others. When we vacation at WDW we really take advantage of the resorts and the amenities that they have to offer, and many of the amenities we enjoy are just not available at the value resorts. At this point, if it is between a value resort or no WDW, we would choose to stay home, they just don't work for us and how we like to vacation at WDW.

On the other hand, when we go to Disneyland we stay at the cheapest motel possible because we are literally at the parks open to close and the room is just a bed and shower, so if this is the type of vacation you are more looking for at WDW, and won't miss the amenities of the moderate and deluxe resorts, then the values may work well for you.

We have stayed from value-deluxe-DVC. It's Disney so it is fine. I do spend more time at resort when deluxe or moderate. When value I tend to hang out more in parks/lounges. Yes they are different vibes and experiences. VAriety is good-embrace the difference and enjoy!

All that is true.

140+ onsite stays with probably more than half of them at values because once we got APs we wanted to visit about 6 times a year, somewhere around 4-6 weeks. I could do that if I dropped back to the value resorts. BUT if DH comes .. after two stays at a value (Movies and POP) he said he absolutely will not stay at them again. He only wants to stay at CSR or AKL. I now stay offsite most the time because I can get so much more for my money.

ASMusic is sooooo cheap for a reason ........

Last edited:
Offsite is another option especially if you are driving. You get free parking at the parks with your AP. Just giving up 60 Fast Past Access. Have you looked at Priceline express for maybe getting a cheap rate for Swan Dolphin?

We've never had a noise problem at AoA and really love the landscape themeing there. That said, we've also done moderates and deluxe. I don't value one type over another, we really just choose based on type of trip we're going for, which location has a good deal, etc.

if it's parks open to close, value is fine. (Though DH does lean away from values when it's peak time like cheerleader or baseball events.) If we're purposely going for pool and resort time, we tend toward moderate. For quick park access, we lean toward Contemporary or Beach Club. That said, we've also had great relaxing trips with plenty of pool time at AoA.

I will also add that we're a party of two adults and we're also fine with food courts or TS, so we're pretty flexible in not needing to accommodate kids, pickier eaters, etc.

And in the end, wherever you stay will be great because your family is with you and they're the ones you're making memories with. Get your hippie on at one of the Pop pools or enjoy the music underwater at AoA; enjoy the gator slide at POFQ or the water oasis at Stormalong Bay... just have a great time and don't sweat too much on this one. If you find you don't love it, there's always a different resort next time.

As others have mentioned, a lot depends on your touring style. If you are park warriors then the values are fine but if you want to hang around the hotel, do a TS at your hotel, want a hot tub etc then you aren’t going to like the values.

I agree. If you are in the parks all day you will not mind the value, however if you use your resort as part of your vacation you may regret your choice.

WE are not resort snobs, but i make sure that I know my vacations style in any given destination before I book lodging. If the room is just a place to hang my hat, I book a clean but inexpensive room. If I want the room to be my central location and know I am not going to be gone all day every day I try to be sure there are amenities to make the stay more enjoyable. You know your vacation style so only you know if you will regret a value.

I personally don’t like the layout of Music. I’d pick Pop. But I think you should give a value a try, you might love it! We alternate between value, moderate and deluxe all the time, but stay the bulk of our nights at Pop for the savings. :)

There is not a ton of difference between POR and AllStars... The busses are just as crowded, the dining area is also very crowded. The busses and dining are all about timing. If you hit either at the wrong time, your gonna wait. I do think the moderates have a smaller peak window for busses and the dining area but its not much smaller. I do think the rooms at POR are a bit roomier and quieter but not enough to justify the cost. I do prefer the POR pool but again, its not that big a difference. If it were just 3 of us going 4x per year, we would stay at a Value 3x and a Deluxe 1 time. I can easily argue the benefit of Deluxe over Value but that line between a Moderate and Value is much more blurred.

We have stayed at all or most of the Values and Moderates and i can say, we never went home disappointed in the resort..

I've had to stay Value a few times ( about of 30+ trips ) and as long as you go into it realizing it will be a much different resort experience then I think you'll be OK.

I would suggest though, move to Pop. I like the location so much better and I think the rooms are a bit nicer. I also like the food court both here and AOA ( which is a short-ish walk ). With the addition of the Skyliner this will also be a nice way to get to Epcot or HS.

You'll never know until you try... that being said, I'd stay at All-Star again if they were refurbed (Movies is the latest refurb, so would head there), but I'm a Pop gal. I've stayed at all levels at Disney and enjoy them all for different reasons. If I want a lot of energy and excitement, and I'm going to mainly be in the parks, I go for Pop. If I want a really laid back time, I go for Port FQ, and if I want to be close to the parks, but spend time at my hotel, I'll go for something like Poly.

The loudest room I had lately was actually Beach Club. I find the quietest rooms at values to be away from the pool and on the highest floor. And I know it's the luck of the draw, but the buses at Pop always seem to come right on time.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter