First time in August

lizzie c

Earning My Ears
First time family visit in August - me and my son (12), my sister and her son (14) and our parents (60s). We're staying on International Drive and will not be driving. I know it will be HOT and have read tips that say get to the parks early, go back to hotel during hottest part of day and head out again in the evening. Is this practical using shuttle buses - or local transport - from IDrive? I'd be very grateful for advice.

:confused:

Lizzie,

Being honest, i don't think it would be practical using shuttle buses to and from the parks in one day.

My advice would be :-

Start off with the easier parks first eg Sea World, then towards the end of your holiday go to the bigger parks eg EPCOT.
NB Everytime i have been to EPCOT i have managed to get blisters from the amount of walking involved in the place ! Also it is a very long day, as most people want to stay to see the illuminations at 9.00pm
Get there as early as possible and then you can get back to the hotel and relax around the pool.
Try to use the fast pass and express systems in the parks- these will save you queueing in the heat outside.
Drink plenty of fluids.
and Overall remember you are on holiday so take your time. Take a look around some shops in the parks. The Air con is a god send !

Have a great time.

Paul

I know that there are other people on the board with different opinions, but I think having a car is just about essential, especially if you are staying off-site away from the Disney hotels and their free transport system. Other people will be able to tell you if it is possible to return to I-Drive hotels during the middle of the day using the free shuttle bus services, but I'd hazard a guess that this would be very time consuming. Is there any way that you could hire a car, even if it is only for a week? I don't think you would regret the freedom and flexibility that it would bring to your holiday.

I've been to WDW three times in August, and although it is hot I've never found it unbearable. Make sure you take it easy in the middle of the day (whether you are in the parks or not), and you will avoid the worst of the heat and humidity.

Regards

Rob

I agree with the previous reply, On our visit in May 1998 I did not drive until we went to St. Petersburg as we were on an organised trip with my DH social club and had all coaches laid on for the days that we visited WDW with them but on one our spare days we took a shuttle bus from Quality Inn International Drive, and it took us forever to reach MK as we stopped at numerous other hotels on the way - despite it not being cheap each journey to and from MK took at least 1 1/2 hours with 2 exhausted children. Driving is alot easier in USA, & as DH doesn't drive I am not at all worried, drivers are much more courteous and I have not experienced any problems.

We are also going in August 8 - 31st so we may se you there.

Hi

Just like you it is our first time in August, 3 - 24th, staying in Kissimmee. Temps look to be around 90 - 95 degrees. Hot, hot, hot. Looking forward to the heat, just hoping it is not unbearable, hopefully the heavy showers forcasted will be refreshing. Will be looking out for the lime green ribbons.

Bye for now

132 days and counting

Are you sure that the shuttles are free from I. Drive? I know that they are from LBV or Kissimmee, but not sure about I.Drive. The problem is not so much distance but traffic, which can make the journey a lot longer than it might be. If you are going in August, especially before about the 20th ( ish ) then the parks are usually open until late, so somedays you may be able to have a bit of a lie in and arrive later, and leave later. I guess it depends on what sort of park ticket you have, as you don't want to miss out on any of your time. We always go in Aug, and I don't find it too bad if you have regular stops for food and drink. Don't be tempted to miss these out in an effort to do stuff, because that is when you end up feeling faint. Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter