First time DVC buyer help

I can understand the point about the ROFR being a "bragging" board to a certain degree - people are excited to share low priced deals, but it was easily the most useful resource to me when shopping around. I'm sure that the average price posted there is lower than the actual average - but I don't see why that really matters. These are actual negotiated prices and deals that people are getting so I see no reason to think you can't get deals at those prices as well. If you are serious about purchasing, the key is checking the listings every day (maybe twice a day) and being ready to make an offer immediately. The deal I found was posted in the evening and I made an offer at 9AM sharp the next morning when the Fidelity reseller office opened. If you wait on a deal it will go away, but there are plenty of deals to be had for those who are both patient and persistent.

One of the reasons people are quick to point out that the ROFR threads are just a snapshot of buyers is because people reading them would get frustrated that they couldn't find the same kind of deals they were reading about. Things to note, not all brokers are as willing to broker low-ball deals. Don't just look at the per-point price, factor MFs and closing costs into the bigger picture. And plan to be patient if you're truly looking for rock-bottom deals. You will hear lots of nos before you get the yes you're looking for.

One of the reasons people are quick to point out that the ROFR threads are just a snapshot of buyers is because people reading them would get frustrated that they couldn't find the same kind of deals they were reading about. Things to note, not all brokers are as willing to broker low-ball deals. Don't just look at the per-point price, factor MFs and closing costs into the bigger picture. And plan to be patient if you're truly looking for rock-bottom deals. You will hear lots of nos before you get the yes you're looking for.

I agree you could miss out on several good deals waiting for that one elusive great deal that the ROFR thread gave you hope you could get.

There are many adjectives that can be used to describe the deals found on the ROFR thread, specifically the lower priced deals. I think the word "possible" is much more appropriate than the word "likely".

There are many adjectives that can be used to describe the deals found on the ROFR thread, specifically the lower priced deals. I think the word "possible" is much more appropriate than the word "likely".

agreed.

Also, there is a lot of value in them especially BECAUSE they are skewed low. They aren't designed, by my understanding, to show you average sales prices but rather to suss out the mysterious place that Disney may or may not be drawing the ROFR line. NOT to determine fair market price. Does that make sense? They are shining a light on the basement floor. The higher the contract listed, the less useful it is, unless we see Disney snatch it, and can infer that they are just taking whatever they need at whatever price it's available.

I also agree with the poster who said she used the boards to find a reasonable price--not too high not too low. Some people do a lot of research and shop at a lot of stores to find a fair price. Some pay rack rate and cement a deal that fits at a price they can afford. We tend to shop around a bit for items that are exactly the same. My mom would just buy the first one that fit her needs and be just as happy as us.

When I was buying I used the thread to see at what price Disney was taking...I wanted to make sure I didn't go through the process only to be let down and have to start over. I knew I wasn't getting a steal but it was important to me to close a deal and get vacationing. There may be some bragging, but it is a great tool for buyers, and I'm glad to have it...to OP, good luck with your search!

No it wouldn't. I could plan 2-3 yrs out if they'd let me! ;)

Yup, I'm with you! I guess it does support the theory though that DVC is really for those who can and want to plan Disney trips in advance. If someone is a last minute planner-6 months or so--then I can understand how this could be seen as a difficult program.

Thank you all for the input, its great to get a different perspective. I think my best option is to just make offers and see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter