First Time Cruiser- Catergory ??

Jeanny

I can feel the warmth now!
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm planning my first ever cruise. My DD was on the Magic this past February and loved it... as she disembarked, she called me at work and screamed "MOM YOU HAVE TO GO ON A CRUISE!!!!"

so, after spending this Thanksgiving at the Polynesian, we decided we'd take the Magic 7 day Western for Christmas 2003. She wants to go on the Wonder, but from what I can figure out, the Wonder only does 3-4 day tours & just to Bahamas??

Now, can some one please explain the difference in catergories and decks.... we want a room with a balcony, so I'm leaning towards maybe deck 7??? What's the difference between decks? I can't read the maps I've found, they're way too small for me to see what they have on them!!

Are the balconies on deck 7 & 8 only? what catergory would that be? I've seen threads on Laughingplace with Catergory 3 & 5, but doesn't refer to which deck they're on.

Help, help, help... I have a year to learn all about cruising, but I want to make reservations quickly before all the rooms are gone. I figure Christmas week will go quickly even a year early.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.
J. :-)

Yes, the Wonder only does 3/4 day Bahamas cruises. If you're looking to do the 7 day Wester, it will be on the Magic. I have yet to sail on the Magic, but the layout is almost exactly the same as the Wonder.

I'm not the resident expert, but verandah rooms are on decks 5 through 8. Really, the only difference between catagories 6 and 5 is where they're located on the ship. Catagory 6 rooms are on decks five and six while catagory 5 rooms are on deck seven. Catagory 4 rooms are slighty bigger verandah rooms, which also sleep up to five people, and are on deck eight. All suites, catagories 1 through 3, are all on deck 8.

You might also want to consider the catagory 7 enclosed balcony rooms, known as the Navigator verandahs. They are on decks 5 though 7.

Which deck is best really depends on what your preferences are. It seems a lot of people like to be higher up on the ship, but to me that's not a big deal. In fact, on our first cruise, we were on deck five, the same floor as the kids clubs. Seeing as DS practically lived there, that was the perfect location for us. We'll be on the same deck again on our second cruise in August.

I know you'll have a great time, whichever deck you choose!

We are booked for the Christmas cruise 2003 and are on deck 6, category 6. We have been on this same deck and same category room before and loved it! We are very excited about celebrating next Christmas while on the cruise! Hope to see you there!
Ann

We had a navigator's verandah on Deck 5 once. But have opted for the open verandah on Deck 5 ever since. That is a category 6 and well worth the money for what we like to do.

This past trip we had colds and opted to stay in our room til the worst passed. Having our dinner (room service) on the verandah while watching the sunset in the Bahamas was truly wonderful and VERY romantic (even with our colds!)

Happy sailing!
Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter