First time at OKW question

penguin77

<font color=red>I AM the Pretty, Pretty VMK Prince
We are going to satay OKW for the first time in May and I was looking for some room recommendations. We want to be close to the action, i.e. pool, lobby, food, ect. but want a good view. My DW is a photographer and wants some "good shots". Any help is apreciated.

I assume you are staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you are, it would be easier to tell you where NOT to stay. Most OKW villas have great views with the acception of the studios and those on the ground floor of a couple of buildings like 29. The studios are often set back into the end of the building, and usually surrounded by vegetation. Now, if you really want the BEST views, the 1-2 bedroom units in buildings 45, 46, 55, 56, 18, 16, 20, 21, etc, etc, etc, will have great views of either golf course or water. Now, if you want to be near HH and the main pool, you will want to be in buildings 11-29 plus 62,63,64. The building to stay away from if you are looking for a view would be 29 (iMHO).

I assume you are staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you are, it would be easier to tell you where NOT to stay. Most OKW villas have great views with the acception of the studios and those on the ground floor of a couple of buildings like 29. The studios are often set back into the end of the building, and usually surrounded by vegetation. Now, if you really want the BEST views, the 1-2 bedroom units in buildings 45, 46, 55, 56, 18, 16, 20, 21, etc, etc, etc, will have great views of either golf course or water. Now, if you want to be near HH and the main pool, you will want to be in buildings 11-29 plus 62,63,64. The building to stay away from if you are looking for a view would be 29 (iMHO).

We are planning our first time at OKW this summer too....but in a studio....are u saying if you want a studio there is NO GOOD PLACE? Which bldgs. would be the best if near the pool and would have the shortest walk to get something to eat? Also, when we make our reservation, can we request a specific bldg. to see if it's avail. at the time of our res.?! (Calling on the 23rd).
THANKS!

I'm saying if you are in a studio, you will not have good photographic oportunities that teh OP was asking about.

Just stayed in Building 23. 2331 2BDR this past weekend. Clean. No maintainence issues. View is limited by trees. This is another area of buildings convenient to the hospitality/recreation areas and bus stop. Enjoy your stay.pirate:

2ntlb3k.jpg

2r3knyo.jpg

Listen to dianeschlicht she knows a lot about OKW.

Penguin - I have to agree about staying in buildings 11 - 29 (although I'd probably cut it at 28) or 62 - 64 for being near the action. We have stayed in 13 and 26 -- both in studios and both without good views -- but we've enjoyed the "baledge" (cross between a balcony and ledge - LOL) even though we've been surrounded by vegetation - it's been nice to feel a bit secluded.

But in terms of convenience to the action, we think 11 - 14 or 23 - 26 or 62 - 64. What we like about 23 - 26 is the bus stop is the first one on the loop (nearly always guaranteed a seat when leaving the resort and first stop when coming back -- drawback - you have to ride the 15 minutes through the resort before you even leave -- but as a plus, if you watch your bus pull away, you have time to walk the <5 minutes up to the bus stop at hospitality house (which is where it picks up for 11 - 14 and 62 - 64). We actually prefer 23 - 26 over 11 - 14 because you have less traffic to worry about when crossing over to the main area --not so many cars coming from so many directions / loops. Plus everything we want to do is on the backside of the "main entry way" so we don't have to walk through people checking in and out :)

As for photographic opportunities, there are lots of locations where your DW will be able to get some beautiful photographs ... and as a photographer, I'm sure she wouldn't limit herself to just the view from the balcony :) So I'd pick convenience over view any day.

Just our experience :)

we are staying in a studio as it is just dw and I. so what can you recommend as far as close proximity to stuff

We just left a studio in building 18 yesterday. Nice location. View was not good from floor one. Lots of trees also. But we could walk to HH and that was nice.

I would agree that the buildings listed are probably better for getting a good view for photographic reasons. I would, however, suggest that you ask for a top floor room as the plantings have matured, interferring with some views even on the second floor.

I have also found that water views tend to have better views than golf course views.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can't ask for a specific room before check-in. You might call guest services to verify.

There is a link to the map of OKW in the main DVC area/OKW.

We recently stayed in bldg. 14 & had a view of a few trees & the driveway leading into the resort. Not to be recommended.:sad2:

I would agree that the buildings listed are probably better for getting a good view for photographic reasons. I would, however, suggest that you ask for a top floor room as the plantings have matured, interferring with some views even on the second floor.

I have also found that water views tend to have better views than golf course views.

There are very few studios on 3rd floors. Most 3rd floors are 2 bedrooms & second level of grand villas.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can't ask for a specific room before check-in. You might call guest services to verify.

You can put in a request but it's not guaranteed. Most times at OKW rooms are not assigned until you check-in.

facebook twitter