First Mammogram

Seems like I'm in the same boat:sad2: Went for a well visit yesterday and my doctor found a lump. Can't get the mammography until next Monday. Waiting really stinks. I'm going to a treatment center that will do the mammography, ultrasound and biospy if needed right there.

Hi Kerri, sorry to hear this.

Wish I could get it over in one fell swoop. Had my second mammo and ultrasound today. Have to go back Friday for a biopsy, then no results until next week.

Hi Kerri, sorry to hear this.

Wish I could get it over in one fell swoop. Had my second mammo and ultrasound today. Have to go back Friday for a biopsy, then no results until next week.

Think good thoughts!! And try to hang in there...the waiting is awful.

Hoping to hear from Kerri.

Still waiting for my results, biopsy was Friday. That was not fun. Is it common to have a huge dark purple bruise, or was my doctor just extra enthusiastic?

Still waiting for my results, biopsy was Friday. That was not fun. Is it common to have a huge dark purple bruise, or was my doctor just extra enthusiastic?

Sorry to hear that you are still waiting...48 hours is usually normal but with the weekend thrown in...I would call tomorrow if you have not heard anything.
I don't know about the bruising..did they use a fine gauge needle or did they do a breast core biopsy? The latter uses a thicker needle.

I went today for the mammography. Then, they did the ultrasound. It's all in the breast health suite at the hospital. Thankfully, all was well!!:worship::thumbsup2:cool1::banana: I did not need the biopsy afterall, but it's good to know that they would have done it right then at the hospital. The area that was in question, showed on a mammo that I had done in 2008. So, it was just my normal...and I think if my doc had examined me on a different day of the month, she would not have felt it at all.

Praying that you hear some good news soon!!

I hope you get some great news soon so no more worries.

Sorry to hear that you are still waiting...48 hours is usually normal but with the weekend thrown in...I would call tomorrow if you have not heard anything.
I don't know about the bruising..did they use a fine gauge needle or did they do a breast core biopsy? The latter uses a thicker needle.

I went today for the mammography. Then, they did the ultrasound. It's all in the breast health suite at the hospital. Thankfully, all was well!!:worship::thumbsup2:cool1::banana: I did not need the biopsy afterall, but it's good to know that they would have done it right then at the hospital. The area that was in question, showed on a mammo that I had done in 2008. So, it was just my normal...and I think if my doc had examined me on a different day of the month, she would not have felt it at all.

Praying that you hear some good news soon!!

Great News Kerri!!!

Good for you, Kerri! This is a good thread.

Still waiting. If I don't hear by 3, I'm calling.

I know this is an old thread, I was just searching for similiar issues as mine. And this thread brought them to me. I noticed Dancid didn't respond. I pray all is well.
I'm 49. Had a base line Mammo at 39. This is the first time I got a call. Being sent to the Dana Farber Cancer center for an ultrasound Tuesday. (today is Thursday). Around here in general getting an appt. within the week usually means urgent. But I am not going to project. However, any one inclined to send a prayer my way, or well wishes I know they have helped from you all before. Thanks.

Also, DMIL is a survivor. Her doctor told her they now believe stress is a direct contributor to breast cancer. (atleast that is what she told us initially upon diagnosis. And she is not a poor me kind of woman). Has anyone else heard this? Not that it matters for me. If I am going to stress I do everything I can think of not to, but I am curious.

And as I've said so many times before...THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE and sharing, caring, laughing and unfortunately sometimes crying together.

I know this is an old thread, I was just searching for similiar issues as mine. And this thread brought them to me. I noticed Dancid didn't respond. I pray all is well.
I'm 49. Had a base line Mammo at 39. This is the first time I got a call. Being sent to the Dana Farber Cancer center for an ultrasound Tuesday. (today is Thursday). Around here in general getting an appt. within the week usually means urgent. But I am not going to project. However, any one inclined to send a prayer my way, or well wishes I know they have helped from you all before. Thanks.

Also, DMIL is a survivor. Her doctor told her they now believe stress is a direct contributor to breast cancer. (atleast that is what she told us initially upon diagnosis. And she is not a poor me kind of woman). Has anyone else heard this? Not that it matters for me. If I am going to stress I do everything I can think of not to, but I am curious.

And as I've said so many times before...THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE and sharing, caring, laughing and unfortunately sometimes crying together.

Wish you the best :grouphug: keep us posted.

Wish you the best :grouphug: keep us posted.

Thank you AnnaS. I will. I go tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon for the ultrasound. Hopefully, I will be like others posted here and get the results same day. And if biopsy is needed it will be done then too. Thanks again.

had follow up mammo this afternoon,followed immediately by ultrasound, followed immediately by another mammo. Seems mammo's kept showing something. Ultrasound showed slight irregular tissue in gland, but nothing like what the mammo's kept showing. Doctor isn't too concerned. She has me coming back for a follow up in 6 weeks. She was going to wait the typical 6months, but after we discussed why she was having me come back, we decided it was more to do with my "cycle" than watching to see if it grew so... I am going back in 6 weeks in stead of months. I am happy I will be seen again before the WDW trip rather than after. (although who knows it may lead to more appointments, but I am being optomistic at this point.) Doctor says it is unusual for the mammo to show something (previous years mammo's have not) and to have such difficulty finding it on the ultrasound.
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers.

had follow up mammo this afternoon,followed immediately by ultrasound, followed immediately by another mammo. Seems mammo's kept showing something. Ultrasound showed slight irregular tissue in gland, but nothing like what the mammo's kept showing. Doctor isn't too concerned. She has me coming back for a follow up in 6 weeks. She was going to wait the typical 6months, but after we discussed why she was having me come back, we decided it was more to do with my "cycle" than watching to see if it grew so... I am going back in 6 weeks in stead of months. I am happy I will be seen again before the WDW trip rather than after. (although who knows it may lead to more appointments, but I am being optomistic at this point.) Doctor says it is unusual for the mammo to show something (previous years mammo's have not) and to have such difficulty finding it on the ultrasound.
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers.

Thanks for the update. I am sure it will be nothing when you go back in 6 weeks - at least you don't have long to wait to double check again. Keep us posted.

Someone recently told me that she had an MRI done and definitely saw something - before the biopsy she went for her routine mammo and it did not pick it up. She now tells everyone to have one ordered if they suspect something. I think I am going to tell my doctor to order it when I go again since I did have a call back two years ago and then the surgeon felt something BUT she knows the difference and it's nothing. I like to play it safe.

Someone recently told me that she had an MRI done and definitely saw something - before the biopsy she went for her routine mammo and it did not pick it up. She now tells everyone to have one ordered if they suspect something. I think I am going to tell my doctor to order it when I go again since I did have a call back two years ago and then the surgeon felt something BUT she knows the difference and it's nothing. I like to play it safe.
It's not always that simple. MRIs have their place, but they also have a high rate of false positive, often causing further procedures and worry. Plus, at $9K a whack, insurance companies won't always pay for them. Heck, I've had breast cancer and have a 5% chance of recurrence per year, cumulatively, and yearly MRIs are part of my post treatment plan of care. Yet last year my insurance company decided not to pay for them any more. I mean, you can ask, and perhaps they'll allow it in certain cases, but don't be surprised if payment is denied. Last time I had one I was talking to the tech beforehand and she said she's had to tell women newly diagnosed with breast cancer right before their MRI that their insurance company denied payment, then hear them crying on the phone. I never dreamed it would happen to me, but it did, and I've heard lots of stories from others as well. Everyone's belt tightening so they're picking and choosing which ones they're going to do, apparently.

You have a smart doctor. I have had that happen as well, but because I've had BC, they worked it up. I spent weeks thinking I had a new cancer because my surgeon said she thought it "probably was". I went in to the hospital for an excisional biopsy and when the radiologist went to place the clip, the "spot" could not be found. I was so shocked (and thankful) that all I could keep saying when they asked if I had any questions or concerns was "Are you sure?". :lmao: The radiologist at the hospital said had he been the one to see it initially, he would have recommended just repeating it. (In retrospect we realized the initial films were taken on the first day of my cycle.) They followed it for a long time, and my oncologist had me just continue to have my mammograms there for consistent comparison. My mammograms are tricky because I have a seroma and lots of scar tissue in my treated breast that takes a long time to sort through. (Although the spot I'm referring to was in the other breast, which is clear.) I'm usually practically sleeping in the waiting room while lots of others come and go. It's sometimes nervewracking, but finally hearing that everything is fine is a huge relief. Good luck in 6 weeks. I think you can be hopeful it will be ok. :hug:

Pea - the Doctor was wonderful I see you are from SE MA as well. It was at the new Dana Farber Cancer center in So. Weymouth.

AnnaS - The doctor mentioned an MRI, BUT said, IF she thought it was truly anything to worry about she WOULD recommend it for me, but she would hate to have me stuck with a thousands of $ MRI bill which she feels is unwarranted at this time.

Bottom line I have no history of BC (other than a maternal-great Uncle). So I am optomistic.

It may sound a bit corny, but it is nice to be able to come to the disboards to share with cyber friends. Thanks so much to everyone!

I'll update in 6 weeks.

Dee

It's not always that simple. MRIs have their place, but they also have a high rate of false positive, often causing further procedures and worry. Plus, at $9K a whack, insurance companies won't always pay for them. Heck, I've had breast cancer and have a 5% chance of recurrence per year, cumulatively, and yearly MRIs are part of my post treatment plan of care. Yet last year my insurance company decided not to pay for them any more. I mean, you can ask, and perhaps they'll allow it in certain cases, but don't be surprised if payment is denied. Last time I had one I was talking to the tech beforehand and she said she's had to tell women newly diagnosed with breast cancer right before their MRI that their insurance company denied payment, then hear them crying on the phone. I never dreamed it would happen to me, but it did, and I've heard lots of stories from others as well. Everyone's belt tightening so they're picking and choosing which ones they're going to do, apparently.

Wow - that much money? I can see why insurances don't want to pay their end. They don't want to pay much to begin with.

When I had my call back, my ob-gyn wanted an ultrasound too but after reading the mammo again, said the ultrasound was not necessary. I went to the breast surgeon because my ob-gyn had recommended I go the year before also since my mom has/d breast cancer. Hoping I don't need to worry or have any call backs in September regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter