Fireworks Return - MK HA Viewing Help

tobikaye

DIS Veteran
It just so happens that I already had plans to be at MK on July 1. I want to say that before the shutdown that there might have been a specific HA viewing area for the fireworks. Was there, or am I misremembering?

I know it might not be all setup like it was before, but I am trying to figure out options since it will not be a normal fireworks event. Since it is the first since reopening, I expect that many people that had reservations for that day will stay to watch or return to watch along with a lot of people with park hopping ability. Normally I have this down pat, but this time we will have 2 EVCs in our party of 3. Despite my sister using mobility devices, we usually did not watch the fireworks every trip, so when we did, it was usually the dessert party or from a boat in Seven Seas. My cousin is new to EVC life so has not had one for prior WDW fireworks viewing.

I really do not do much pre-planning for my WDW trips since we are more go with the flow, so I guess if this is all I have to figure out, I am good.

Terrific, thank you. I know that they may not be back in place, but I will check there to see.

Make sure you go plenty early! Even in the before times it was recommended to get there at least an hour early as it is first come first served and they don't always have room for everybody. I've shown up more than an hour early and had to squeak in at the back of the viewing area. I imagine being the first day back there will be a large pent up demand.

That is just a given for any HA viewing area at WDW. I learned that lesson back in 2010 with the parade viewing areas for HA. It was the first time my sister needed a mobility device at WDW. Getting the spot that was along the way by the bridge going towards Liberty Square was great for the parades. It gave the non mobility device users a spot to sit.

We might not even use the HA area for HEA, if they even offer it, but I want to know my potential options.

i will be in an ECV but my friend and travel companion is mobile. will there be any issues with her joining me in the special HA viewing area?

i will be in an ECV but my friend and travel companion is mobile. will there be any issues with her joining me in the special HA viewing area?

Nope, with a couple caveats:
1. IF the space is super packed with mobility devices, they may ask her to move a bit - usually not out into the general population but towards the back/edges
2. Depending on which show/location there may be issues with where she can stand so she doesn't block the view of other seated people. So again, as things start a CM may ask her to move slightly. Sometimes they want two rows of chairs/scooters and then have the companions stand behind those, etc.
3. Not for your situation but for others - they do sometimes get crabby about the number of friends/family because space is limited. 1 is always fine. A couple people are fine, especially if we're talking about a partner and a child or two, or the parents and young siblings of a kid in a mobility device. Once you start trying to have the whole extended family or large friend group fit, the CMs may make you split up because it would just be unwieldy. I have read that the cutoff is anywhere from 3 to 6, but it seems to vary as best I can tell.

Generally speaking, we have found that 1 person can almost always stand behind you (especially if you are kind of along the back row) or between mobility devices. Just ask any CM there - they are used to folks who either have not used an ECV at WDW before, or have never used the HA viewing area(s).

Are there any reports of these viewing areas being available since fireworks were started back up this month?

Make sure you go plenty early! Even in the before times it was recommended to get there at least an hour early as it is first come first served and they don't always have room for everybody. I've shown up more than an hour early and had to squeak in at the back of the viewing area. I imagine being the first day back there will be a large pent up demand.

Was the view still pretty good being in the very back of the area?

Was the view still pretty good being in the very back of the area?

Last time we were there (and there were still fireworks...) we were literally in the back "row", and had no problems. I could pretty much see everything, and the only time our view was cut off was when a large party insisted on squeezing in just in front of us, and they stood up until one of them looked around and realized that everyone else was sitting on the grass, and they sat down as well.

Last time we were there (and there were still fireworks...) we were literally in the back "row", and had no problems. I could pretty much see everything, and the only time our view was cut off was when a large party insisted on squeezing in just in front of us, and they stood up until one of them looked around and realized that everyone else was sitting on the grass, and they sat down as well.
I hate when they do that!! :) Thank you!

Maybe it's a different area? The multiple times I've been in the disability fireworks viewing area, it's a cordoned off area but definitely no grass. But same issue with people squishing in. I'm pretty short so being at the back definitely made it a bit more challenging to see the projections on the castle, but I could generally kind of sway back and forth when the tall people in front of me shifted. The kids on the shoulders thing is what did it for me though. heh. I did find that so many of the parties in the wheelchair area would have a couple people sitting and waiting, and then a whole big party of them would 'join' later. I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a party limit but never seemed to happen. I'd see the one person in a wheelchair with maybe 1 or two with them, then 45 minutes later 6 others would show up to join. Which would make an already crowded area super crowded. These areas are not very big. And I remember seeing people in wheelchairs being turned away because the areas were full. But the cast member that is supposed to keep watch has a pretty big area to patrol and people sneak in even though you're not supposed to step over the rope or move it yourself.

Maybe it's a different area? The multiple times I've been in the disability fireworks viewing area, it's a cordoned off area but definitely no grass. But same issue with people squishing in. I'm pretty short so being at the back definitely made it a bit more challenging to see the projections on the castle, but I could generally kind of sway back and forth when the tall people in front of me shifted. The kids on the shoulders thing is what did it for me though. heh. I did find that so many of the parties in the wheelchair area would have a couple people sitting and waiting, and then a whole big party of them would 'join' later. I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a party limit but never seemed to happen. I'd see the one person in a wheelchair with maybe 1 or two with them, then 45 minutes later 6 others would show up to join. Which would make an already crowded area super crowded. These areas are not very big. And I remember seeing people in wheelchairs being turned away because the areas were full. But the cast member that is supposed to keep watch has a pretty big area to patrol and people sneak in even though you're not supposed to step over the rope or move it yourself.

It might be... the area I was thinking about was the fake grass area that is between the Plaza restaurant and the Castle. Oddly enough, that's where we always wind up!

Everyone (and again - this was prior to the pandemic) typically would sit on the fake grass once the show began, which was nice; it gave everyone a break and a chance to sit and rest - and everyone could see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter