• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Firebreathing Dragon Flying Over New Fantasyland

magicbob

DIS Veteran
I did a quick search but didn't find anything about this here.

Has anyone seen the video of the "ultralight" fire-breathing dragon that flew through the skies to mark the grand opening of the new Fantasyland expansion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqve5mPRK0c

There's also a link there to some photos that reveal the daytime testing of the dragon (don't look if you don't want the magic ruined).

Sadly, the information states there are no plans for the dragon to return to the skies over WDW. I realize conditions need to be just right for the dragon to make his flight, but it would be amazing if it was a regular feature in new Fantasyland to see this dragon soaring overhead!

Sadly Disney said the fly over was a one time thing, but it was amazing!:thumbsup2

Who knows it could return, Disney plans change often!

AKK

In Disney they don't say never . . .

1) Not sure about that.
2) I can think of some "never" items for Disney.
. . . will WDW have a year without ticket price increases?
. . . will WDW stop using RFID bracelets to track your every move/purchase?
. . . will WDW ever have a boy's character meal?
. . . will WDW do anything for the guest without a financial return to Disney?
. . . will WDW build another resort hotel instead of more DVC's?
. . . will WDW eliminate DDP and go back to good food & unique menus items?

1) Not sure about that.
2) I can think of some "never" items for Disney.
. . . will WDW have a year without ticket price increases?
. . . will WDW stop using RFID bracelets to track your every move/purchase?
. . . will WDW do anything for the guest without a financial return to Disney?
. . . will WDW build another resort hotel instead of more DVC's?

They just did build another resort AoA and no one says you have to use DDP there are plenty of great food options. RFID bracelets can't track your purchases they aren't connected to any source of credit or money just admission room keys and fastpasses. Ticket prices haven't changed much if you think about it no one buys just a one day ticket so therefore it isn't a big increase at all because more days equal bigger savings. Disney is a company looking to make money there not going to do anything that wouldn't make money so keep dreaming on anything free.

disney lover at heart

no one says you have to use DDP there are plenty of great food options.

disney lover at heart
True, but DDP has destroyed a variety, originality and quality of food options at WDW. If you don't think this you obviously were never there when food was one of the reasons people went there! The decline started before the DDP but that surely accelerated it and finished off great dining choices.

SO AWESOME!!! The kid in me just did a bunch of backflips!!:jumping3:

I wish I was there to see that!! I'd love for it to just pop up one of the days I happen to be there!!!:dance3:

Did someone just tell TheRustyScupper that they are WRONG? BLASPHEMY! But really, your RFID bracelet can be tied to your credit card just like the KTTW card......thus purchases being tracked. TheRustyScupper is always right :)

Did someone just tell TheRustyScupper that they are WRONG? BLASPHEMY! But really, your RFID bracelet can be tied to your credit card just like the KTTW card......thus purchases being tracked. TheRustyScupper is always right :)

I was going to mention that RFID can and does track purchases, but I'd much rather discuss ways that WDW could incorporate the dragon into the parks on a recurring (if not regular) basis.

It would be amazing if he (or is it Maleficent, in which case she) just flew around Fantasyland for a while every night. I don't think they could incorporate the dragon into the fireworks show. Too dangerous to be flying around with fireworks going off all over.

If not an every day occurrence, how about appearances for MNSSHP?

And what's to prevent the "other guys" from stealing the idea and featuring a dragon flying around Hogwarts? They are already giving WWOHP a boost in the arm with the expansion. This would be another draw for new/repeat visitors.

They just did build another resort AoA and no one says you have to use DDP there are plenty of great food options. RFID bracelets can't track your purchases they aren't connected to any source of credit or money just admission room keys and fastpasses. Ticket prices haven't changed much if you think about it no one buys just a one day ticket so therefore it isn't a big increase at all because more days equal bigger savings. Disney is a company looking to make money there not going to do anything that wouldn't make money so keep dreaming on anything free.

disney lover at heart

truth!

I did a quick search but didn't find anything about this here.

Has anyone seen the video of the "ultralight" fire-breathing dragon that flew through the skies to mark the grand opening of the new Fantasyland expansion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqve5mPRK0c

There's also a link there to some photos that reveal the daytime testing of the dragon (don't look if you don't want the magic ruined).

Sadly, the information states there are no plans for the dragon to return to the skies over WDW. I realize conditions need to be just right for the dragon to make his flight, but it would be amazing if it was a regular feature in new Fantasyland to see this dragon soaring overhead!
~I saw the dragon & it was amazing what Disney accomplished. And, for one night only, Disney was able to steal everyone's attention away from what Universal is doing.

~I loved the dragon -- I wish Disney could keep him. :(

~I saw the dragon & it was amazing what Disney accomplished. And, for one night only, Disney was able to steal everyone's attention away from what Universal is doing.

~I loved the dragon -- I wish Disney could keep him. :(

Did you see it in person? I would have loved to. I can't imagine it won't be back some time.

That was cool! popcorn::

Question: Why would Disney spend all that money for the dragon flight for a one time deal? :confused3
Seems to me that Disney would get more bang for their buck if it was a reoccurring feature at night.

Did you see it in person? I would have loved to. I can't imagine it won't be back some time.
~No, but there was a Disney blogger who created some hype regarding "dragon" sightings, so I followed along. It was fun while it lasted. :goodvibes

I think Jake and Handy Manny are "boy" related, no? True, they could have more. Sadly, I agree with you on the food. Such a disappointment.

As for the dragon, didn't see it, only the videos when they came out months ago, I guess I'm the only one that wasn't impressed. LOL I'd rather see Disney spend money on something else more entertaining.

I think Jake and Handy Manny are "boy" related, no? True, they could have more. Sadly, I agree with you on the food. Such a disappointment.

As for the dragon, didn't see it, only the videos when they came out months ago, I guess I'm the only one that wasn't impressed. LOL I'd rather see Disney spend money on something else more entertaining.
~Wow, I thought it was awesome to see a dragon soaring above the castle! But, I also share your disappointment, because it does seem like a waste for just one night. I have to believe that there is something more to this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter