FEMA wants their money back!

MrsKreamer

College Admissions Counselor
I am so glad to hear this. We didn't see a dime from FEMA and knew of people double dipping...glad they are finally going to catch up with these people.

JACKSON, Miss. - Thousands of Gulf Coast residents have been told they must repay millions of dollars in federal Hurricane Katrina benefits that were excessive or, in some cases, fraudulent. In Mississippi alone, the
Federal Emergency Management Agency said it is seeking $4.7 million from 2,044 people, telling them in a form letter that they have four months to repay or set up a payment plan.

Some storm victims got duplicate or extra benefits because of FEMA errors, FEMA spokesman Eugene Brezany said, and others might have received benefits for expenses that later were reimbursed by insurance settlements.

Some others benefited "by intentional misrepresentation" or the mistaken belief that secondary residences qualified for payments, he said.

More people could get repayment notices as more applications are reviewed, Brezany said. Recipients could have received $2,000 to $26,200.

People who get the form letter have 30 days to respond. If they don't meet the four-month deadline, the U.S. Treasury will attempt to collect the money, Brezany said.

James McIntyre, FEMA spokesman for Louisiana, could not immediately provide figures for his state or others hit by Katrina. Aaron Walker, the agency's chief spokesman, said in an e-mail he also could not immediately respond.

The form letter sent to the aid recipients said that they could appeal the charges. Even so, it said, "FEMA strongly encourages" them to pay the debt or set up a repayment plan to avoid being charged penalties or interest in case the appeal fails.

Federal auditors have faulted FEMA for much of the benefit abuse after last fall's hurricanes, citing an inadequate accounting system. The federal
Government Accountability Office has said thousands of inappropriate payments were made because people could repeatedly apply for and collect benefits.

In February, audits by the
General Accounting Office and the Department of
Homeland Security found that as many as 900,000 of the 2.5 million applicants who received aid under FEMA's emergency cash assistance program — which included $2,000 debit cards given to evacuees — were based on duplicate or invalid
Social Security numbers, or false addresses and names.

Also in February, the Justice Department said federal prosecutors charged 212 people with fraud, theft and other counts in scams related to Gulf Coast hurricanes.

___

Associated Press Writer Brett Martel in New Orleans contributed to this report.

Link

:thumbsup2 I too am glad that FEMA is collecting from those who tried to work the system.

i am also happy that fema wants to get all their money back all those people that played the government and stole money oughta pay back

It disgusts me that something like this happens, and people try to take advantage of a terrible situation that way. So many people have lost so much. In the face of this, to still have such dishonest people trying to get what they do not deserve, thus robbing innocent victims of what they do deserve, makes me sick. If it weren't for freeloaders this world would be a better place. Get 'em Fema!!!

I just saw this today, and was going to post it. I'm glad that the government is going to crack down on people who double dipped or took payments for second homes and such.

IMHO if you've got enough money to fund a second home, you should also have enough money to take cover uninsured losses. (I say that as someone who used to own two homes, and actually probably will again within the next year or two.)

A lot of things come down to personal responsibility, and unfortunately, we saw a lot of people who obviously have none in the wake of last years hurricanes.

I'm not saying that no one should have gotten help, but there comes a point in time where people must take care of their own, rather than looking for handouts.

Our own MrsKreamer is a good example--she and her husband went to where they knew they could find work for as long as it took to get back on their feet, and worked towards the objective of getting back "home." They didn't just sit around in a hotel or shelter having a pity party for themselves, taking handouts from the government.

Anne

I too, am glad FEMA is going after the abusers.

I think that when there is widespread fraud going on then subsequent victems of later catastrophies suffer because there is less willingness to give money/help to them because we all remember what happened last time.

One of the things I love about America is that we are so generous. I want us to continue giving to those hurting and in need.

MrsKreamer said:
I am so glad to hear this. We didn't see a dime from FEMA and knew of people double dipping...glad they are finally going to catch up with these people.

Link

Oh yeah, they're catching up all right. Sooner or later, FEMA will catch up to the $22,000,000 they paid 9000 crooks for fraudulant Miami/Dade wind damage claims when Miami/Dade didn't have any wind damage ............ from the 2004 hurricane season.

Gooood luck!

ducklite said:
I just saw this today, and was going to post it. I'm glad that the government is going to crack down on people who double dipped or took payments for second homes and such.

IMHO if you've got enough money to fund a second home, you should also have enough money to take cover uninsured losses. (I say that as someone who used to own two homes, and actually probably will again within the next year or two.)

A lot of things come down to personal responsibility, and unfortunately, we saw a lot of people who obviously have none in the wake of last years hurricanes.

I'm not saying that no one should have gotten help, but there comes a point in time where people must take care of their own, rather than looking for handouts.

Our own MrsKreamer is a good example--she and her husband went to where they knew they could find work for as long as it took to get back on their feet, and worked towards the objective of getting back "home." They didn't just sit around in a hotel or shelter having a pity party for themselves, taking handouts from the government.

Anne

Well said! No moochers esp. the double dipers!

I find it interesting that the people in Florida are so quick to pass judgement on the people of Mississippi seeing how Florida has their own share of FEMA thieves. I'm from Gulfport, MS and know first hand how my people are suffering because I deal with it on my job and volunteer work. I say shame on you Florida for being so greedy and wanting us to do without so that you can have more. I bet if we spent our FEMA :rolleyes2 money on your beaches or Disney-whatever you wouldn't mind...eh?

wishfulthinkin said:
I find it interesting that the people in Florida are so quick to pass judgement on the people of Mississippi seeing how Florida has their own share of FEMA thieves. I'm from Gulfport, MS and know first hand how my people are suffering because I deal with it on my job and volunteer work. I say shame on you Florida for being so greedy and wanting us to do without so that you can have more. I bet if we spent our FEMA :rolleyes2 money on your beaches or Disney-whatever you wouldn't mind...eh?

I guess I don't get your point. No one here is saying that people should not be getting help who actually need and deserve it. The people who abuse the system are the ones who are going to be gone after to get the money they got through fraudulent means back. If FEMA gets the money back they will then be able to help the people who DO need it. No one wants those who are suffering to do without--just the opposite. We want the people who need it to get it, not the people who are engaging in fraud.

whatever...I guess what I'm trying to say is...we'll take care of ours and you take care of yours and mind your own business because we pay taxes too

That is not a very nice attitude. And for the record FEMA stands for Federal, so there is no ours and yours. For that matter, I am from MN so technically really don't have a "mine" to take care of, but I do have concern for all those affected by this.

wishfulthinkin said:
whatever...I guess what I'm trying to say is...we'll take care of ours and you take care of yours and mind your own business because we pay taxes too

If you are taking care of 'yours' then why am I helping pay for it up here in KY? It's the federal gov't. Don't you understand that means the whole country is supporting the relief effort? Not that I mind, actually I'm glad we step in and help but for heaven's sake, did you think all the funds going to Miss. victems were coming only from Miss. taxpayers?

have any of you been here and seen the devastation? have you listened to the elderly cry because they have lost everything they worked a lifetime for? most of the federal money is earmarked for roads and bridges and military use. only a small percentage is actually going to the people like a tiny bandaid on a very large wound. all these people want is to go back in time before Aug. 29 and there's not enough money in the whole world to do that. you are the ones who don't get it. the people of the Mississippi coast are a proud people and it took an act of courage and desperation to accept help and that was only after we were so overwhelmed with our loss. I know I'm just wasting my time trying to explain. we don't want money...we want our quiet peaceful lives back and that is not going to happen for many many years

It's about time! I soooo tired of people trying to benefit financially whenever a hurricane is in our vicinity, even when they haven't sustained any losses. :sad2: Yes, there are many people that have genuine claims and losses, but there also many that are taking advantage of the situation for their personal gain.

I know people that bought generators after Wilma, filed a claim with FEMA for reimbursement, then returned the unused generator to Home Depot. They doubled their money! :sad2: One family in particular isn't anywhere near needing financial assistance, but as the wife said, "It's about time I get something back from the government." :sad2: :sad2:

wishfulthinkin said:
have any of you been here and seen the devastation? have you listened to the elderly cry because they have lost everything they worked a lifetime for?
Yes - I have seen the devastation first hand - multiple times in Lakeview, Lower 9th Ward, East New Orleans, Gulfport and Biloxi. It is hideous beyond belief - but that still does not give anyone the right to lie and scam to get more money.

Some of the people who are committing fraud didn't live in the area or didn't have any damage. That to me is a terrible crime.

ducklite said:

I personally did not take any FEMA or other money because I did not need it. I don't begrudge the ones who need and deserve the money, but I have utter contempt for those trying to make an illegal buck off of others misfortunes.

Able people who refuse to work 9 months later and are demanding to be supported are truly lowlifes.

My sister had an evacuee with her for two months. Yes she got FEMA and Red Cross money, but she also got a job within 2 days of arrival.

wishfulthinkin said:
So if it is your business why is the Federal Govt sending money. I pay taxes so I do have a say and a right of accountablity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter