February'22 trip advice

PoohBearFamily

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We're thinking about taking our family of six to Aulani (the four kids are 6
Ages 6 & under) in Feb '22, as we have some flight credit that expire by March, and can't really go before Feb due to other reasons. We'd likely stay for 8-9 nights.

• is Feb going to be good swimming weather? My kids love a good pool/splash pad/lazy river

• The 1 bedroom we'd be renting due to family size is beautiful looking, but obviously pretty pricy. Can you do food moderately priced on site? Groceries?

• Id LOVE to not lug our 4 car seats with us or worry about a rental car ($$, too). Can we rely on a shuttle from the airport? What about day excursions (we may want to take a couple)?

Thanks so much in advance! We've never been to Hawaii and are so excited! :)

You really need to rent a car if staying in the Ko Olina area. Other posters have linked shuttles to Aulani from the airport, but I haven't looked at the cost of those. Frankly, I would want my small children in a car seat on the shuttle as well.

Food is more expensive in Hawaii and at Aulani than it is on the Mainland or at WDW or DL. With small children, I would get breakfast and lunch food at one of the grocery stores located at the exit before the Ko Olina exit. But once again, with this you will need a car.

Excursions - for us we find it much cheaper to rent a car than to pay for excursions unless we're in an area that has amazing public transportation so we don't need a car. In this case we will book one or two excursions. Even with the ridiculously high cost of rental cars right now, it would still be cheaper to rent a car than pay for an excursion or two for 6 people. For example, the Pearl Harbor excursion listed on Aulani's website starts at $215/person. Pearl Harbor is a free site. There are tours that you can book through the Peral Harbor site, but none of them come close to $215/person. You probably won't even pay that much for your family of 6 if you buy a basic tour package through Pearl Harbor.

Since this will be your first trip and you have small children, I think it would be easier to go with the flow of your children then what you would need for any paid excursions. There might be places you stop and the kids just really love it so you want to stay longer. Or, the kids are having a melt down so you need to go somewhere, like a beach, throw some towels down and let them sleep or rest.

the average high temperature on Oahu in February is around 78 degrees.

I know this isn't probably what you wanted to hear. Hawaii is our favorite vacation spot but it is expensive. We are also not people who can stay at a resort all day so we have to sightsee. Hopefully someone will come along and say they've done a family of 6 vacation to Aulani without a car and it worked fine.

You need a car and I wouldn't try to cram six people into a one bedroom villa. You'd do better in two standard hotel rooms IMO, and probably around the same price.

I'd really recommend changing your entire mindset though. You don't want to spend 8 or 9 nights at Aulani and not do much else. There are dozens of incredible things to do and see all around the island. I wouldn't do planned "excursions," but absolutely plan on driving all over the place.

You need a car and I wouldn't try to cram six people into a one bedroom villa. You'd do better in two standard hotel rooms IMO, and probably around the same price.

I'd really recommend changing your entire mindset though. You don't want to spend 8 or 9 nights at Aulani and not do much else. There are dozens of incredible things to do and see all around the island. I wouldn't do planned "excursions," but absolutely plan on driving all over the place.
I was wondering if you could even do this without breaking Aulani rules.

You really need to rent a car if staying in the Ko Olina area. Other posters have linked shuttles to Aulani from the airport, but I haven't looked at the cost of those. Frankly, I would want my small children in a car seat on the shuttle as well.

Food is more expensive in Hawaii and at Aulani than it is on the Mainland or at WDW or DL. With small children, I would get breakfast and lunch food at one of the grocery stores located at the exit before the Ko Olina exit. But once again, with this you will need a car.

Excursions - for us we find it much cheaper to rent a car than to pay for excursions unless we're in an area that has amazing public transportation so we don't need a car. In this case we will book one or two excursions. Even with the ridiculously high cost of rental cars right now, it would still be cheaper to rent a car than pay for an excursion or two for 6 people. For example, the Pearl Harbor excursion listed on Aulani's website starts at $215/person. Pearl Harbor is a free site. There are tours that you can book through the Peral Harbor site, but none of them come close to $215/person. You probably won't even pay that much for your family of 6 if you buy a basic tour package through Pearl Harbor.

Since this will be your first trip and you have small children, I think it would be easier to go with the flow of your children then what you would need for any paid excursions. There might be places you stop and the kids just really love it so you want to stay longer. Or, the kids are having a melt down so you need to go somewhere, like a beach, throw some towels down and let them sleep or rest.

the average high temperature on Oahu in February is around 78 degrees.

I know this isn't probably what you wanted to hear. Hawaii is our favorite vacation spot but it is expensive. We are also not people who can stay at a resort all day so we have to sightsee. Hopefully someone will come along and say they've done a family of 6 vacation to Aulani without a car and it worked fine.

These are great advice! Thanks so much :)

Our youngest two is an infant and toddler, would the rooms be able to conjoin? Sounds like we need to do the rental car :) thanks!

The pacific humpback whales are in the waters off the islands in February. It's a great time to see them although they tend to be easier to spot off Maui. You might want to consider booking a whale watching trip while you are there.

The pacific humpback whales are in the waters off the islands in February. It's a great time to see them although they tend to be easier to spot off Maui. You might want to consider booking a whale watching trip while you are there.

Wow that's so cool! I'll check that out. Thanks :)

Hi all! We're thinking about taking our family of six to Aulani (the four kids are 6
Ages 6 & under) in Feb '22, as we have some flight credit that expire by March, and can't really go before Feb due to other reasons. We'd likely stay for 8-9 nights.

• is Feb going to be good swimming weather? My kids love a good pool/splash pad/lazy river

• The 1 bedroom we'd be renting due to family size is beautiful looking, but obviously pretty pricy. Can you do food moderately priced on site? Groceries?

• Id LOVE to not lug our 4 car seats with us or worry about a rental car ($$, too). Can we rely on a shuttle from the airport? What about day excursions (we may want to take a couple)?

Thanks so much in advance! We've never been to Hawaii and are so excited! :)

Although I travel solo, I’ve done Aulani several times without renting a car. Whenever I do, I plan to eat on property, cook in my room, or go across the street to the shops and restaurants to eat. When I do rent a car, I do so from the Aulani Alamo and only for the days I plan to use it. I always book the Hele Hele Shuttle round trip from the airport to Aulani. The cost is $24 each way and is way cheaper for me than renting a car.

You can do Aulani for as cheap or expensive as you want. If you’re renting a 1 bedroom, you will have a full kitchen. If you don‘t rent a car, you can buy groceries downstairs in the lobby(limited selection) or walk across the street to the ABC Store which will have everything you need. Yes groceries in Hawaii are more expensive, but I’m ok paying a little more for the convenience of not needing a car to get them.

I often book the Aulani excursions that include pick up from the resort whenever I don’t rent a car or don’t want to deal with the logistics of visiting a particular site. Most tours only pick up in Waikiki, so the ones that leave from Aulani only do so certain times a week. Yes it costs more, but if it’s in your budget there’s nothing wrong with it.

Everyone does Hawaii differently based on their budget and the experience they want to have. Whenever I stay at Aulani, it’s usually for a week. I plan some days to enjoy the resort and some days to explore Hawaii. I go to Hawaii every couple of years and am still trying to do everything that’s on my list. Enjoy your trip and Aulani.

We own at Aulani and have gone in February a few times, always staying in a 1BR for 10-14 nights. Low point charts/cost, and a great time of year to go. We have 3 young kids, and last time we went, they were similar ages as your kids. I would definitely recommend the 1 BR (rather than two hotel rooms) with a young family, the space, laundry and kitchen are priceless. Put the two oldest kids in the queen pullout, the toddler in the low single pullout bed, and baby in the crib/pack n play. Rent a minivan for sure and buy groceries at Costco/grocery store in Kapolei. We BBQed or cooked almost all our meals. You will love it. Bring two carseats for the littles, and get travel booster seats for the two older kids (we have Mifolds, but I have also heard of the Bubble Bum).

@PoohBearFamily We've got 3 instead of 4 so we're not the same but close. Ours were also a little older their first time ...
Few things to think about ...
1. Budget - Budget like you're going to pay WDW prices for meals if you eat out. Even more if you're going to eat in a tourist area (Waikiki / Aulani).
2. Minivan - Definite for us. You will spend at least the cost of the van on the upcharge for the few excursions that leave from Aulani.
3. Meals - Island Country Market (ABC store across the street) is a slightly larger convenience store. You'll pay convenience store prices. You can save significant money hitting the grocery stores near by. We always eat breakfast that we cook in the room (kitchen is a life saver and will pay for itself). We'll eat lunch in "Aulani" days too.
4. My kids really like / liked PCC & Dole on our first trip but they both can get pricey for a large family.
Have fun!

Although I travel solo, I’ve done Aulani several times without renting a car. Whenever I do, I plan to eat on property, cook in my room, or go across the street to the shops and restaurants to eat. When I do rent a car, I do so from the Aulani Alamo and only for the days I plan to use it. I always book the Hele Hele Shuttle round trip from the airport to Aulani. The cost is $24 each way and is way cheaper for me than renting a car.

You can do Aulani for as cheap or expensive as you want. If you’re renting a 1 bedroom, you will have a full kitchen. If you don‘t rent a car, you can buy groceries downstairs in the lobby(limited selection) or walk across the street to the ABC Store which will have everything you need. Yes groceries in Hawaii are more expensive, but I’m ok paying a little more for the convenience of not needing a car to get them.

I often book the Aulani excursions that include pick up from the resort whenever I don’t rent a car or don’t want to deal with the logistics of visiting a particular site. Most tours only pick up in Waikiki, so the ones that leave from Aulani only do so certain times a week. Yes it costs more, but if it’s in your budget there’s nothing wrong with it.

Everyone does Hawaii differently based on their budget and the experience they want to have. Whenever I stay at Aulani, it’s usually for a week. I plan some days to enjoy the resort and some days to explore Hawaii. I go to Hawaii every couple of years and am still trying to do everything that’s on my list. Enjoy your trip and Aulani.

Thank you for the advice!!

We own at Aulani and have gone in February a few times, always staying in a 1BR for 10-14 nights. Low point charts/cost, and a great time of year to go. We have 3 young kids, and last time we went, they were similar ages as your kids. I would definitely recommend the 1 BR (rather than two hotel rooms) with a young family, the space, laundry and kitchen are priceless. Put the two oldest kids in the queen pullout, the toddler in the low single pullout bed, and baby in the crib/pack n play. Rent a minivan for sure and buy groceries at Costco/grocery store in Kapolei. We BBQed or cooked almost all our meals. You will love it. Bring two carseats for the littles, and get travel booster seats for the two older kids (we have Mifolds, but I have also heard of the Bubble Bum).

I'm glad to hear Feb was a good time! And that's good to know about Costco - yay. We'll check out those travel boosters. Thanks so much!

@PoohBearFamily We've got 3 instead of 4 so we're not the same but close. Ours were also a little older their first time ...
Few things to think about ...
1. Budget - Budget like you're going to pay WDW prices for meals if you eat out. Even more if you're going to eat in a tourist area (Waikiki / Aulani).
2. Minivan - Definite for us. You will spend at least the cost of the van on the upcharge for the few excursions that leave from Aulani.
3. Meals - Island Country Market (ABC store across the street) is a slightly larger convenience store. You'll pay convenience store prices. You can save significant money hitting the grocery stores near by. We always eat breakfast that we cook in the room (kitchen is a life saver and will pay for itself). We'll eat lunch in "Aulani" days too.
4. My kids really like / liked PCC & Dole on our first trip but they both can get pricey for a large family.
Have fun!

These are all great tips. Thanks so much!

You really should do the one bedroom. If paying with cash is pricey, check out DVC rentals. The only downside is they usually require a large, non-refundable deposit, but you can save 40 to 50%. The kitchen, washer/dryer, table, and extra space will all be amazing for your family. And if you rent DVC points, you also get free parking.

February is great for swimming because Hawaii has swimming weather 365 days a year. The only caveat about winter is that's when the north shore has huge waves that your kids can't swim in, but the Aulani beach will be as flat as always. And the pools will feel amazing.

Food on-site? You won't find moderately priced. You can get a few takeout entrees from the restaurants across the street for a decent price, but I would recommend eating out once a day for lunch or dinner and eating the other 2 meals in the room. Get sandwich supplies, cereal, eggos, or anything else you want.

How are you planning to fly the kids? If you're buying each of them a seat, I would bring the car-seats and rent a car. Once you install them you won't have to take them out until you're returning the car the last day. You can easily put them in the shuttle to get to Aulani, but for day excursions you will have a tough time finding a driver who can bring 4 kids. Driving is easy on Oahu and well worth it.

Hawaii is very different from other vacations in that it feels like a home away from home, more than almost any other vacation destination. You might spend half your day just sitting at the beach, then decide to go out for ice cream and pickup dinner on the way home. Or another day you have a fancy brunch, but then spend the afternoon going between the pools and room. And having the comforts of home, like a kitchen and car, makes the trip way more enjoyable and probably saves money in the long run. Everywhere except Waikiki has free parking, all the beaches are free, Pearl Harbor is free, and almost anything else can be done very cheaply as long as you can drive yourself there. I could maybe do 4 or 5 days at Aulani without a car, but if you've never seen the rest of the island then you need one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter