February 2019 - Love, Love Love ... A month of loving Disney, Healthy Living, Yourself

Topic Tuesday

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way? If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week? If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make?

Bonus Question: When at Disney how do you hydrate? Do you notice differences there than at home in your habits?
That was a great article. Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to share that with my husband, as he is NOT good at drinking water. He drinks a lot of coffee and soda. Sometimes iced tea. But since he's finally getting on board with trying to be healthier, I think he'll be open to trying to drink more water too.

I do pretty good with my water consumption when I'm at work. I have refillable water bottle that holds about 2 cups and I try to finish drinking it by each break. So I drink one bottle before school starts, one before my prep time, one before lunch/recess, one before the short afternoon recess, and then finish another before I leave for the day. Then I always drink water with dinner unless we go out to eat (maybe twice a week). So most days I have no problem making my 80 oz or more. On the weekends, I have to be a little more conscientious about it. I try to bring along a bigger refillable sports bottle of water with me if we are out shopping or going to one of the kids sporting events. Again, it's all about creating those habits.

As for taste, I've gotten pretty used to just plain water. I used to drink diet Coke all the time. When I first cut that out, I would use the flavor drops in the water whenever I was really craving a soda. Now I don't use them nearly as much. Maybe 2-3 times a week...sort of as a treat.

In Disney, I don't mind the taste of the water as I've heard some do. My husband doesn't like it. But I will stop at quick service restaurants and get a free cup of ice water often...more often if we are there in the summer. But I also usually drink more soda there than I do at home. So I know I'm not as good in Disney as I am at home.

How are you going with water consumption? Is it something you like the taste of or do you find yourself needing to add a flavour in some way? If you need to improve what are some strategies you could try this week? If you have successfully changed up your water habits, what differences did it make?

Bonus Question: When at Disney how do you hydrate? Do you notice differences there than at home in your habits?

This is the worst for me. I think I just live in a state of dehydration. My co-workers and DH are on me all the time to drink more. It is 1:07pm right now and I have maybe a sip of water. That is it. Nothing else. I have been like this my whole live. My mom and son are like this too. We just don't get thirsty. I am sure that this affects my skin as I have always had eczema and really bad dry skin. Also, I am sure this is why I had pre-term labor with DD and uterine irritability while pregnant with DS. Also, why I was never really able to breast feed.

I have gone at times tried to do better. I had an app at one time that reminded me to take a drink every 30 minutes or something. It was great but having to go to the bathroom with what felt like every few minutes was too rough at work since we don't have a bathroom in our part of the office. We have to go down an escalator, up an elevator to the 18th floor and then around to the other side of the office. it is a pain. Thankfully come May we are moving and this will change. I have made a goal of drinking 20oz of water each day this month. So far so good. I have hit it everyday.

I do not use any flavors because almost all of them have aspartame and that gives me headaches.

At Disney i do drink more water but not nearly enough. I almost passed out one day from the heat and not having enough water. We were in Adventurland so i quickly got Ice from a quick service place and ate the ice and then went and watched the Hall of Presidents. and then I was good. I also will not drink Florida or really any water south of North Carolina. It all taste gross. I can even taste it in the pop. Disney (the last time we were there) was working on putting in double filtration systems. This really helped. The Italian restaurant at the Boardwalk had the best pop and this is where I learned about the filtration system.

Good article!
I need to drink more water-I have started drinking water with dinner and seltzer or club soda in the evening-in the summer I’m better about drinking water with lunch as well. I also switched to water if we eat out as well. I hate paying 2.00 or more for a Diet Coke! When we’re in Disney (especially with family) we are pretty good with water-my daughter and grandson are prone to getting overheated so we are diligent about water breaks.

Interesting timing for that question! Truth is, I don't usually drink plain water UNLESS I'm at Disney, because (a)it's free (b)our trips tend to be in the summer, and you'll die without it! I drink a lot of diet cola... like almost exclusively... but I was thinking today of how horrendous it is for the environment, all those plastic 2-liter bottles (I recycle them, but still...) and fast-food cups. So I was thinking of trying to increase my plain water and iced tea... so I downloaded the plant nanny app, and we'll see how it goes...

Happy Year of the Boar!!! We made Chinese hot pot tonight... here comes another story!!!

Ok, so my DD15, like many American teenagers, is obsessed with anime these past few years... last winter, I noticed several of them mentioning hot pot, so I did a little research and found a place about an hour from here. What a *COOL* experience!!! They brought us a paper with all the different choices on it in both English and Chinese, and you just check what you wanted, starting with the cooking broth, then what type of meat (if any), what type of vegetables, etc.

We learned that first time that we *DON'T* like the red spicy broth... but the "clear" broth was very good. We got the beef sampler, which was thin slices of beef that you cook in the broth in a big soup pot at your table. We also got the veggie sampler, which was a WHOLE LOT of leaf vegetables... and we also got a side of lotus root because I'd always wanted to try it. DD15 wasn't impressed, no soup for her!

Then in the spring, DD11 was going through the mandatory "meat is murder" phase, so we went again, just her and me, and instead of beef, we tried the tofu sampler and mushroom sampler. That is how I discovered enoki mushrooms and tofu skins! We also ordered scallion pancakes, which were just amazing...

Ok so allll of that backstory was necessary, along with this fun fact... It costs us close to $100 each time we go there, just me and one or two of my girls! There are always lots of leftovers to bring home, but still... pricey! And actually, this is something that people all over Asia do at home, especially in China for the new year... translation, if they can do it at home, so can we! (Go ahead and laugh, you know this isn't going to end well...)

K, so first, we had to locate a place to get the ingredients. There are no oriental groceries in my town... but we found one 35 miles away and took a field trip there last night. I tried to prepare the kids for the experience, but even so, there was a lot of pointing and gagging and "ICK!!!" and other cultural insensitivity, I regret to admit... They loved the tanks of live fish and the trays of giant live crabs, but the pig snouts and duck tongues and frozen pints of beef blood were a little harder for them to wrap their heads around. Still, we found the special thin-sliced meat, frozen scallion pancakes, dried tofu skins (you soak them overnight,) enoki mushrooms, daikon radishes, lotus root (*SO* cool, they grow in a string, like beads, I didn't know that!!!) as well as all the odd leafy greens (chrysanthemum? Sweet potato leaves? Snow pea plant leaves?) And lots of more normal ingredients like regular tofu, rice noodles, and napa cabbage, too. But even grabbing the smallest amount of the leafy greens, we ended up with a *LOT.* Still, it ended up being about half the cost of a restaurant trip for a LOT more "stuff."

Fast forward through the making-the-broth scenes... It came out well, 'nuff said. I pulled down an old electric skilled out of the attic, because I'm way too cheap to spring for a special pot if I'm not sure it's going to work out... the downside is that meant that it was a bit shallower than the restaurant. H hates most vegetables, hates mushrooms, and would rather die than eat tofu... but he did eat the meat and he really liked the pancakes (not surprising, since they're high fat and a bit pricey.) That's probably good, though, because he ate mine, so I just had a little of DD15's, to see what they tasted like... because again, fatty and delicious, better to only have a taste or two...

So the cool thing about hotpot is that the longer it goes, and the more things you cook in the broth, the more interesting the broth tastes... so basically, about the time you're stuffed, it's just starting to get really good... which is great, since in addition to leftover meat and noodles and broth, I still have about a gallon of raw vegetables left to go!!!

So I'll be eating weird vegetable soup and tofu for the next week or so! :lmao: And I guess I'll be washing it down with less coke zero and more water?

Hi. I’m back. :)
I’m still fighting off a sore throat, but I’m not sick [insert state of denial]

I have to be careful with water. I’m on a diuretic for hbp. That plus eating low carb flushes my electrolytes. I’ve had low potassium and sodium in my blood work. I’m currently on a prescription potassium supplement. So I can’t water load. I probably drink about 4-5 glasses a day rather than 8.

I’m not sure what my DW plan is. My next trip is June. My last trip was also in June 3 years ago. I overheated at least twice. I’m going to talk with my doctor on my next visit and see what she recommends.

I love water! I drink it straight from the tap all day long. It is pretty much the only thing I drink. It's so yummy. I don't drink as much on the weekends I think because that's when I treat myself to a pot (yup, a whole pot) of tea. Saturday mornings are glorious!

So today was a snow day. That meant that the school was closed. Too bad I still had to go to work! I quickly changed the voicemail message to say we were closed and then ignored the phone for a couple hours. Lovely! The principal and I were trying to figure out what we did all day long in the peace and quiet. I was busy and so was he, but no big projects. A lot of little ones got done and boy did I clear out my emails! So wonderful, and I can see parts of my desk I haven't seen all year!!! We better have school tomorrow because I created all the documents I need everyone else to fill out and sign before payday. Don't want to re-do the form for any more days!!

While I waited to pick DH up from work, I paced inside the house. Nice to meet that goal and not freeze!

Its Woohoo Wednesday

What are you celebrating today? Share it all big or small so we can celebrate with you :-)

Its Woohoo Wednesday

What are you celebrating today? Share it all big or small so we can celebrate with you :-)
Since Christmas I'm down 12 pounds. Woohoo! I've really been watching what I eat, but still allowing for some small treats. Plus I've been sticking to my exercise routine.

My other woohoo is really for my son. But what makes him happy, makes me happy too. This is the week he gets his cast off. He broke his wrist while snowboarding right at the beginning of his basketball season. So Friday he gets his cast off and Saturday he will hopefully be able to play in his first game. :cheer2:

Its Woohoo Wednesday

I recommitted myself to following a low-carb diet. It’s only day 3 and I already feel better physically & emotionally. I have been tracking my food & weight in the MyFitnessPal app which forces me to truly see what I’m choosing to put inside my body. I’m continuing to work on being accountable to myself & trying very hard to remember to not let the eating behaviors of others affect my chosen course. Have a great Woohoo Wednesday all. I love reading everyone’s posts on here.

Since Christmas I'm down 12 pounds. Woohoo! I've really been watching what I eat, but still allowing for some small treats. Plus I've been sticking to my exercise routine.

My other woohoo is really for my son. But what makes him happy, makes me happy too. This is the week he gets his cast off. He broke his wrist while snowboarding right at the beginning of his basketball season. So Friday he gets his cast off and Saturday he will hopefully be able to play in his first game. :cheer2:

That’s wonderful! Think of all the people that have gained 12lbs since Christmas! And getting a cast off is always good news!

Woohoo.... I'm not stuck in the house today and made it safely in to work! I really could have made it yesterday and wish I'd done so, because I hate working at home. And I was stuck in the house with very little food... I don't know what I was thinking last Sunday (or not thinking), they were saying it would start to snow in the afternoon but it never occurred to me to go to the grocery store and stock up. I ended up having to call for pizza delivery yesterday, and I don't even like pizza, and it wasn't very good either. So poor planning gets me again.

Not so woohoo... they are forecasting more snow starting Friday and I'm supposed to head to my Sister's and then to the hotel on Saturday, so I think I need to re-book... I'm going to call them today. The hotel is on-refundable, but I'm not going to be asking for a refund, just to change dates so I think it should be OK. It would be great to be at the beach in the snow, but getting there not so much.

This is the week he gets his cast off. He broke his wrist while snowboarding right at the beginning of his basketball season. So Friday he gets his cast off and Saturday he will hopefully be able to play in his first game

Getting it off is such a relief - my sister just went from a cast to a splint - they couldn't 'find' a fracture on her xray and thought it was ligament damage - they have mucked her around with getting an MRI which I think she is finally getting now - I suspect there is a fracture there somewhere - she said it was still quite swollen and painful. My DS14 also has a fracture at the moment but he is in a splint - which he can take off if he gets an itch, and we get to switch out the sleeve every couple of days when it gets stinky :P

It’s only day 3 and I already feel better physically & emotionally.

That is great news - its amazing what a difference eating makes to our general wellbeing.

I’m continuing to work on being accountable to myself & trying very hard to remember to not let the eating behaviors of others affect my chosen course

That can be a hard one - hang in there :-)

We had two beautiful days this week and it reminded me spring is coming! I actually sat on my deck and drank a cup of tea enjoying the sunshine-in February!

Glad you were getting some nicer weather - sitting on your deck sounds wonderful.

Not so woohoo... they are forecasting more snow starting Friday and I'm supposed to head to my Sister's and then to the hotel on Saturday, so I think I need to re-book... I'm going to call them today. The hotel is on-refundable, but I'm not going to be asking for a refund, just to change dates so I think it should be OK. It would be great to be at the beach in the snow, but getting there not so much.

Oh no - I hope they change the dates for you ok

My woohoos are:

• My friend and I have walked once a week for 3 weeks now - as per our goal. Its not the just the walk but connecting - where we can chat more regularly is good too.
  • I am still tracking downwards in weight loss
  • I am eating lots of tasty food - and still losing weight! lol like last night I wanted something easy with little prep - went to the website I'm usisng and .... brie, salami, green salad leaves, avocado and macadamias was a 'quick' dinner idea! Kids had pizza - done o_O
  • Everyone on here - we are off to a good start and loving the chatter.

My woohoos are:
  • I am eating lots of tasty food - and still losing weight! lol like last night I wanted something easy with little prep - went to the website I'm usisng and .... brie, salami, green salad leaves, avocado and macadamias was a 'quick' dinner idea! Kids had pizza - done o_O
You’ve got this, 4Mickeys!
I think this is the key-you are losing weight eating good for you food that you really enjoy-and will continue to eat after you get to to your goal! All the times I lost some weight drinking shakes or eating boring meals I could never keep the weight off. For instance, tonight we’re eating chicken and roasted vegetables drizzled with fresh herbs and balsamic vinaigrette-the same thing I ate when I was trying to lose weight. My portion is just a little bigger and I’m adding cubed sweet potatoes. And maybe a small glass of wine :)

My woohoos are:

• My friend and I have walked once a week for 3 weeks now - as per our goal. Its not the just the walk but connecting - where we can chat more regularly is good too.
  • I am still tracking downwards in weight loss
That dinner sounds divine!

My wahoo is that I went for a walk with a friend today after work. I was planning to go to yoga, but when she asked I leapt at the chance. Yes, it was cold and we wore hats, scarves, and gloves, but it was sunny and just nice to visit with her. I really miss the comradery of walking with my friends. I did it for soooo many years. When we couldn't walk for a day or two we always laughed and asked how on earth the world could keep spinning without us to solve all its problems! :rotfl2:

Topic Thursday

Good Morning all

Topsy turvy!
Ev'rything is upsy daysy!
Topsy turvy!

Just as they turned Paris upside down to embrace something different and have some fun .... It can help us to flip our thinking upsy daysy when it comes to embracing a healthy lifestyle. When starting and even along the way on the journey we can tend to focus negatively, we think badly about ourselves, the foods we don't want to give up, the exercise that hurts and is hard to find the time to do, the weight that went up or didn't go down. So as this is the month of loving healthy living and yourself we are going TOPSY TURVY - for example:

Nothing fits, I hate my clothes = Yes! Shopping Trip - time for something cute
Changing my eating means I miss out on all the yummy food = Wow - these new recipes are delicious and I don't even miss junk food that much!
It's too hard - I can't stick to healthy eating - I always fail = Maybe it wasn't ME, maybe the regime I was trying was too strict and depriving
No more chocolate = I will treat myself with my favourite chocolate here and there
I hate exercise = I love seeing my friends for our walks (or other activities you might do together)

Soooo .... what thinking/attitude are you going to turn topsy turvy this month to help you LOVE LOVE LOVE yourself and healthy living ?

My wahoo is that I went for a walk with a friend today after work. I was planning to go to yoga, but when she asked I leapt at the chance. Yes, it was cold and we wore hats, scarves, and gloves, but it was sunny and just nice to visit with her. I really miss the comradery of walking with my friends. I did it for soooo many years. When we couldn't walk for a day or two we always laughed and asked how on earth the world could keep spinning without us to solve all its problems! :rotfl2:

Love it - well done - still so weird isn't it with our different weather - I was walking with my friend in shorts and singlet yesterday working up a sweat in the heat and you got out there in the cold. But look at us, we both did the same thing on opposite sides of the world. I love those feelings of connection that no matter how far apart we all are - we are all having similar struggles and good times :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter