Favorite Savory starters or entrees at restaurants or lounges?

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
I’ve been looking at menus, and there are more great sounding things than possible in a 3-4 day trip. Not interested in fried chicken or meat loaf kinds of entrees. What do you enjoy that has some depth and complexity?

In all honesty, nothing I ate last week on my trip was as stand out. Even the old classics like the Plaza Inn Fried Chicken, wasn't that good. The Monte Cristo from Cafe Orleans was very greasy and I know I will get banned for saying this but the Pomme Frites are just French Fries.

Of everything ate I think I still enjoyed the Baked Potato Soup & Fried Pickles from Carnation Cafe the most. But the soup was a little on the cold side. Hot tip the busser told me - dip the fried pickles in the soup for an extra special treat.

Last edited:
I like the soups/salad in the sourough bread bowls in DCA. I can't remember what the new name of the place is but it is connected to the Boudin bakery, where the bread bowls are made.

One tip I learned here several years ago: you usually end up throwing away most of the bread bowl. But you can ask for the soup or salad in a regular dish and have them put the bread bowl in a bag. You can also ask for butter and take a plastic knife with you. I usually eat the lid and save the rest to eat later, often on my plane ride home.

I like the soups/salad in the sourough bread bowls in DCA. I can't remember what the new name of the place is but it is connected to the Boudin bakery, where the bread bowls are made.

One tip I learned here several years ago: you usually end up throwing away most of the bread bowl. But you can ask for the soup or salad in a regular dish and have them put the bread bowl in a bag. You can also ask for butter and take a plastic knife with you. I usually eat the lid and save the rest to eat later, often on my plane ride home.
It's now Aunt Cass Café. [Edited to add: I've seen photos of the sign outside the café, and it has the "Boudin Sourdough" logo on it, thank goodness.]

It always pains me to see so much good sourdough go to waste, so I do the same as you and get the bread separately. As you say, the cutout part of the bowl is sufficient bread to go with one serving of soup.

Last edited:
I really like the smash burger at Ballast Point in DTD. I get it with parmesan fries. It's upstairs and on an outdoor patio so nice for people watching in DTD.

Achiote Glazed Salmon at Carthay Lounge.

We really enjoyed the crudité and Caesar salad at Cafe Orleans. The hummus they serve with the crudité is delicious and some of the vegetables are pickled, which was a fun twist.

The fish main at Blue Bayou was also fairly high quality and delicious.

My all-time favorite is the Al Pastor Pork Chop at Lamplight Lounge. It’s always good, but when executed just right it is spectacular.

For depth and flavor, eat in DCA. San Fransokyo restaurants all have unique food. Paradise Garden Grill often has very good specials.

The one place we don't like is Troubador Tavern (Disneyland). There is no kitchen so, while the food sounds unique, it is more mass production.

The squash blossom filled with braised short rib and The Celebration of the Farmers Market Spring vegetables (this is a salad with strawberries and fava beans) are both excellent starters at Carthay Circle Restuarant.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter