Favorite restaurants or dishes retired by Disney

Our favorite place for breakfast was Tony's. Oh, how I miss that!

Also, could you tell me where I could get the recipe for the green beans? They sound really good.

Heather

ETA: Okay, found the recipe for the green beans and I will be making those!

The lost and sorely missed great ones:

Spoodles: Had the most unique and interesting breakfast dishes WDW ever offered. Was foolishly replaced by a faddish celebrity spot.

Spoodles-50907-029.jpg

Concourse Steakhouse: a classic sleeper which was well known for decades among keen foodies for offering the best value for prime beef. The quality per $ absolutely blew away Le Cellier and Yachtsman.

Disney%27s_Contemporary_Resort_45627_3_09102006_0109585468_500.jpg

The Figaro Fries at Pinochcio's Village Haus...

The *original* scotch eggs at Rose & Crown in Epcot. (They recently brought them back, but they're not nearly as good....)

The pineapple and caramel at Ohana's is one of my favorite desserts. I also miss the cinnamon rolls they used to have at Tony's Town Square when they used to serve breakfast.

Sweet Potato Pancakes with pecan syrup at Boatwright's for breakfast!

I also miss the Fireworks Factory that used to be at Downtown Disney!

Absolutely loved the Fireworks Factory. My husband still has a T shirt from there and wears it on our trips. The "old Time" Disney cast members always comment on it!

I also miss the Fireworks Factory that used to be at Downtown Disney!

Yeah, that was another lost great spot.

Pleasure-Island-b-web.jpg

It was the closest thing has WDW ever offered to a bona-fide barbecue joint and there's nothing comparable now. The ribs (which came in three versions; pork baby backs, Texas beef, and veal back) were even good enough to impress those from regions like Kansas City and Tulsa. When it opened it also offered the only local micro-brewery beers available on property.

bbq-ribs.jpg

It was also one of the few TS places in PI that stayed open really late (until 2AM).:cool2:

What made this eatery all the more unique was the quirky theming. It was supposed to be an old fireworks factory that had been destoyed by an explosion . Parts of the walls appeared to have been blown off and there were yellow-and-black "danger" strips all over the place, as well as gunpowder stains on the floors.

Yeah, that was another lost great spot.

Pleasure-Island-b-web.jpg

It was the closest thing has WDW ever offered to a bona-fide barbecue joint and there's nothing comparable now. The ribs (which came in three versions; pork baby backs, Texas beef, and veal back) were even good enough to impress those from regions like Kansas City and Tulsa. When it opened it also offered the only local micro-brewery beers available on property.

bbq-ribs.jpg

It was also one of the few TS places in PI that stayed open really late (until 2AM).:cool2:

What made this eatery all the more unique was the quirky theming. It was supposed to be an old fireworks factory that had been destoyed by an explosion . Parts of the walls appeared to have been blown off and there were yellow-and-black "danger" strips all over the place, as well as gunpowder stains on the floors.

OOOh....I forgot about this place. I went there with my sister way back when and it was soooooooooo delish!!

There used to be a character meal in DHS that included many of the 'face' characters. I remember that the food was just so-so but the characters were great. We saw Aladdin, Belle, the Beast, Jafar, the Hunchback, Pocahontas and John Smith among others. I have some pictures of John Smith (who was VERY nice looking! ;) )kneeling down talking to DS that are just great and truly all of the characters were very attentive.

OMG I totally remember this! It used to be one of my favorite restaurants when we went to Disney because of all the characters.

My kids, DH and I were just talking about this the other day. We miss BEAVER TAILS from the small cart outside of Canada. We loved them. We also loved the SHE CRAB soup from Boatwright's and the CHICKEN POT PIE from Yacht Club Galley(now Captain's Galley) I also loved the FRENCH TOAST LOAF from the Main St. Bakery. I only had it once and when I went for it again, it was gone. The one show we saw when the kids were much younger and we only got to go to it once was the CHRISTMAS SHOW at the Contemporary. The food was good, turkey, ham, and I think steak or pork, the food was second to the show. It was fantastic. We do find new things that we have to have on every trip, but I do miss the old ones. :love:

'Ohana's pineapple with caramel. SO GOOD! :lovestruc I miss it so much, but the bread pudding is also good, so that's at least something that makes me feel better about the pineapple being taken off the menu.

Garden Grill's breakfast! I loved, loved, loved that place for breakfast. Dinner is still good, but the breakfast was my favorite meal on property.

I'm also sad to see that Disney took the Boca burgers out of the CS restaurants. So disappointed. I just don't care for the new Garden Burgers. I'll eat them, but I sure don't like them. And regular old white buns.. I want the white buns back!

I can't say that I miss the French toast loaf since I never had a chance to order it from the Main Street Bakery, but I did find the recipe on-line and made it for Easter. It was scrumptious :thumbsup2 I only wish I had a chance to try it in Disney.

I also miss a dish that they used to have in Spoodles. I'm not sure about the correct name, but it was a scallops au gratin dish and it was delicious.

And of course my heart always goes out to the Fettucini Alfredo from Alfredo's in Italy. I made it once with a recipe that I found on-line, but it just wasn't the same. It was the BEST I've ever had or will probably ever have again. Long live Alfredo's :littleangel:

Resturaunts I miss-Melvin the Moose character Breakfast at FW, Pure and Simple in the Wonders of Life, CRT when the lunch wasn't a character meal. and breakfast at Boatrights. I also miss the Strawberry Swirl at the Enchanted Grove, Pistacchio gelato at BC Marketplace, Peach Tarts at the French Bakery (although they're still on the menu, CMs there say they can't remember when they had them last), and the soup w/ half a sandwich option at CHH. I could probably think of lots more if I thought for a while.

My BF sorely misses the blackened catfish at Coral Reef. He had it when we went last May, but that would be the first and last time. If it was still around, we would definitely be going to Coral Reef this year, but without it, there's no real reason for us to go back.

We also miss Alfredo's. We do like Tutto, but wish Alfredo's was still around.

I miss the hand cut homemade fries that they used to serve with the rib eye at Grand Floridian Cafe. They now serve it with "parmesan frites" which is just a fancy name for the fries that they serve at all the counter service restaurants at WDW.:eek:

I miss the pork and duck "firecracker" (aka egg roll) at Jiko.

And I miss the staples of old-time WDW propaganda:

The "handwich"
Any "buffeteria"

The first was just as it suggested. It was a hand-held sandwich, in a cone shape. I liked the tuna. Crystal Palace used to be a buffeteria before the Pooh infestation. And the spot Chef Mickey's is currently located used to be one, as well. The buffeteria concept was somewhat adapted as food courts.

But the number one thing I miss, cue the reactions of shock and amazement: :rotfl2:

Foie gras. All the foodies who remember when WDW served it a few years ago are nodding their heads in agreement. I just know it. :rolleyes:

And I miss the staples of old-time WDW propaganda:

The "handwich"
The first was just as it suggested. It was a hand-held sandwich, in a cone shape. I liked the tuna.
Wow.

I'd forgotten all about the "handwich".

If memory serves, it wasn't just one restaurant in the MK that served them, they were available all around the park. The concept was you could just walk around and eat them at the same time without having to sit down. (And really, who wants to sit down when they eat ? ;) )

I kind of remember the tuna one as well....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter