Favorite Horror Movies?

Invaders is wonderful (I'm pretty sure you're talking about the original version). It's recently been restored for 4K.
Yes, the early 50's original. All the movies I listed are the originals.

Film1953-InvadersFromMars-OriginalPoster.jpg

The Skeleton Key

Somewhat realistic feeling scary movies get me every time. I can't watch this alone.

ALIEN
The Thing
Night-Day-Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Evil Dead 2
Carnival of Souls
Frankenstein
Phantom of the Opera
The Invisible Man
Too many to mention!
The original Carnival of Souls (60's) still creeps me out even tho I have seen a lot scarier, this is one of my faves.

Train to Busan
The Thing From Another World
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Halloween
Alien
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
And last but not least, Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein!

The original Carnival of Souls (60's) still creeps me out even tho I have seen a lot scarier, this is one of my faves.
It's wonderful! It's creepy, the style and atmosphere bring so much to the movie.

I also appreciate that it was done so inexpensively by a guy who directs training videos (Herk Harvey, who also plays the main ghoul chasing the lead around).

There are several horror films that have a similar plot twist as Carnival, like Final Destination, and some more obscure ones I'll mention in spoilers: Lone Survivor, Dead End, and Reeker.

And last but not least, Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein!
That's a classic!
I love that they actually brought in Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr, all playing it straight and serious. If they used goofy actors as monsters against A&C, it wouldn't have been as fun. That's what I think worked for Shaun of the Dead as well, the zombies were a real threat to the characters.

I agree. Lee Van Cleef, Peter Graves, and one gloriously goofy monster.

That monster was made by the great Peter Blaisdell, who also did the monsters for It the Terror from Beyond Space (also an old film that had some influence on ALIEN), Invasion of the Saucer Men, and The She-Creature.

I would also urge people to punish themselves watch Larry Buchanan's remake of It Conquered the World, ZONTAR THE THING FROM VENUS.
zontar-5.jpg

PS- I kid, but I actually like Buchanan's movies. He did a number of remakes of old American International Pictures films, the first of which I saw as a kid on TV was Curse of the Swamp Creature.

Nosferatu. I am a big fan of silent movies in general, and this one really holds up well and is very scary.
A remake just finished filming. Bill Skarsgard is in it, and it's directed by the guy who did The Witch and The Lighthouse. Neither of these I've seen yet, but I mean to.

Monsters, aliens, vampires, etc., tend not to scare me; it's the style and dread that the filmmakers can create that do it. The unrelenting nihilism of the story. Films that create dread and tension.

Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now
The Haunting (1963)
Hereditary
The Night of the Hunter
Us
The Silence of the Lambs
The Omen
Aliens
Halloween
The Exorcist
Psycho
The Babadook
X/Pearl

Monsters, aliens, vampires, etc., tend not to scare me; it's the style and dread that the filmmakers can create that do it. The unrelenting nihilism of the story. Films that create dread and tension.

Don't Look Now
Oh man, that ending!

Disney trivia for you, Wabbott: Disney's own Ub Iwerks worked on this film.
How about that! If ever anyone visits the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco, it's a great trip up the coast to Bodega Bay. The Tides Wharf & Restaurant - which isn't the building in the movie, since the original burned years ago - has some autographed movie posters in the lobby. When you're dining, and you see a seagull fly close to the windows, you're tempted to flinch.

https://www.innatthetides.com/tides-wharf-restaurant/

https://www.motionpictures.org/2013...f-how-a-disney-animator-helped-hitchcock-fly/

On the 50th Anniversary of The Birds, the Story of how a Disney Animator Helped Hitchcock fly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter