Favorite Disney souvenir from childhood?

As a kid, I wanted one of those double balloons, the clear ones with the second Mickey balloon inside for years. I never asked my mom for one because I'd feel guilty asking for an overpriced balloon. One trip years later we took with my nephew, I was 25 and he was 4. A woman in the lobby gave us her family's balloon, she said they were checking out and couldn't take it. I was happier about that balloon than my nephew was.

Such great memories .
I started collecting post cards from DL and WDW trips. They actually would have free postcards in the resort desk drawer too. I have a huge album held together with heavy duty bands to keep it closed. I figured one day this would be my very best memory and that day is getting closer and closer.
I wish I had collected character autographs over my lifetime... but I did get Santa Claus to autograph a postcard at DL... He has an official Disney signature too! Thank you, Santa

I thought it would be fun (and helpful!) if we took a trip down memory lane and talked about what souvenirs we chose as kids that either the memory of or the item itself remain a favorite for you. I remember lanyard pens and Mickey ears and the like, but my favorite thing ever was a sky blue pull toy music box of It's A Small World. This was from the early to mid 80s, and I remember it clearly even though my mother loathed that song and got rid of the toy by the late 80s. It had the prettiest music box sound and I could listen to it for hours-which is probably why she tossed it. :D I've looked to replace it on eBay several times but I've only ever seen one and it was sold. I'm 35 now and I'm still on a mission to replace it.

What are yours?View attachment 217436
I had a figment pin from 2003 that I cannot find anywhere anymore. I had it on my work bag for years and must've gotten caught on something one day and it was gone.

My favorite thing from Disneyland when I was a little kid (in my 50's now) was an invisible dog from the magic shop on Main street. It had a leather harness and a leash with stiff wire, so it looked like I had and invisible dog when I "walked" it down our street at home. I practiced and practiced to keep it level to the ground so it would look believable. I also collected felt pennants from all the vacation spots we visited and had one from Disneyland.

Mine was this little figment plush with his yellow shirt I got circa 1987. I don’t know what happened to it though.

I thought it would be fun (and helpful!) if we took a trip down memory lane and talked about what souvenirs we chose as kids that either the memory of or the item itself remain a favorite for you. I remember lanyard pens and Mickey ears and the like, but my favorite thing ever was a sky blue pull toy music box of It's A Small World. This was from the early to mid 80s, and I remember it clearly even though my mother loathed that song and got rid of the toy by the late 80s. It had the prettiest music box sound and I could listen to it for hours-which is probably why she tossed it. :D I've looked to replace it on eBay several times but I've only ever seen one and it was sold. I'm 35 now and I'm still on a mission to replace it.

Much needed. I started a thread about favorite closed attraction for the same reason. We all need a little Disney now. I got a Mickey t-shirt in 1981. They came back out but now they are pre-faded to look like they were bought in 1981 😕

I went for the first time in elementary school and picked out dangly earrings that were a piece of popped corn. Why I picked those out of everything there I have no idea. I loved those earrings though.

My favorite Disney souvenirs that I still have at my parents house are my Disney hats/ears. I have a hat from almost every trip I’ve been on. Goofy hat from spring break 96, sorcerer Mickey hat from Christmas 97, cheetah print Mickey ears from when my sister went to the dance comp in 2002, and classic Mickey ear hat with my name on the back from 2005 escape from hurricane katrina! I also made my mom save the plushies we bought from the parks, mostly because they were expensive and I have quite the collection. And an honorable mention goes to my hand painted parasole from liberty square. When my husband and I take our September trip I’ll be continuing the tradition of getting a hat for the trip. But also want to pickup a cool popcorn bucket!

I used to buy the Disney snow globes. They were super cool in my eyes. I think my favorite souvenirs were autograph books and special photos though. I also loved my Golden Horseshoe cup from Disneyland, which was shaped like a cowboy boot.

I used to buy the Disney snow globes. They were super cool in my eyes. I think my favorite souvenirs were autograph books and special photos though. I also loved my Golden Horseshoe cup from Disneyland, which was shaped like a cowboy boot.

I actually want to start collecting the snowglobes now! I lurves them!

I went for the first time in elementary school and picked out dangly earrings that were a piece of popped corn. Why I picked those out of everything there I have no idea. I loved those earrings though.
Can I tell you though? That's the sort of thing that *I* would know would be a Disney memory that doesn't scream cartoons, you know? I *adore* the smell and taste of Disney popcorn. It's part of the experience for me. I'd totally rock those earrings now!

As a kid, I wanted one of those double balloons, the clear ones with the second Mickey balloon inside for years. I never asked my mom for one because I'd feel guilty asking for an overpriced balloon. One trip years later we took with my nephew, I was 25 and he was 4. A woman in the lobby gave us her family's balloon, she said they were checking out and couldn't take it. I was happier about that balloon than my nephew was.

Me too!!! And I never got one, and I've never purchased one for my kids either for that same reason. I'm not carrying it around the parks, so then it's a grab it on your way out of the park for the night and it lives in your resort room until you leave. It's just more hassle than it's worth.

But...I WANT ONE.

Much needed. I started a thread about favorite closed attraction for the same reason. We all need a little Disney now. I got a Mickey t-shirt in 1981. They came back out but now they are pre-faded to look like they were bought in 1981 😕
Awww thanks! It's funny because the thread I started a few years back now, but it keeps popping up every so often and I LOVE that! And you're absolutely right, of all years!

Do you know, I got an EPCOT t shirt...probably in 85? 86? and I LOVED it. And they don't make anything like it now and I'm bummed. I keep hoping. :D

I have a yellow 1980s autograph book with a lot of great autographs and a photo of me at the Empress Lilly!

My kids have never been interested in doing the autographs, although I think maybe my daughter will be on our next trip. But I absolutely want to start collecting for myself!

My favorite Disney souvenirs that I still have at my parents house are my Disney hats/ears. I have a hat from almost every trip I’ve been on. Goofy hat from spring break 96, sorcerer Mickey hat from Christmas 97, cheetah print Mickey ears from when my sister went to the dance comp in 2002, and classic Mickey ear hat with my name on the back from 2005 escape from hurricane katrina! I also made my mom save the plushies we bought from the parks, mostly because they were expensive and I have quite the collection. And an honorable mention goes to my hand painted parasole from liberty square. When my husband and I take our September trip I’ll be continuing the tradition of getting a hat for the trip. But also want to pickup a cool popcorn bucket!

That is an EXCELLENT tradition!!! I also want a popcorn bucket. I have the regular type, but I've never sprung for the neat ones.

Awww thanks! It's funny because the thread I started a few years back now, but it keeps popping up every so often and I LOVE that! And you're absolutely right, of all years!

Do you know, I got an EPCOT t shirt...probably in 85? 86? and I LOVED it. And they don't make anything like it now and I'm bummed. I keep hoping. :D
Ok, so here is something that makes me crazy so don’t tell anyone, but in my more recent trips there have been sweatshirts, t-shirts and other clothing that I have bought 2 exact same ones of because of the above reason.😬 Especially now, stuff just goes so fast and you never see it again. 🤷🏻‍♂️Also, the stuff doesn’t hold up as well as I’d like it to. 😕

Ok, so here is something that makes me crazy so don’t tell anyone, but in my more recent trips there have been sweatshirts, t-shirts and other clothing that I have bought 2 exact same ones of because of the above reason.😬 Especially now, stuff just goes so fast and you never see it again. 🤷🏻‍♂️Also, the stuff doesn’t hold up as well as I’d like it to. 😕

OMG DYING!!!! That is hysterical!!! And let's be honest, pretty smart. It doesn't hold up as well, particularly to repeated washings, and it's the truth! It's like everything is seasonal and then gone! But since I don't live in FL, I don't get to go to WDW every three months, which is a bloomin' shame. :D :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter