Favorite Counter Service Restaurants in WDW

Epcot - Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe, and Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie
AK - Flame Tree Barbecue and Yak & Yetti Counter Service
DD - Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich
MK - Columbia Harbour House and Be Our Guest (lunch)
DHS - Backlot Express, Starring Rolls, and Writers Stop

I don't do a ton of CS because a lot of it just isn't appealing, but the Yorkshire (I think I got that right) fish and chips shop in the UK pavilion at Epcot and Tangerine Cafe are excellent! We've also enjoyed Earl of Sandwich and WPE n DTD, but we have a couple of local WPEs, so its not such a draw for us. I do think if you are stuck in AK that Flametree is a decent decision, but note if you need to escape for some ac, that the Rainforest Cafe bar almost always has seats available. It may not be the best in terms of food, but we have sought it out for a respite from the heat.

I don't mean to hijack but I have a question. At starring rolls if you go for lunch on the DDP do they give you those huge cupcakes everyone talks about as your dessert?

MK: Columbia Harbor House. The fried shrimp are a (relative) bargain for Disney food. And the upstairs seating is actually quite sane.
While I find the food at Cosmic Ray's to be just fine, the seating there can be a bit of a pain. And I am not a fan of their "station" system, especially if you have kids who are too young to send on their own for their food if they want something different from what you want. Pecos Bill's is typical, and passable. If I am in that part of the park and it is meal time, I will go.But I would never plan my day around it.

AK: I'm a creature of habit here, I'm afraid. We only eat lunches at that park, since it closes early. We always use our AK day to plan a nice Signature dinner. And as far as lunch goes, we have probably eaten 80% of them at Flame Tree. Big portions that can be shared, and the food is pretty good.

DHS: You'll probably notice two trends in this thead. First, people will tell you that they really enjoy Flame Tree at AK. Second, people will tell you that there isn't any good CS food at DHS. Funny thing is, Fairfax Fare at DHS serves pretty much the same food as Flame Tree. Now, perhaps I can see the argument that one might not want to eat BBQ for lunch every day. (I pity that trend of thought.:p). But the argument that FT is great and DHS has no good CS food is simply illogical. They have far more in common than they have differences. Beyond that, the cheeseburger at ABC Commissary won't kill you.

Epcot: Lots of options here. We have eaten at, and would return to La Cantina outside the Mexico pavillion; Sommerfest in Germany; Tangierine Cafe in Morocco; Yorkshire Fish Shop in the UK; and Sunshine Seasons in The Land.

Do you know if the 1/2 chicken and ribs combo at Fairfax Fare is as good as Cosmic Ray's? I have heard that Cosmic Ray's only has that combo for dinner now, and we have dinner ressies every night on our upcoming trip. I haven't tried Fairfax before, and want to get the best bang for our DDP buck. I would love the chicken and rib combo if it is the same as Cosmic. I wish FF had the mashed potatoes instead of coleslaw. Not a coleslaw fan, but would still order if it the chicken and ribs are as good.

I also love Sunshine Seasons, La Cantina, and Yorkshire Fish Shop in Epcot. I ate at the Japenese qs many years ago, and it was good then too.

At Ak, we went to Flame Tree for the ribs and they were great.

bsb said:
I don't mean to hijack but I have a question. At starring rolls if you go for lunch on the DDP do they give you those huge cupcakes everyone talks about as your dessert?

I would think so because we were able to get the big cupcakes at Sunshine Seasons as our dessert. Someone else can pbly confirm though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter