FastPass-SchmassPass... Many guests buy the wrong TICKETS!

Adding a day to a MYW ticket of 4 days or more is just $8+tax at the current costs.

From my web page on tickets:

If you will make LOTS of trips, open-ended, then there is the technique I call "chaining". You get a 10-day NE ticket, use it up and when you need another park day you get another 10-day NE ticket, use it up, and so on. That works fine, at least until you finally decide no to go any more... :)

Yes, this is what we do. I don't think it would be wise to get a never expire 10 day if you plan on burning most of them on one trip. As i said before, it's about your habbits.

The benefit of NE comes from buying lots of them and putting them on the shelf.

If you will make LOTS of trips, open-ended, then there is the technique I call "chaining". You get a 10-day NE ticket, use it up and when you need another park day you get another 10-day NE ticket, use it up, and so on. That works fine, at least until you finally decide no to go any more... :)
First player: I win!
Second player: Let's make it two out of three.

Chaining might not work out unless the number of vacations covered is at least twice the number of tickets for each person. For example three 10 day non-expirings would need to cover at least six vacations.

Sometimes folks don't have enough information to choose the right tickets! A slight change in vacation plans and suddenly another ticket becomes the right ticket. And now it is too late to change.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/dispass.htm

First player: I win!
Second player: Let's make it two out of three.

Chaining might not work out unless the number of vacations covered is at least twice the number of tickets for each person. For example three 10 day non-expirings would need to cover at least six vacations.

Sometimes folks don't have enough information to choose the right tickets! A slight change in vacation plans and suddenly another ticket becomes the right ticket. And now it is too late to change.

I believe you are right there. It has to average out to two vacations or better per 10-day NE ticket to still be worth while. But I also expect that people who do this typically do the smaller trips.

It will also offer you the WPF&M option but it will not tell you specifically that if you go to a WP instead of a major park on a day that you should get a ticket for one less day.

But I *can* go to a Water Park and also Magic Kingdom on the same day without a park hopper, right? Just making sure because they told me on the phone that I could do this and I don't want any unwelcomed surprises while we're there!
Thanks!

Ever think how many people buy multi-day Disney tickets and think they can get into any theme park in Orlando with them? I am sort of helping a friend plan a trip and I think I misunderstood her but the jist of her story was "We're buying 4 days passes. We'll spend one day at MK, one at Epcot, one at Legoland and one at MK/Universal." I literally gasped. (I'm hoping she meant 4 days of passes... 2 Disney days, plus the Legoland passes and Universal passes.) And then I said to my husband, "I wonder how many people do that in reality? How many times do the Sea World admission gates get a Disney ticket? Once a day? Once a week?"

But I *can* go to a Water Park and also Magic Kingdom on the same day without a park hopper, right? Just making sure because they told me on the phone that I could do this and I don't want any unwelcomed surprises while we're there!
Thanks!

Absolutely. The four major parks "days" and the water parks/DQ/golf/etc. admissions are separate entitlements on the tickets and have no relation to each other in how they are used. Park hopping only applies to the major parks.

Ever think how many people buy multi-day Disney tickets and think they can get into any theme park in Orlando with them? I am sort of helping a friend plan a trip and I think I misunderstood her but the jist of her story was "We're buying 4 days passes. We'll spend one day at MK, one at Epcot, one at Legoland and one at MK/Universal." I literally gasped. (I'm hoping she meant 4 days of passes... 2 Disney days, plus the Legoland passes and Universal passes.) And then I said to my husband, "I wonder how many people do that in reality? How many times do the Sea World admission gates get a Disney ticket? Once a day? Once a week?"

Probably as often as the CMs who field questions as to when the bus to Universal is coming... :)

I think I read this on another thread, but I just wanted to verify. If I don't purchase the park hopper option, but decide sometime during the trip to hop, I can just add them at any time? How much of a hassle is it to do this? The last time we went, I bought park hoppers but I don't think we used them. I would rather hold off and if we really think we want to hop, I can add them.

I think I read this on another thread, but I just wanted to verify. If I don't purchase the park hopper option, but decide sometime during the trip to hop, I can just add them at any time? How much of a hassle is it to do this? The last time we went, I bought park hoppers but I don't think we used them. I would rather hold off and if we really think we want to hop, I can add them.

Yes, you can add them at any time as long as you still have unused or active (that day) entitlements (of course, adding park hopper after you've used the last day on the ticket doesn't make sense :) ) It's done quickly and easily at any ticket booth or guest relations.

So if you have ANY doubt about using park hoppers, don't get them. THe only think you might lose is if the price of park hopping goes up between when you get the tickets and when you add it, and then it's usually only a couple bucks.

If I understand things correctly, the cost of a 6-day ticket is not much more than a 5-day ticket (less than 10 dollar difference). In my view, ten bucks is a pretty good price for a half-day.
Once we went to Epcot on our departure day -- rope drop, then left around 11:00AM. The 'cost' of that ticket was something like 6 dollars each.

This is the way DH and I do it. If we're going to be there five full days and one half day, and it's only a few dollars difference between the five day and six day ticket, we go for the six day. If we don't use it, we're not out that much money.

...I just don't see people who have non-researching personalities starting. Disney prices have been going up since its opening, and there are still those who go completely unknowing and unprepared. I don't think that will change.

Bingo :thumbsup2

Nail on the head...ding, ding, ding!

Human nature, it ain't gonna change now.

This is the way DH and I do it. If we're going to be there five full days and one half day, and it's only a few dollars difference between the five day and six day ticket, we go for the six day. If we don't use it, we're not out that much money.

This is what we usually do as well. And if you buy your tickets from UT, they give you the sixth day "free". (Yes, I know there is no such thing as free at Disney, but they told me so!! :rotfl:)

We have been three time in last 12 years. We have made two ticketing mistakes.

1. Park hopper each time and we have never used them...but always think...what if...

2. Went to MVMCP last time on arrival day AND bought a ticket for that day...even though we arrived at park at 5pm.

We are above average intelligence and still "donated" our money to Disney. HA!

How about people who don't realize that the tickets are good for 14 days? They buy tickets for a few days, go to the darkside, come back to WDW and then think they need to buy NEW tickets instead of adding days to the original tickets?

We are above average intelligence and still "donated" our money to Disney. HA!

Yep. BTDT:confused:

WDW ticket options are so varied that it's tricky even for people who have visited before. How many people have purchased the length of stay with PH and WP&M option. And haven't realized that they could have subtracted the days they were at the water parks or Disney Quest from the number of park days they were purchasing? (assuming they weren't going to a major park that day). Yes, on a longer stay these unused park days don't cost much each, but when you multiply them by the number of people in a family it could amount to a nice TS dinner at the very least!

I know that we wasted money on unused PHs a couple of years before we finally caught on. Haven't needed to use this option since!

I get what you are saying.
That being said, I need help. This may sound stupid...but I honestly have no idea how this works. We will be at WDW for 13 nights - 7 at POR and 6 at BC. I was going to buy a 10 day park hopper from UT. However, I *know* we have no intention to park hop for the first five days of the ticket. I *know* we will want to park home the last five days (with being at BC, I can foresee wanting to hop over to Epcot in the evenings).
So, is there a way to do this? Can I buy a 10 day non-hopper, use 5 days of it, and then upgrade the last 5 days to hoppers? Please don't laugh.:lmao: I'm just clueless...and feel stupid paying for 5 days of hopping we WON'T use, and 5 days that we will.

I get what you are saying.
That being said, I need help. This may sound stupid...but I honestly have no idea how this works. We will be at WDW for 13 nights - 7 at POR and 6 at BC. I was going to buy a 10 day park hopper from UT. However, I *know* we have no intention to park hop for the first five days of the ticket. I *know* we will want to park home the last five days (with being at BC, I can foresee wanting to hop over to Epcot in the evenings).
So, is there a way to do this? Can I buy a 10 day non-hopper, use 5 days of it, and then upgrade the last 5 days to hoppers? Please don't laugh.:lmao: I'm just clueless...and feel stupid paying for 5 days of hopping we WON'T use, and 5 days that we will.

You don't pay per day for park hopping. You pay to add the feature to your tickets, regardless of the length of it. $55+tax. So it doesn't matter if you've used 5 days of your 10 - it still costs $55+tax. And then you can park hop as much as you want during the 10 days you go to the major parks.

A previous poster made a good point, that each traveling party should consider their preferences and habits when making decisions about the type of ticket media to purchase. Based on our experience, and for our family we find that it does not pay for us to purchase Park Hoppers. By the time, you leave one park, walk to the bus, boat or monorail line, board the bus, boat or monorail, arrive at another park, we figure that we've lost at least an hour on our day. Generally we visit Disney on the least crowded days, so we prefer to purchase the multi day, one park per day tickets. YMMV pixiedust:

You don't pay per day for park hopping. You pay to add the feature to your tickets, regardless of the length of it. $55+tax. So it doesn't matter if you've used 5 days of your 10 - it still costs $55+tax. And then you can park hop as much as you want during the 10 days you go to the major parks.

:rotfl::lmao: See, I told you I was confused. :lmao:
Thanks for the clarification. We've only ever bought the military tickets, so I don't know how all that works. I'm trying to save as much $$ as I can, so I guess it looks like just buying the 10 day hoppers from UT would be best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts