Fanny pack, mini pack or backpack...thoughts?

I tend to bring a medium sized back pack starting in the mornings. This one also has an insulated pocket so it keeps things cooler for me. I can put my jacket from the morning in it as well as carry my popcorn bucket and outside pouches for a water bottle and charging brick. I can keep anything I buy in it so I'm not carrying bags as well.

However, I usually ditch this for the evening if I've been back to the hotel. At that point, I'll just go with my pockets.

I also tend to only go in the cooler periods so a jacket is usually necessary and there's a longer dark period.

How are people getting by with just a pocket during an entire day at a park? I must be doing it wrong... usually I take;

Advil, cell, sanitizer, Bandaids, poncho and even have taken a batt bank (and now extra masks).

Once the kids were out of the strollers we did bagless for 2 trips. It was amazing. We had a lanyard that carried ID and cash. We are midday break people so we can go 4-5 hours without a bunch of stuff. We would take our cell phones and each a bottle of water and that was it.

Once FP+ came into the picture we started carrying a small bag again mostly because we had to start taking in our portable chargers. The batteries just drain and we use our phones for pictures. I have used a Vera Bradley cross body the last two times. I would pack the portable charger, contact solution, asthma inhaler, hand lotion (Disney soap sucks), lip gloss, cash, ID and credit card.

After our midday break we usually go bagless again if it’s not going to be a super late night.

Sure, sorry about that, I was on the train and I think the Amazon mobile app is weird about links. If this one doesn’t work just search for "Maleden sling bag" on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&th=1

The Hydroflask can fit inside, but mine is the wide mouth bottle so it it bulges awkwardly and doesn’t fit nicely with my other stuff. I prefer to hang it on the outside through the strap. I call it my Bag of Holding! It’s not waterproof just water resistant so keep that in mind for Florida storms. I usually throw my Columbia rain jacket on over it when it starts storming. (I have a packable one that fits perfectly in the sling)

I was literally about to start looking up sling bags for our next trip. Like I stated in my PP I’ve been using my Vera Bradley crossbody bag but wanted something a bit more spacious next trip. Sometimes I feel like I’m cramming everything into that little bag. This is perfect! I’m going to order a few. Great price too.

I have an upcoming trip in April and since they have changed the bag checking process and I will now carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and some wipes I've decided to embrace my inner 80s mom and go with a fanny pack. I own at least 7 or 8 of them but got to thinking I hate having to carry a bottle of water (they are free where I stay) so I bought one that is smallish with a bottle carrier. I got it today, tried it on and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It will hold my phone, a small foldable card carrier, wipes and hand sanitizer and maybe even my reading glasses. It also has two loops you can hang things on and I have a little umbrella with a clip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073M1CL48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When all the kids were little, I carried a backpack. My wife may have even carried one? But it was easy, because you could hang it on or stick it under the stroller. (man I miss a double stroller!)
As the kids have grown up, I like to pack less and less, and it varies by park. The thing that takes up so much space are pullovers/sweaters/etc, than a lot of people wish they had when the temps drop to 60 in the evenings.
-For Disney parks, I might still carry a backpack, but it will be LIGHT, with things like ponchos or small umbrella, kleenex, sunscreen, light pullovers if it's cold, and to hold junk we buy or that the kids hand back like sunglasses, hats, etc.
-For Universal... NOTHING... the lockers are $$ and tiny, so we just plan to make do with what fits in our pockets. At most, my wife and daughter have tiny slings they carry. My oldest son now has a sling/fanny pack that he will likely carry now that he wants to have his cell phone with him.
-SeaWorld. If it's just me and 1-2 kids, I don't take a pack. My oldest kid takes his sling/fanny pack, and we just carry our refillable cups with us. My backpack is my cargo shorts, lol. If the WHOLE family goes, and it's a full day event like NYE, I likely bring a backpack to hold a pullover, etc.
-LegoLand. Same as above. Lego & SeaWorld days are shorter by nature and you don't need supplies.

I usually take a small crossbody, easier now that the bag check process has changed. I do have to say, after a few hours my shoulder does start feeling a little of the pressure from the strap. I am going to go back to the good ole' fanny pack , at least 50% of the time :)

I take a medium size backpack.
It allows me to take raingear, my camera, snacks if we want, phone charging battery.
Have not had an issue on any ride with it.

I have an upcoming trip in April and since they have changed the bag checking process and I will now carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and some wipes I've decided to embrace my inner 80s mom and go with a fanny pack. I own at least 7 or 8 of them but got to thinking I hate having to carry a bottle of water (they are free where I stay) so I bought one that is smallish with a bottle carrier. I got it today, tried it on and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It will hold my phone, a small foldable card carrier, wipes and hand sanitizer and maybe even my reading glasses. It also has two loops you can hang things on and I have a little umbrella with a clip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073M1CL48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does it seem like the water pouch will hold a plastic water bottle (store bought type)? I noticed it has the elastic pull loop so I wonder if that will go around a bottle of water neck. I am thinking of ordering a pack of water bottles to our resort room. Thanks!

Perfect for me: Vera Bradley Mini Cross Body. Carries my phone, credit cards, sun glasses, chapstick and comb. Attached to strap is my mini refillable hand sanitizer and Mickey hand water bottle holder. (I have bought mine off of eBay for great prices.)

Does it seem like the water pouch will hold a plastic water bottle (store bought type)? I noticed it has the elastic pull loop so I wonder if that will go around a bottle of water neck. I am thinking of ordering a pack of water bottles to our resort room. Thanks!
Yes, it will. I put my larger than a store bought bottle in it and it fit. I did have to use both hands to get it in because it was a little wider than a plastic water bottle would be.

I actually have three park bags:

1. My beloved fanny pack. I love this thing! It holds my phone, cards/money, extra battery/cords, disposable poncho and a Ziplock baggie for the water rides. If the day calls for it it will also hold a small travel umbrella. If I don’t need the umbrella I’ll pack a bag of trail mix.

2. A very not cute but super functional crossbody. I use this one if I’m bringing in a lunch or taking a light jacket.

3. The backpack. This is reserved for when my spouse or the grandbaby are along. DH likes a jacket and snacks. The grandbab’s needs are pretty standard snacks, drinks, things to amuse, change of clothes etc.

I will put pictures below of each but in the past I have done the fanny pack and a fabric backpack. I bought the mini pack for 2020 (mainly to put my phone and my small wallet that would have ID and gift cards) but we never got to go to use it. But reading on these boards, it is suggested by a few that having "extra masks" just to be on the safe side.
We don't have small kids so I am thinking the backpack might be a bit too much. I found last time we went and I used the back pack (2016) I would take it off for each ride, put one leg in both straps and have it wrapped around my ankle with my foot on at least one strap for most rides so I could comfortably sit back and not lose my bag. It was fine and at the time we toted around bottled water (3 total) and refilled them when necessary. But this time if we need water we will just buy it (or ask for a glass if they still even give away free water in cups). I don't MIND the fanny pack (I normally keep it in front of me then would swing it around back for pictures so it just looked like I was wearing a black belt (in 2012). Actually, I'm second guessing the backpack as I write this b/c I don't think I want it on the floor of every ride again and then having it on my back! What have others found using lately worked the best for them?

View attachment 550113View attachment 550115View attachment 550116 View attachment 550117

I used to have that same Mickey backpack! I really wish I still had it. It's very roomy and sturdy.

Funny story about that one - I took a weekend trip to Nantucket, and I packed everything in that backpack. We took a small plane from Hyannis (a la Wings). We got off the plane on the tarmac and they had everyone's luggage lined up on the ground. The flight crew handed it out right there.

A family with a little boy was standing next to me. The stewardess picked up the Mickey backpack and said to the boy, "I bet I know who this belongs to!", and went to hand it to him. I had to stop her and say, "No, that's actually mine". It was a funny start to the trip!

I swear by this sling bag.

View attachment 550215

It can fit a surprising amount of stuff to be so small and still remains super light, stowing on rides is much less irritating than a backpack. It takes up hardly any room in my suitcase. The side pocket is card sized and that’s where I keep my ID, AP and a bit of cash (in the event computer systems are down and CCs can’t be accepted). I loop the clip strap through my Hydro Flask bottle and am completely hands free.
What brand is your sling bag? I've been looking for something like that.

I always have a backpack or sling bag but I haul for both me and my husband. If you just want something for your masks and phone and wallet then I think a mini-backpack could work nicely. I might even wait until I get there and buy 1 I like.

I love my Baggallini cross body bag. It holds a lot, and I barely notice the weight. The only problem I have is keeping it organized.

I used to use a fanny pack, but after a while it annoys me. I hate the feel of it on my waist.

There have been a lot of “what bag to carry” threads on dis boards, and I think this one might be the most balanced I’ve ever read! I’ve really appreciated that folks have shared why a bag is right for them and what they haven’t liked about others. I think for folks trying to make decisions, I think this thread has been great!

I will put pictures below of each but in the past I have done the fanny pack and a fabric backpack. I bought the mini pack for 2020 (mainly to put my phone and my small wallet that would have ID and gift cards) but we never got to go to use it. But reading on these boards, it is suggested by a few that having "extra masks" just to be on the safe side.
We don't have small kids so I am thinking the backpack might be a bit too much. I found last time we went and I used the back pack (2016) I would take it off for each ride, put one leg in both straps and have it wrapped around my ankle with my foot on at least one strap for most rides so I could comfortably sit back and not lose my bag. It was fine and at the time we toted around bottled water (3 total) and refilled them when necessary. But this time if we need water we will just buy it (or ask for a glass if they still even give away free water in cups). I don't MIND the fanny pack (I normally keep it in front of me then would swing it around back for pictures so it just looked like I was wearing a black belt (in 2012). Actually, I'm second guessing the backpack as I write this b/c I don't think I want it on the floor of every ride again and then having it on my back! What have others found using lately worked the best for them?

View attachment 550113View attachment 550115View attachment 550116 View attachment 550117
My vote is for a crossbody bag. Like a LUG. I never used a fanny pack, not a fan. I always used to use a backpack, but my back would be so bad by the end of the day (I'd always take my backpack off for a ride). A crossbody bag is much, much easier.

I use a lightweight backpack similar to this one and use the side pocked for my water bottle.

61x5-JRv4zL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/4monster-Pac...ocphy=1018021&hvtargid=pla-570741331913&psc=1

We use the hiking-style waist packs. They are padded for comfort, are fairly breathable, and have more storage than a typical fanny pack. Some even have water bottle holders, although larger water bottles don't fit into them well (they are top heavy and tip out of the pack pretty easily).

My mountain-biker husband has corrected me - they are called "lumbar packs" apparently. He likes the Mountainsmith brand like this and also has some REI brand packs that are a little smaller for the kids. They were younger when we went last time and had no patience with carrying stuff, so my DH had to use the largest one he had but we still never had trouble on any of the rides. I really like having nothing on my shoulders, for comfort, heat, and convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter