Fancy food?

Disneyloverliz

Mouseketeer
Hi! I’ve been watching a vlog on YouTube of a guy who has gone on the fantasy. He vlogs each day. nearly all the meals he vlogs about are way too fancy for my meat and potatoes kids. I know this is a stupid question, but do you think this is an accurate description? He’s gone to what I feel now are the fancy restaurants. I suppose we could go to cabanas, but I feel we’d be missing out on the rotational dining options. Anyone have opinions on the restaurants on the fantasy?

Hi. The kids will always have a kids menu with all of their favorites on them... and if by chance they would prefer an adults chicken or pasta meal , that will be available to them as well... can even order it for every night if they wish! 😊

You can check out the (pre-covid) menus on the Disney Cruise Line Blog found here https://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/. I think you will find that menu choices are varied enough that everyone should be able to find a satisfactory option. There are always four simply-prepared options at the bottom of the menus in the main dining rooms as well as the options on the kids menu mentioned above.

Another option is to request any fancier sauces to be omitted. The underlying preparations are frequently basic “meat and potatoes” which are then dressed up on the plate with a fancy-sounding sauce.

I'm a somewhat picky adult, not into the fancy stuff, and had a very picky DS (he's gotten much better with age). We never went hungry on DCL. He ate a lot of mac and cheese, and even just plain pasta at dinner, but he ate. The staff will do anything they can to accommodate requests.

My husband and daughter are 2 of the pickiest people I know and they were fine. I'm the mom that had a jar of peanut butter and other favorite snacks in the suitcase just in case but they weren't needed. My travel agent and friend said her family is more likely to try new things on a cruise knowing it's easy to get something else if they don't like it. There's always the pizza/burgers/chicken tenders places near the pool if you really don't like dinner. My husband did that a few times.

My son is a really picky eater - no sauce on anything...
He has been on 3 Disney cruises (aged 5-8 at the time) and has always been able to get things to eat. You can even order uncrustables (peanut butter and jam sandwiches). They come packaged. We sometimes ordered a couple at dinner and then put them in our fridge in our room.

And even for picky adults, there is an everyday menu with a steak, plain chicken, and I think a fish dish (I don't do seafood, so I never bother looking at those things).

I second the Everyday menu...there are days that my daughter just wants plain roast chicken.

My daughter isn't adventurous with main courses and she seems to find something in the adult menu that works for her...the pastas are generally basic. She said they taste okay....nothing strong.

You have nothing to worry about. There are fancy options on the menus but also plenty of not fancy options.

On our first cruise my daughter was 3.5 and in a phase where all she wanted to eat was spaghetti and meatballs. There wasn't any on the kids menu so we made a request and from the second night on she got her spaghetti and meatballs every night.

One additional suggestion: you can use the cruise to help your kids experiment in a low pressure environment. Sometimes we would order the kids a plain dinner, but pick out a fancy appetizer to try.

This is how my kids when they were little and cruising starting out in the dining rooms. Now they are food snobs LOL.. But my young adult daughter can still be picky- every night a caesar salad. By the third night, the servers were just bringing her one-and she was smiling. It all works out- plenty to eat and plenty of choices!

One additional suggestion: you can use the cruise to help your kids experiment in a low pressure environment. Sometimes we would order the kids a plain dinner, but pick out a fancy appetizer to try.
I was blown away when our picky eater son tried the escargot. We get it every time we sail now. 😂

What everyone has said above it accurate. I wanted to add that Disney's idea of fancy, isn't all that fancy. It is very middle-of-the road, under seasoned, not inventive. Their fancy food it stuff that was considered fancy decades ago, but isn't unusual by today's standards. They are trying to please the most guests by offering very safe food. More than once, I have had the waiter warn me that a dish may be too spicy, only to try it and wonder if it has any kick to it at all. If there was one thing I could change about DCL, it would be to kick up their dinning game and offer more creative dishes, bursting with flavor. But, they would rather play it safe and not have dishes sent back to the kitchen, so I understand why they do it the way they do.

What everyone has said above it accurate. I wanted to add that Disney's idea of fancy, isn't all that fancy. It is very middle-of-the road, under seasoned, not inventive. Their fancy food it stuff that was considered fancy decades ago, but isn't unusual by today's standards. They are trying to please the most guests by offering very safe food. More than once, I have had the waiter warn me that a dish may be too spicy, only to try it and wonder if it has any kick to it at all. If there was one thing I could change about DCL, it would be to kick up their dinning game and offer more creative dishes, bursting with flavor. But, they would rather play it safe and not have dishes sent back to the kitchen, so I understand why they do it the way they do.

On our EBPC one of our table mates (we shared with another couple) mentioned that they loved Indian food. From then on our servers brought us special meals from the crew mess. 😂

My point is that DCL will be very accommodating, as everyone has mentioned. And I agree that the food is very "middle of the road".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter