Family boarding with Southwest

FWIW, I was never comfortable checking a car seat. Luggage gets lost and damaged far too often...and while less likely to be lost or damaged, gate checking is still a risk.

If you are looking to reduce the number of car seats used on the plane, I would have the 5yo practice with a low back booster before the trip and have them carry one on...but still use seats for the 2yo and 4yo. Both of our kids used cars seats through 4yo on the plane.

In December my sister and I paid for early check in and my son and his GF did not since they had the 2 year old. I checked them in at the 24 hour mark and got them in the A group. Our plan was to go to the back of the plane since most people want the front. My sister and I got on the plane first and secured the seats we would like and waited for them to come. It made it easier for us because we didn't have to check everyone in at the same time and lost precious time between the two. Worked out well for us. I have only experienced it on a different airline but have been on a flight to Orlando that said they would not be doing family boarding due to everyone being a family on board and they said instead they would just start boarding early and take extra time to allow people more time. Not sure if that ever happens on Southwest.

As a general rule in coach, children who are taller than 44" or so will have a bit of a problem sitting comfortably in a carseat that is mounted in an aircraft seat. This is because the angle of the raised seat + the seat underneath it tends to force their feet against the lower back of the seat in front of them, if their feet will fit there at all. The child may have to sit cross-legged in order to fit. For our kids this meant that we stopped using carseats on board when they were about 4 1/2.

The FAA only recommends carseat use up to 40 lbs. for improved safety. Once past that weight, children using only the aircraft lap belt are judged to be equally safe as adults using only the aircraft lap belt. It's not like in a car, where use of the carseat is recommended until they are much larger in order to give them the same degree of safety as adults have.

FWIW, I was never comfortable checking a car seat. Luggage gets lost and damaged far too often...and while less likely to be lost or damaged, gate checking is still a risk.

If you are looking to reduce the number of car seats used on the plane, I would have the 5yo practice with a low back booster before the trip and have them carry one on...but still use seats for the 2yo and 4yo. Both of our kids used cars seats through 4yo on the plane.

If you are recommending using a booster seat on the plane, forget it. They are not allowed.

Honestly though I would not use a car seat for a 4 and 5 year old as it will put them in a position so that they will be quite close to the seat in front of them (could cause accidental seat kicking) and they won't be able to use the tray table.

I agree.

My son was 2 when I stopped using the car seat on the plane. We were going home, it was just us, our flight (southwest!) had just been cancelled and we were shunted over to board a plane about to leave so it was nearly full, and I just couldn’t handle carrying that heavy thing onboard etc. gate-checked it, we had a great flight without me having to bug him about where his feet were (tall kid), and I never brought the seat on a flight again. He did great with the seatbelt.

I don’t know of any airline that doesn’t consider carseats to be free luggage. Sw does. It’s easy.

Gate checking is the least problematic since the seats aren’t banging their way through the depths of the airport. It’s a matter of being taken down the stairs, being out in the belly of the plane, then reversed. Make sure they are checked *to the gate* at the destination. Not to the carousel.

And if you are strictly taking Disney transportation everywhere, there’s no need for the seats anyway.

If car seats are used on the plane, PLEASE seat members of one's party directly in front of the carseat(s).

Yep!!

Oh and as for carryon luggage, every ticketed passenger is allowed the allowances. Doesn’t matter who carries it. I always co-opted my son’s carryon allowance since I like having my stuff with me. He rarely wants a carryon, but I make him take one because I want more stuff onboard with me. And when he was little that meant the adults lugged it. No one cares who is pulling the bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter