FAFSA changes coming...

imbatman

DIS Veteran
FAFSA changes

New terms, new guidelines, new money caps. There are some major overhauls ahead, including children in divorced households: The new legislation will require the parent who provides the most financial support to complete the FAFSA, instead of the custodial parent.

Thanks. Glad those days are behind me, although I navigated the form without issue.
Just remember my mom 45+ years ago looking at the form and saying "that' information isnone of their business, I'll pay your tuition myself"

I wonder what parameters they're using to determine who really provides the most financial support for children with divorced parents.

A colleague told me that they now consider a step-parent's income for the purposes of financial aid.
They definitely consider step-parent income, one of my cousins has had to provide his information on his stepchildren.

i just read an article on this earlier this morning. those with 2 or more attending college at the same time appear to be getting hit harder-

FAFSA will no longer divide the parent assessment by the number of family members in college (will reduce aid for middle to high income families).

They definitely consider step-parent income, one of my cousins has had to provide his information on his stepchildren.
It depends on the college. DD is likely heading to GA Tech. I am the custodial parent. Neither my ex nor his wife's income is considered. If she goes to UVa, they will consider my income, his income, and the step-mom's income.

i just read an article on this earlier this morning. those with 2 or more attending college at the same time appear to be getting hit harder-

FAFSA will no longer divide the parent assessment by the number of family members in college (will reduce aid for middle to high income families).

That’s awesome considering I have 3 full time college students.

Just like it was awesome when the over 18 dependents were totally ignored in the stimulus package. Having raised 4 kids over the last 23 years, those over 18 dependents cost far more than a few toddlers!

Thanks. Glad those days are behind me, although I navigated the form without issue.
Just remember my mom 45+ years ago looking at the form and saying "that' information isnone of their business, I'll pay your tuition myself"
My daughter is in last semester. My last tuition payment was in December . Hopefully she doesn’t have to go in for in person student teaching. Cases are still the highest in that area but they want to hurry and open schools ( no vaccines for student teachers ) 🤦🏽‍♀️ If they do open, it will cost me housing $$$. Glad to be done with fasfa

This is ME. Both our daughter and I are in college at the same time. I do not work as I'm in school full time and we have three kids, so everything is based on my DH's income. Just this semester I had to re-submit my FAFSA for the current spring semester and I qualified for NO financial aid at all. :( We are just on the cusp of middle income, enough that we can afford our life, but not much more than that.

Also found out that FAFSA now requires proof of high school graduation or GED before a determination will be made. So no more early determinations.....

This is ME. Both our daughter and I are in college at the same time. I do not work as I'm in school full time and we have three kids, so everything is based on my DH's income. Just this semester I had to re-submit my FAFSA for the current spring semester and I qualified for NO financial aid at all. :( We are just on the cusp of middle income, enough that we can afford our life, but not much more than that.

Also found out that FAFSA now requires proof of high school graduation or GED before a determination will be made. So no more early determinations.....

that is nuts! the universities around here require a fafsa be completed if you are applying for any scholarships-and you have to have named the universities on the fafsa to get verification it's been filed. scholarships are all awarded (with few interdepartmental exceptions) off one master online application that is due in february. scholarships along with financial aid packages are announced in may so students can make a determination if they can attend in the fall. having to wait for verification of high school graduation means high school seniors wouldn't have a chance at any of the scholarships (let alone work study b/c those awards are few and far between-esp. these days w/minimal campus open services).

i can't see the universities tweaking their system-we have some high schools that don't graduate until late june. by the time fafsa got around to sending them the information and they went through all the scholarship applications it would be well after the late august to early september beginning of fall quarter.

I think the FAFSA changes are fair. If you have children close together you used to get much more help than if you had them 5 years apart. It should be on family size, not how close you had your children together.

Using the parent providing more support for the student also makes sense. The rule of who they spend 51% of the time with has always been easy to manipulate. If divorced parent is remarried they consider step parents as well but that's normal.

What year is it going to change? I should have one more year to do this. DS is a junior next year so FAFSA has been completed for his junior year.

That’s awesome considering I have 3 full time college students.

Just like it was awesome when the over 18 dependents were totally ignored in the stimulus package. Having raised 4 kids over the last 23 years, those over 18 dependents cost far more than a few toddlers!
I will have 3 in college for 4 years starting September, got nothing when I had 2 in college. Let’s keep making college even more expensive for the middle class.

If divorced parent is remarried they consider step parents as well but that's normal.

I have a bit of a problem with this--the step-parent isn't otherwise on the hook for a child's expenses in other aspects of life. For example, when child support is calculated, it is only the parent whose income is considered. The income of step-mothers and step-fathers is not considered. Why is it suddenly considered when calculating what a student can/cannot afford for college, particularly considering that the student is technically an adult at this time.

FAFSA is a bit of a sore spot with me for other reasons. I have a niece that has been completely cut off from financial support from both parents. (She has done nothing to deserve this--she just has crappy parents.) In fact, they often want favors from her that cost her money personally. Her grandparents pay for her medical and vehicle insurance (on the vehicle they bought her). Fortunately, she graduated within the top 10% of her class, so most of her tuition, fees, and housing are covered, but not entirely. She works at a grocery store near her campus to help cover her gas and other necessities.
FAFSA forces information on parent income, even though she is essentially independent.

If sh
I have a bit of a problem with this--the step-parent isn't otherwise on the hook for a child's expenses in other aspects of life. For example, when child support is calculated, it is only the parent whose income is considered. The income of step-mothers and step-fathers is not considered. Why is it suddenly considered when calculating what a student can/cannot afford for college, particularly considering that the student is technically an adult at this time.

FAFSA is a bit of a sore spot with me for other reasons. I have a niece that has been completely cut off from financial support from both parents. (She has done nothing to deserve this--she just has crappy parents.) In fact, they often want favors from her that cost her money personally. Her grandparents pay for her medical and vehicle insurance (on the vehicle they bought her). Fortunately, she graduated within the top 10% of her class, so most of her tuition, fees, and housing are covered, but not entirely. She works at a grocery store near her campus to help cover her gas and other necessities.
FAFSA forces information on parent income, even though she is essentially independent.
If she has all of that covered, she is blessed! All of my kids graduated in at least the top 10% of their classes, even after merit they are still on the hook for $25,000 - $35,000 a year, my two oldest pay $1000 a month in student loans (and all of my kids have had part time jobs since they were 14 and work while in college). FAFSA does not take COL into the formula.

Last edited:

there is a change that could help students like your niece-

"The criteria for independent student status will include situations in which the student is unable to contact their parents or where contact with the parents poses a risk to the student, such as human trafficking, refugee or asylum status, parental abandonment or estrangement and student or parent incarceration."

If sh

If she has all of that covered, she is blessed! All of my kids graduated in at least the top 10% of their classes, even after merit they are still on the hook for $25,000 - $35,000 a year, my two oldest pay $1000 a month in student loans (and all of my kids have had part time jobs since they were 14 and work while in college). FAFSA does not take COL into the formula.
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's so discouraging to know that a student has worked so hard to be at the top of the class, only to still have to come up with tens of thousands in education fees.

I can't recall exactly, but I believe my niece was ranked #9 of over 2,000 students in her graduating class. She had so many obstacles to overcome, and I'm still so proud of her resilience. Even with her high rank, she is still has to scrounge up some money.

When I attended college, I remember it costing me $1,250 for tuition and fees, and then I had books. I remember it felt so hard to have to come up with that money with the tips I made waiting tables, but it was at least doable. Now, even with scholarships, there is no way these kids can pay cash with tips or their grocery store jobs. I feel so sad for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter