Extra key card?

Brett6646

Earning My Ears
We are taking my wife parents with us to AKV next year on vacation. We booked a 1 bedroom for our family and a studio for them. We don't expect them to spend nearly as much time in the parks as us. My first question is, does Disney even issue key cards anymore with the Magic Band system in place and if they do would we be able to get an extra card for our room. We would just like to give them access to our washer and dryer as well as the full kitchen when we were away. Thanks

Dont know about keycards, but go to the front desk and ask for another magic band, or two.

Also, you can download a phone app to use your phone to open your door

Yes, Disney still has cards they can issue. Or if you or anyone in your family have another magicband you could give it to them to use to enter your room.

but just to follow up on earlier comments. We are allowed to have more magic bands than occupants for one room?

The idea of the two bedroom is great because parents would still have their own space, and you don't have to worried if they are on another floor or waaayyyyy down the hallway.

but just to follow up on earlier comments. We are allowed to have more magic bands than occupants for one room?

I'm not certain if you were considering my comment about giving them one of your old bands but that's perfectly fine. I'll bring more than 1 of my bands and switch them around or we've used them in the way I suggested to allow family to access our room.

I think getting a lock-off is the best suggestion if that's available for you to switch to.

I'm not certain if you were considering my comment about giving them one of your old bands but that's perfectly fine. I'll bring more than 1 of my bands and switch them around or we've used them in the way I suggested to allow family to access our room.

I think getting a lock-off is the best suggestion if that's available for you to switch to.

I agree that the lock off is the best option. If there is a problem it will be that we do deluxe dining usually and they don’t care to eat that much so we will have to figure that out but I think we can make it work. I was just wondering for my own knowledge about the additional magic bands

When we go, there are 4 of us, but we bring about 25 magic bands. For some members of my party, the color of the magic band has to match the outfit. We have collected all kinds of colors during various stays.

The front desk will give you extra key cards. When we take extended family with us to Disney, we book a 2 bedroom for us and a studio for them. I always ask for extra key cards so they can come into the 2 bedroom easily for meals and laundry :)

Each individual can have more than one magic band or card or combination. They are all managed through My Disney Experirnce.
Just be aware that depending upon how old your MB is, it may not work on the doors of the villa. Found that out last week with a Gen 1, Star Wars weekend MB that works fine in the parks but doesn't have the battery strength for the resort stuff.

If you are not using the Dining Plan you could also just add them to your room as well - of course not they would have to magic bands - might be confusing, but no more so than giving them one of your older ones.

But agree....2 bedroom lock off - less points, and in effect, same as a 1 bedroom and a studio - just without that lock off premium

Just be aware that depending upon how old your MB is, it may not work on the doors of the villa. Found that out last week with a Gen 1, Star Wars weekend MB that works fine in the parks but doesn't have the battery strength for the resort stuff.

That’s strange. My understanding is that the rooms all use the near field technology - just like the entry turnstiles. What should stop working is the new like photos etc. but room entry should work. And I’ve brought an old band that definitely doesn’t work anymore fo the onride stuff but worked both for room entry and park entry. I have experienced the batteries being dead in the room door lock though. A quick change and all was good. Finally. It took 3 trips to the BWV desk to convince them to come and see that it wasn’t my band, that it was the door.

It also is possible for the front desk to get your band to NOT work at a door. Then they say it must be your band and you need a different one. Then you go to another resort and the old band works there. Magic. My bet is that is what was going on for you.

That’s strange. My understanding is that the rooms all use the near field technology - just like the entry turnstiles. What should stop working is the new like photos etc. but room entry should work. And I’ve brought an old band that definitely doesn’t work anymore fo the onride stuff but worked both for room entry and park entry. I have experienced the batteries being dead in the room door lock though. A quick change and all was good. Finally. It took 3 trips to the BWV desk to convince them to come and see that it wasn’t my band, that it was the door.

It also is possible for the front desk to get your band to NOT work at a door. Then they say it must be your band and you need a different one. Then you go to another resort and the old band works there. Magic. My bet is that is what was going on for you.
Yeah they use the far field technology I was told. For a comparison you can't use an AP card or ticket to open the door, which functions on the near field technology (while those work at the turnstiles, etc). I tried to open with my AP card assuming the near field was all that was needed but was locked out. Needed to get some new bands in the end from the front desk.

Yeah they use the far field technology I was told. For a comparison you can't use an AP card or ticket to open the door, which functions on the near field technology (while those work at the turnstiles, etc). I tried to open with my AP card assuming the near field was all that was needed but was locked out. Needed to get some new bands in the end from the front desk.

They do still issue key cards for the rooms.

I did a little looking back. The MB's have HF RFID and 2.4GHz RF in them. The RFID is used for those things you must get close to - turnstile entry, FP touch points, purchase pads and hotel room doors. If it works for one then it would have to physically be capable of working for all. Thus, back to my thought that it just wasn't set up correctly for the hotel room door. Personally if I were @nkosiek I'd bring my Star Wars band along again on the next trip to try it out.

The locks must also have Bluetooth as that is necessary to unlock the doors using your phone per Disney info.

Last edited:
It does seem odd about the door, as card keys can open the doors. (Like at virtually every hotel and motel in the country) It should be passive RFid (near field). The battery part is used for the photos and stuff on rides, etc.
Sounds like it was not set up right to me.

They do still issue key cards for the rooms.

I did a little looking back. The MB's have HF RFID and 2.4GHz RF in them. The RFID is used for those things you must get close to - turnstile entry, FP touch points, purchase pads and hotel room doors. If it works for one then it would have to physically be capable of working for all. Thus, back to my thought that it just wasn't set up correctly for the hotel room door. Personally if I were @nkosiek I'd bring my Star Wars band along again on the next trip to try it out.

The locks must also have Bluetooth as that is necessary to unlock the doors using your phone per Disney info.
It's odd because there is no reason then that an AP card, which works on all those items, shouldn't work on the door. They all tie back to the same MDE account which is what is utilized to control access. I tried using the AP card assuming it would work because I forgot my MB and then ended up having to get a new MB. They said they weren't even issuing key cards at that time (May 2020) and stated the only way to get into the room was with a MB or via the phone. I did find it odd I couldn't even get a key card, but perhaps that was the CMs on duty not wanting to do so or not knowing they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter