Extra Disney Magic

It does happen every cruise, but I'd say around 90% is who you know, not what you know...you need to know someone on the inside if you know what I mean...lol
Also, guests who are travelling with organisations like Make a Wish are usually invited.

We have never been asked but my nephew and his family two very polite little ones where chosen. A couple of CM made comment on how polite they werre always saying thank you. They were 5 and 3 at the time.

We were chosen once and it was incredible. I haven't talked about it previously though because I almost wished I hadn't known it was a thing before we got our invitation. There are some things that I think are valuable just because they are magical surprises. I know that's just me though. OP I loved seeing your pictures and your obviously ecstatic daughter.

I'd also hate to start seeing posts from people about how to get picked for the event. Kind of like they ask how to be chosen as family of the day at embarkation

We were chosen once and it was incredible. I haven't talked about it previously though because I almost wished I hadn't known it was a thing before we got our invitation. There are some things that I think are valuable just because they are magical surprises. I know that's just me though. OP I loved seeing your pictures and your obviously ecstatic daughter.

I'd also hate to start seeing posts from people about how to get picked for the event. Kind of like they ask how to be chosen as family of the day at embarkation

We definitely didn't know it was a thing as it was our second cruise - although I was much smarter the second time around due to DISboards :-) However, the night we were selected there was a second family and in talking with (and overhearing) CMs who were up there with us, that group had been "lobbying" pretty hard to be selected. I will never expect it again nor mention it to a CM, but we were very appreciative (and clueless) about being selected.

We definitely didn't know it was a thing as it was our second cruise - although I was much smarter the second time around due to DISboards :-) However, the night we were selected there was a second family and in talking with (and overhearing) CMs who were up there with us, that group had been "lobbying" pretty hard to be selected. I will never expect it again nor mention it to a CM, but we were very appreciative (and clueless) about being selected.
Thank you for taking my comment as it was intended. I rewrote it a bunch of times trying to make sure it didn't come off as crabby. It is such a special thing, and DD still gets a huge smile on her face every time we talk about her big surprise. (Luckily she's 5 so she doesn't read DIS and it was all a shock to her.)

If you want to catch a character or two coming out or going into "hiding," camp out at the "cast members only" door next to Shutters on the Wonder or Magic. I am not sure about the bigger ships, but I believe there is a central source for all those princesses, mice, etc. If they are coming back from their assignment they sometimes can take a minute or two with you for photos, hugs, etc...they have done it with us several times.

If you want to catch a character or two coming out or going into "hiding," camp out at the "cast members only" door next to Shutters on the Wonder or Magic. I am not sure about the bigger ships, but I believe there is a central source for all those princesses, mice, etc. If they are coming back from their assignment they sometimes can take a minute or two with you for photos, hugs, etc...they have done it with us several times.

I bumped into Goofy going up the stairs to Shutters and wouldn't ya know it, I didn't have my camera. But he nodded hi and gave me a big hug and that was enough.

There are 2 versions of this event: the Fantasy/Dream version which is one grouphoto and the Wonder/Magic version which is a mix and mingle with all the characters and performers participating the til we meet again.
I've never sailed on the Fantasy/Dream but I've been picked several times for the one on the Wonder/Magic. One time I was literally alone but it can be anything up to 10 families.
I've also had another surprise private meet 5 years ago. This was before Christmas cruises were anounced as such. I booked the week after Thanksgiving and was told over the phone Christmas costumes would be out... but it was cast crossover (two cast switching out) and Christmas costumes were not out. I was asking the character manager about these costumes and when he told me they were not going to be out he probably saw my major disappointment. Chip and Dale are my absolute favorites and the day we were in Grand Cayman the character manager told us to come at 4pm to Studio Sea. The door was closed with a sign 'private function' The character manager brought my friend and me inside and talked to us about being sorry that Christmas costumes were delayed etc but that my favorites still wanted to wish us a Happy Holiday season. Chip and Dale walked in in their Christmas costumes with giant candy canes and we had 20 minutes to ourselves with them and took all sorts of pictures (they even carried me!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter