External flashes

31 days, that's ridiculous!

I agree, I've ordered from them twice and it has taken more than 30 days twice. I will not be using them again.

...best results use the flash in ETTL mode and the camera in manual mode.

Hmmm. I had the flash mounted on the camera while I tilted the head, but I had it set to Aperture mode, I'll try Manual tonight.

I did notice that the camera and the Flash were 'communicating' - as I adjusted the lens zoom I could hear the Flash adjust the head, also when I tried different apertures I could see the change reflected on the Flash's LCD readout.

I agree, I've ordered from them twice and it has taken more than 30 days twice. I will not be using them again.

Hmmm. I had the flash mounted on the camera while I tilted the head, but I had it set to Aperture mode, I'll try Manual tonight.

I did notice that the camera and the Flash were 'communicating' - as I adjusted the lens zoom I could hear the Flash adjust the head, also when I tried different apertures I could see the change reflected on the Flash's LCD readout.

right, I have the more basic YN465 but it works similar. One of the reasons for shooting in manual with an external flash is your have more control over the balance between ambient and flash, another is the Canon system in Av uses "fill flash" which can lower the shutter speed too much in low light situations. For more tips and techniques using an external flash see the flash section at
http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/

Strobist is a great place to look at as well, just google strobist

I have had my eye on these flashes, I've oftened wondered if having 6 of these set at 1/4 power with difusers would be enough to light an entire stage. It would be nice for when I shoot pageants.

Strobist got one of these, but it was broke, I'd be interested as to what you think of the build quality.

AAaargh. I just finished writing a 5 paragraph description of the gadget and the system signed me off and lost it when I hit the back button...

Ok - here's the summary - I think the physical build quality is quite good. The electronics work as advertised except the buttons respond slowly which is annoying. Most electronics have a significant infant mortality rate so if it works for a couple of weeks I would imagine it will run untiil the 'bulb' burns out.

As to power - it's blinding at full power, even bouncing it off the ceiling of a typical home at full power is very annoying to the eyes.

Whether a bunch of them at 1/4 power can light a stage - no clue - but if you have some sort of standard test (ISO 100, F4.0, take a picture of a painting on the wall at 20 feet at 1/8 power or whatever) I would happy to give it a try.

At this time I am a Yongnuo satisfied customer.

I have a canon 50D. I will be going to Disney in March and my dd's HS band is marching with the electric parade. I know my flash on the camera won't do much and I have no clue how light up the band will be. They lead off the parade. So I want to make sure I get the shot.
Please help!

The Canon 430EX II is a pretty good flash for that camera (its what I have). But if you are going to be taking photos of the Electrical Parade, you may want to make sure you have a good fast lens so you won't have to use a flash to blow out the parade lights. Something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 might do well there.

But I'm sure others will post with more smarter suggestions.

I have an 85 prime 1.6 but I think it will take me in too close.
Not sure if I can swing another lens at this time. I really want a 50 mm 1.4
But my main concern will be how much light will there be on the band since they won't have any glow or lights attached to them which is why I thought to get a flash.

I think you're going to need some sort of flash. The light parades in general are better without a flash, but for a band, I can't imagine they will have much if any external lighting. Maybe use the flash but dial it back a bit so it doesn't completely wash out the lights in the parade around them?

This is actually a similar question to the one I asked about how best to photograph the MVMCP parade. It's a night and some of it is lit. Many felt strongly that a flash would ruin it. Others pointed out that it's not a well lit parade and certain parts of it require a bit of flash. I still don't know what the best approach is, so I'll probably swap back and forth with and without the flash.

But you only get one shot at your DD, so I'm thinking a little flash might be necessary.

I know for the actual light parade I will not want to use the flash but I need something for the band. I don't know if they walk the entire time or if they stop at places so there will be movement. Plus she is in color guard and the flags will be spinning.
But I have no clue how to pick out a flash!

When I purchased mine, I couldn't afford my manufacturers flash, so I went with the Sigma. I now have two, the EF-530 DG ST and the EF-530 DG Super. The ST is more of a basic flash and the Super was their top of the line. I have been extremely pleased with both. Sigma has recently introduced a new top of the line the EF610 DG Super. From bottom to top they cost; $149, $199.95 and $255 (B & H costs). All three have the tilt and swivel with the Supers having the wireless off camera flash capability. The 530 guide # is 53 and the new 610 is 61.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=647&N=4294204366+4291220258+4294955935

If you have never used an external flash, you should do a lot of practicing with it. It took awhile for me to become comfortable and produce images I was happy with. I recently shot a family baby shower exclusively with the flashes on my two bodies. I was extremely pleased with the results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter