Explosion in Nashville!

Unfortunately, there really probably wasn't much anyone could have done. Legally, they can't just break into the mans home/fenced backyard etc. I agree it's very frustrating, but it's very common in lots of aspects in life, especially dealing with mental health.

Ummm, the girlfriend's statement should have at least caused them to head to the judge for a warrant based on probable cause. Why on Earth they didn't do that is probably what they are all asking themselves now...

I mean, now we know the story...nothing was released b/c it was a law enforcement f'up. I'm actually glad the conspiracies started b/c we got an answer that does tend to indicate that this was one and done. That's what we all needed to know.

There is no probable cause there.

The police had one witness who told a story about military experience and bomb making. They encountered this witness because she was sitting on her front porch suicidal with two unloaded handguns and they committed her to a mental hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

You can't base PC for a search warrant on statements of one suicidal wacko girlfriend.

The officers did inspect what they could see legally and saw nothing indicating any kind of crime. They documented the incident and specifically forwarded copies of their report to appropriate investigators within their own department as well as the FBI. None of the investigators were able to develop anything indicating criminal activity, and the FBI even determined that the suspect had NOT served in the military.

For a search warrant, investigators have to show two things:
  1. Evidence sufficient to establish probable cause that a crime is being committed, AND
  2. Evidence sufficient to establish probable cause that evidence of that crime is located within the location being searched.
No PC here -- not even close; no search warrant.

Last edited:
They could have gotten a search warrant, although who knows if he would have just cleared everything out.
But a search warrant based on what?...that a g/f or ex said so? Unfortunately because ppl. can say anything, that generally wouldn't be nearly enough for a search warrant. I agree it's definitely a shame, but I doubt there waa anything that really could've been done unless the g/f or ex, was able to give them some evidence or something, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

Ummm, the girlfriend's statement should have at least caused them to head to the judge for a warrant based on probable cause. Why on Earth they didn't do that is probably what they are all asking themselves now...

I mean, now we know the story...nothing was released b/c it was a law enforcement f'up. I'm actually glad the conspiracies started b/c we got an answer that does tend to indicate that this was one and done. That's what we all needed to know.
I mean, what was the probable cause? Some woman who was either in or had been in a relationship said so? Ppl., especially when dealing with relationships say things a lot... they can't just go off someone's word...it would infringe on our rights, that we as Americans are very serious about protecting. Someone could go to the police and tell them you're building bombs in your basement... but without evidence (if even building bombs is a crime ...I'm not sure) they're not just going to be able to come busting through your home searching for them. Right or wrong, it's just not how our system works.

I mean, what was the probable cause? Some woman who was either in or had been in a relationship said so? Ppl., especially when dealing with relationships say things a lot... they can't just go off someone's word...it would infringe on our rights, that we as Americans are very serious about protecting. Someone could go to the police and tell them you're building bombs in your basement... but without evidence (if even building bombs is a crime ...I'm not sure) they're not just going to be able to come busting through your home searching for them. Right or wrong, it's just not how our system works.

Yes, they can - the judge would have decided on her veracity. And her story rung true b/c jilted exes don't usually make up stories about people building bombs in their RV. Like, domestics involving abuse - yeah. Cheating - yeah. Weird sex or drugs - yeah. Bombs - no.

And b/c bombs are kinda a BIG deal for the welfare of a community, you have to follow up...and follow up...and follow up...til you see the inside of that RV.

And looking through a house is no big deal. A search warrant is not an arrest warrant. But damn if it wouldn't have been huge here.

Yes, they can - the judge would have decided on her veracity. And her story rung true b/c jilted exes don't usually make up stories about people building bombs in their RV. Like, domestics involving abuse - yeah. Cheating - yeah. Weird sex or drugs - yeah. Bombs - no.

And b/c bombs are kinda a BIG deal for the welfare of a community, you have to follow up...and follow up...and follow up...til you see the inside of that RV.

And looking through a house is no big deal. A search warrant is not an arrest warrant. But damn if it wouldn't have been huge here.
I guess we'll have to agree that we live in different worlds where the laws and implementation of them are different. I've worked in the criminal justice field and mental health and as sad as it is literally ppl.s hands are tied more times than not. Like I said if the g/f came with some evidence etc.; then maybe, depending on the evidence, but just because some joe blow off the street says so, generally doesn't hold any water. Add to that the more info. coming out about when and how the g/f reported it...yeah unfortunately that credibility would never hold up in court. Obviously she was telling the truth and right, but again not how our system works. The only thing that could come from this is more discussion about said system and how to hopefully better it.

You have the importance of the two situations reversed.

"Looking through a house" is most definitely a VERY big deal. Freedom from unreasonable search is one of our most basic freedoms. That's why it is protected by the Fourth Amendment and thousands of court decisions.

Police officers can make arrests without warrants for all felonies and some misdemeanors based only on probable cause -- without an arrest warrant. A warrantless arrest is no big deal -- it happens thousands of times each day. The vast majority of arrests are made without warrants.

There are only a very few tightly restricted situations where officers can search without a search warrant.

I'm confident that this was a one man show, and that it's over...regardless of what the warped intent of the bombing was. Also keep in mind that law enforcement isn't releasing 10% of the information they have about the crime, subject, motive, evidence, or anything else.

There could always be a copycat, but copycats are much more common when there is a political nexus to the attack. I don't think that's the case here.

I think this is just some troubled soul killing himself in a manner that only he understood. As a psychologist friend of mine used to tell us, "Suicide is NOT ir-rational; it is il-logical."

I'm confident law enforcement is telling the truth.

I think he's a terrorist, homegrown and white, but a terrorist nonetheless.

I read somewhere that his father worked for AT&T and died of dementia. As a computer geek, he blamed the 5G for his father's death.

I read somewhere... Think you could find that article, please?

But a search warrant based on what?...that a g/f or ex said so? Unfortunately because ppl. can say anything, that generally wouldn't be nearly enough for a search warrant. I agree it's definitely a shame, but I doubt there waa anything that really could've been done unless the g/f or ex, was able to give them some evidence or something, but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

My guess is if he wasn't white, there would have been a different outcome.

The definition of terrorism is violence (or threatened/attempted violence) for a political purpose.

What would you say his political purpose was? I don't see one.
Think you could find an article showing that his race had anything to do with the police response to his girlfriend's allegations?

Hmmm... that's quite a leap and seems to be irrelevant to the case. I don't see any reason to think his race had anything to do with the situation or circumstances.

The definition of terrorism is violence (or threatened/attempted violence) for a political purpose.

What would you say his political purpose was? I don't see one.Think you could find an article showing that his race had anything to do with the police response to his girlfriend's allegations?

Blowing up and disabling the AT&T building wouldn't be considered political? Could it be considered an act of war then?

Institutional racism - it's not going to be found in an article.

That he hasn't been labeled a terrorist would be the first hint.
I'm so confused...when you were talking about his race making it different you were quoting my post about probable cause for a warrant ... all before this happened, so I'm still not seeing where his race would've come into play or made a difference. Are you saying that you think if he wasn't white he would have been labeled a terrorist just off the g/fs statements a year and a half ago...like before this happened? Again, that seems like a huge leap.

Blowing up and disabling the AT&T building wouldn't be considered political? Could it be considered an act of war then?

Not necessarily. I haven't seen anything that makes this a terrorist act but of course that could change. We don't even know that the AT&T building was a target. He might have just wanted to be downtown.

There is no apparent political agenda, no link to a known or suspected terrorist organization, no manifesto, nothing. Right now it just appears to be a suicide using a bomb. Some people use a gun, some CO, some jump, this just blew himself up.

If anything labeling him a suspected terrorist when the girlfriend made the statement about a bomb might have gotten them a FISA warrant when they couldn't get a local judge to sign off.

I'm so confused...when you were talking about his race making it different you were quoting my post about probable cause for a warrant ... all before this happened, so I'm still not seeing where his race would've come into play or made a difference. Are you saying that you think if he wasn't white he would have been labeled a terrorist just off the g/fs statements a year and a half ago...like before this happened? Again, that seems like a huge leap.
I think PP is claiming:
A) If the suspect wasn't white, the authorities would have tried harder to get a search warrant in 2019.
AND/OR
B) If the suspect wasn't white, he would have been declared a terrorist.

I disagree with both statements, but they can believe what they'd like.

Blowing up and disabling the AT&T building wouldn't be considered political?
No, not by itself. If there were a political motive for blowing up the ATT building, THAT would be terrorism. But no such motive has emerged.

Could it be considered an act of war then?
Nope, not unless it was done by some foreign government...which it was not.

Oh, there are thousands of articles on institutional racism! It's a very popular topic. But unless someone can show some actual connection to this particular incident, "institutional racism" is nothing more than buzzwords in this context.

Just saying YOU think it happened, without any substantiation whatsoever, proves nothing. It's just your opinion...which you are certainly entitled to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter