• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expiration date requested by merch CMs!

pixieprincess925

I can't get to Disney soon enough!
FYI to those on their way to WDW in the near future. I downloaded my virtual card to my wallet (DVC Y, Annual) knowing that I'd need to show it to cast members when I wanted to use my discount. What I didn't know was that cast members are being told to find the expiration date and basically not accept the virtual card.
So - word to the wise:
Take a snapshot of your digital card from the DVC website and keep your AP card and ID with you.

If your AP card does not have the expiration date on there, either write it on there or have guest relations do it.

I had at least 5 different cast members from 5 different retail locations argue with me that they needed the expiration date to which I explained that this is what Disney has directed us (the customers) to show. It was a tiring long weekend....

So wait a minute. Are you saying the the Disney MagicMobile Pass in our Apple digital wallet is no longer being accepted by CMs because it doesn't have an expiration date?

I thought that the whole idea of DVC changing from physical cards is because they had expiration dates (and needed to be reissued at a cost to Disney) whereas the digital cards don't require an expiration date because the system knows we are active members.

So are you saying that they now want the digital wallet card -- which has worked fine for us so far (our last trip was August, next is December), plus the temporary one month card from the DVC website that does have an expiry? (We do not have APs as we did not renew them during covid and cannot buy them yet.)

I am a bit confused so hoping you can clarify. Thank you.

Also just there and nothing was ever asked about an expiration date when using my ap. And honestly was only asked for my id with my ap about half the time.
Just left a week ago after a 7-night stay and visits to 3 theme parks and DS, and neither myself, DW nor DS were asked for anything other that the digital card in the phone wallet (iPhone for me and Androids for them).

Last edited:
For the AP discount they want to see an expiration date of your pass -- you have to pull it up via the MDE app then go to Tickets and Passes as it will show the expiration date there. For DVC discount the DVC Y designation in MagicMobile (aka Apple Wallet / Google Pay) SHOULD be enough.

We just returned from an 8 day stay, not once did they ask to see an expiration date, and we used the AP discount almost exclusively for the current 30% discount on merch. And boy did my wife use it! I told her I can’t afford to take the kids on Frozen Ever After anymore. She kept finding more HH gear each ride.

The only times they asked to even see an ID was for the DVC lounge at Epcot, and the morning I realized I left my ID in my wife’s previous day’s bag just prior to the parking booth, the CM asked for my ID. That was a first, but what are the odds of that? I don’t even remember what I said but she let us park.

We just returned from an 8 day stay, not once did they ask to see an expiration date, and we used the AP discount almost exclusively for the current 30% discount on merch. And boy did my wife use it! I told her I can’t afford to take the kids on Frozen Ever After anymore. She kept finding more HH gear each ride.
Dude, you're not kidding. We live in So Cal and already have WAY more cold weather gear for camping, snowboarding, etc. than anyone living in a Mediterranean climate would ever need or use, but.....

Helly Hansen.

Dude, you're not kidding. We live in So Cal and already have WAY more cold weather gear for camping, snowboarding, etc. than anyone living in a Mediterranean climate would ever need or use, but.....

Helly Hansen.
Tell me about it! We are in TN and taking our family’s first ski trip to Keystone in Feb. I used to ski when I was younger, but haven’t in 25 years. The rest have never been skiing, but my wife will sure look good doing it. I thought Disney was expensive, skiing can make Disney vacationing look like a hobby!

So are you saying that they now want the digital wallet card -- which has worked fine for us so far (our last trip was August, next is December), plus the temporary one month card from the DVC website that does have an expiry?

Super surprised nobody else has had this experience. but yes, they wanted the temporary one month card from the DVC website.

According to these cast members, it wasn't enough to have the DVC Y because that didn't indicate if the membership was expired (or the AP was expired - I'm not sure).

The first time I brushed it off as this cast member not knowing what they were talking about. but after the third time I heard it... and this was both in the parks and at resort stores.

Anyway, I am glad I am in the minority here and others did not have the same experience.

Now tell me that you didn't go into any stores that didn't have plastic bags to put your purchase in - but they offered to sell you a nice reusable one instead....

Last edited:
Now tell me that you didn't go into any stores that didn't have plastic bags to put your purchase in - but they offered to sell you a nice reusable one instead....
We got the usual "Disney Resorts" bags everywhere we went (except mobile checkout at WOD where we got the usual clear bags).

Also got regular bags in Disneyland yesterday.

Last edited:
We only had one store that was completely out of bags, another that gave us a heads up that they are discontinuing the plastic bags in favor of the reusable bags, but they still had them for use.

I’m torn on this though. Part of me feels like it’s just another item getting Chapek’d. The other part of me feels like plastic bags are wasteful and a scourge on our environment as a whole. At the end of the day we have plenty of the reusable bags and it would take a minor adjustment to make sure we take one or two with us each day.

Super surprised nobody else has had this experience. but yes, they wanted the temporary one month card from the DVC website.

According to these cast members, it wasn't enough to have the DVC Y because that didn't indicate if the membership was expired (or the AP was expired - I'm not sure).

The first time I brushed it off as this cast member not knowing what they were talking about. but after the third time I heard it... and this was both in the parks and at resort stores.

Anyway, I am glad I am in the minority here and others did not have the same experience.

That is so weird. At first the issue was that a bunch of people didn't have the Y showing up properly, so the virtual cards were not accepted.

Then DVC tech fixed that issue.

So now it's an expiry date issue.

I'm guessing they could implement an expiry date field into the virtual wallet card somehow and push it out to everyone (hopefully we don't have to generate a new card)...but the expiry would be based on what? I guess your renewal time or year-end like the physical card was.

Whatever is going on I hope they fix it as it's been a bumpy road over the past 10 months for various people with these new virtual offerings and temporary website card.

Except DVC doesn't expire unless you sell it, at which time I would think MagicMobile "should" auto-update to remove the DVC Y from your affiliations.

Like I posted earlier I know they have to see the expiration on the AP cards because they expire yearly and the physical cards (and MagicMobile) don't show expiration dates. This is why you have to pull it up via the MDE.

Since we have both I always opt for pulling up the DVC Y within MagicMobile because it feels like fewer steps than going into the MDE.

For the AP discount they want to see an expiration date of your pass -- you have to pull it up via the MDE app then go to Tickets and Passes as it will show the expiration date there. For DVC discount the DVC Y designation in MagicMobile (aka Apple Wallet / Google Pay) SHOULD be enough.

for my ap discount, all the cast members needed to see was the front and back of the card. Never asked to see it any other way. have been here almost 2 weeks and that has been the case the whole time.

for my ap discount, all the cast members needed to see was the front and back of the card. Never asked to see it any other way. have been here almost 2 weeks and that has been the case the whole time.
Are you talking about a physical card, or something in MDE, or Magic Mobile?
Why would they need to see the back of the card? What does it show?

That's interesting when we were there in the summer and Labor Day weekend, they had to see the AP card in the app (except for Joffrey's who just looked at thy physical card).

Are you talking about a physical card, or something in MDE, or Magic Mobile?
Why would they need to see the back of the card? What does it show?

Back of the AP card show the date that is written on it..that’s what mine has.

I have, in the past, also just shown my valid pass in MDE..but typically just use DVC.

Our AP cards have always had our names, but not the expiration - yes - I can pull up the expiration in MDE and show it that way.

I also usually just use DVC and don't worry about it - but my conversations with the CMs this time were very confusing (and I couldn't pass up the 30% discount for APs going on now!)

Disney hasn't printed expiration dates on AP's for quite awhile. IF the CM writes it on then there's something but if not then any date could be written down by the holder. ie - if that's the directions they are non-sensical. I have only had it written down by a CM if I asked.

DVC - they wanted to get away from expiration dates! lol If this is what retail wants they need to start scanning cards and verifying eligibility for discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter