expedition everest drop question

My DF rode EE about 8 times in October. Always in the front. The coolest part about the front is actually seeing the track shift. After you go backwards, they have to switch the track back so you can "drop". Its cool watching that.

You have all just helped me explain to my wife how the drop is on EE. She was worried about it and I kept telling her about the curve at the end and how it totally makes the drop easy. She, of course, thinks I'm tricking her. Now she can see that I am being truthful! :thumbsup2

My DH is a self-proclaimed "ride wuss" and says he cannot handle the drops that come with roller coasters. However, he loves loves LOVES EE because he says the big drop feels totally different than on a regular coaster. Something about the curve makes it easier for him to handle it...

My DD14 (last summer, she's 15 now) was / is / probably for ever will be a complete ride chicken. I was too at her age, but I've gotten a good bit better over the years.

Over the course of our first two trips to Disney World, we managed to drag her on quite a few rides that she wasn't too sure about. Out of them all, the only one she went back on a second time was Soarin'. We took her on BTMRR, she grabbed hold of my side so tightly I had a bruise for two days after the ride. She had a COW on Splash Mountain, freaked out on Test Track, will NEVER go on Pirates of the Caribbean again for as long as she lives, and couldn't be convinced to even try the ride in Norway. She chickened out of the weenie side of Mission Space, cried all the way through Star Tours (what's so bad about that ride :confused3), refused to try Kali River Rapids, and don't dare to even mention Space Mountain, TOT, RnRR or Dinosaur near her :rotfl2:

My take on it is this: She enjoys the rides that she does go on. I try to encourage her to try new things at least one time, but I don't push too hard. I know she doesn't like anything with a drop in it, so I don't push her on Kali, or the Maelstrom. Anything that she really appears to be afraid of riding, I just let it go. She can sit on a bench, have a drink, and enjoy some people watching down time while DW and I take DS on the rides that DD doesn't like. When we have the opportunity, we indulge her with some extra shopping time, or repeat rides that she does enjoy, like Small World, and Journey into Imagination.

Tomh, thanks for your great reply! I think I will just stop worrying about how to convince him to try the rides with the big drops and concentrate on reminding him about all of the rides that he did like. I want him to have a fun time on the trip, but don't want to pressure too much.

I will try to encourage one new ride this coming trip, but probably not splash...if the drop is worse for most people than the one on EE pushing him to do it probably won't be the best plan.

That being said, I will use your advice and make sure he gets plenty of time for the things that he enjoys!

Thanks!

So, one more question about the ToT drop. Im trying to psych myself up for that. I can do splash and space and EE just fine. But, anything taller than splash mountain hills freak me out. Can I do ToT? What do you think?

So, one more question about the ToT drop. Im trying to psych myself up for that. I can do splash and space and EE just fine. But, anything taller than splash mountain hills freak me out. Can I do ToT? What do you think?

You can do ToT... it is not a straight drop.... it is a series of little drops.

Does it still give you that "freak you out" stomach feeling that hills do?

It definately gave me "that feeling". :scared: However, I love TOT and I absolutely hate elevators (they give me the creeps). The drops on TOT are random and some can be small and some can be large (I think one of our drops took us from the top to the bottom). My DDs both love TIT but, DH won't even try it :sad2: He just waits for us to ride and then we all go on RnRc together :rotfl: He loves the coasters but won't even try TOT. Oh well, less wait time for me I guess :goodvibes

I suggest you not push him to go on the rides he doesn't want to go on. But, make sure waiting for others to ride is boooorrrriiiinggg. If possible, have him wait in line with everyone else, but take the chicken exit at the end. Or, at least, just sit on a bench and wait. If he's only slightly against riding, knowing that skipping it isn't any fun may make him change his mind.

Also, if going down drops gives you that dropping stomach feeling - scream throught it. Start screaming before the drop and don't stop till you hit the bottom. For some reason screaming reduces the sensation and it also gives the excess adrenalin someplace to go!

Hmm I just hate that feeling because it will mess me up for the rest of the day.

It does give you that knot in the stomach feeling...

but the ride is awesome... the theming, and everything leading up to the drop.

Only you know what's best for you though...

Why not get a FP early, and try it before you leave, so you don't ruin the rest of your day if the ride doesn't agree with you.

I know you have received a lot of advise I just wanted to let you know that I had the same expierence with my children when we first started out. My husband and older son were a little more hesitant to go for the big rides at first and the younger and I could not be kept off. First my eldest got hooked. Then I started having headaches in the heat and my husband had to go with my son and he was hooked. Then I got my headaches undercontrol and we hit every ride in every amusement park we went to. Some kids just need to reach that confidence level on their own. Just remember ask and understand if they don't want to go. If they are old enough you could leave them in charge of the supplies this may make them feel important.

so i am a total ride chicken and must say i never had a problem on everest or TOT. i LOVE TOT! its not a falling feeling as much as a floating feeling. its actually a really cool laid back ride. the imigary in it is the best i have ever seen.
everest gives you a wierd stomach feeling when going backwards. the main drop isnt bad at all, its the going backwards in the dark that makes me feel a lil queezy.
she really needs to try both cause they are absolutly gorgeous rides.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

I am actually the wife here...and in this case the mother! I posted because I am trying to figure out a way to get my son on splash mtn. He rode EE when he was 5 and hated it, we couldn't get him on any other ride for the rest of the trip.

Three years later, he is now 8 and STILL doesn't want to do rides. He did recently ride on the log chute ride at the mall of america with me and in looking that drop up it is very similar to the drop in splash mtn. Also, since you aren't strapped in for that ride I thought maybe I could get him to try splash on our upcoming trip.

NOPE, he still can't get over that drop in EE. I thought that maybe if I could show him that EE was a much longer, and steeper drop that might help. BUT, sounds like most people think splash is worse. (I have ridden on both and as a roller coaster chicken, LOVED both and even went on to ride RnRC which I never thought I would!)

All this being said, should I just leave well enough alone. If he doesn't want to ride should I stop trying to convince him? Does anyone else have "older" kids that won't do rides??

Thanks!!

Hi there actually I'm 17 and I never do coasters, the jurassic park ride at universal is as bug as ill go... I wouldn't push your son to do them, just maybe ask him if he wants to and leave it at that?

I had a problem with the backwards part before the drop. It feels like you left your stomach down below and your body is jolted backwards straight up...I didn't like that at all!!! :eek:

Yes this me to I get that can't breath feeling

After that the drop is easy

Yep, the way the track starts to turn at the bottom of EE makes it feel like less of a drop than Splash. I HATE the drop in Splash (but do it b/c it's my dd's favorite ride) but I LOVE EE and that drop doesn't bother me.

I also think it's a mind thing for me, I'm STRAPPED IN in EE and not in Splash, so I feel more secure.

And, in the intervening years...
Now, both Splash and EE have lap bars.

This thread is from 2010. Her son is six years older now.

Zombie-Thread-Walk450.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter