Excursions from Aulani

PoohBearFamily

Mouseketeer
Hi! Planning out our stay in February, we decided on a total of 7 nights at Aulani. So that'll be 6 full days on Oahu. Do you all have any ideas for excursions? So far we have Dole, Pearl Harbor, and Polynesian Culture Center, so that's 3.. We'd love hiking recommendations that are stroller/little kids walking friendly.

Planning to go out maybe 5 of the days, or all 6 days, for a half of the day (probably the mornings), and then hit the pool/beach in Aulani the other half of the day.

Thanks!!

Since you have little ones, maybe the Honolulu Zoo in the morning for a few hours and then Waikiki Beach.

Kualoa Ranch is good. Our favorite thing we did was the dolphin excursion. Not sure how old your kids are, but loads of fun.

Makapuu Lighthouse has a stroller-accessible trail up to the observation platforms. There are also lookouts right on the side of the road.

Haleiwa and turtle bay are worth visiting. You can see them together in a day.

Makapuu Lighthouse has a stroller-accessible trail up to the observation platforms. There are also lookouts right on the side of the road.

Haleiwa and turtle bay are worth visiting. You can see them together in a day.

Wow these sounds awesome- thanks so much!

If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest purchasing the "Oahu Revealed" travel book. They have one for each island and they are the best travel books I've seen. They have tons of ideas for all ages.

Hi! Planning out our stay in February, we decided on a total of 7 nights at Aulani. So that'll be 6 full days on Oahu. Do you all have any ideas for excursions? So far we have Dole, Pearl Harbor, and Polynesian Culture Center, so that's 3.. We'd love hiking recommendations that are stroller/little kids walking friendly.

Planning to go out maybe 5 of the days, or all 6 days, for a half of the day (probably the mornings), and then hit the pool/beach in Aulani the other half of the day.

Thanks!!
Dole isn't really an excursion, it's an hour or two, tops. From Aulani, it's on the way to the North Shore so you can easily combine it with Waimea Valley or something else up that way.

Polynesian Cultural Center is great, but it's also in the middle of nowhere. If you want to consider an equally great cultural experience that's a much shorter drive, consider the Bishop Museum. My kids made a ton of connections having been to the Bishop Museum before the Aulani luau, when they saw a lot of the same artifacts and cultural themes referenced.

Kualoa Ranch. Lots to do. Movie sites tour, ATV, ziplining.
There is almost nothing to do at Kualoa Ranch for small children. I wouldn't bother unless everyone is at least 5. They also changed their offerings around quite a bit post-COVID, so even people who have been before should be sure to double-check.

Last edited:
If you have a good zoo at home, the Honolulu Zoo is very disappointing IMO. It's fine, but it's not spectacular and nothing uniquely Hawaiian about it.

I agree. I lived on Oahu for 3 years and never bothered to go. I grew up in St. Louis, which is pretty much tied for the best zoo in the US.

Dole isn't really an excursion, it's an hour or two, tops.
I agree that Dole isn't an excursion and can easily be combined with a North Shore day. But FWIW, we got there right at 9:30 when they opened and all we did was take the train ride, browse the gift shop, and eat a Dole Whip and it took us three hours. We didn't have kids with us, but I could see where kids would also want to do the maze and other activities. It can easily take a while there, especially if you get caught in lines which happens later in the morning/day. We did Waimea Valley after, which would be an easy hike/walk with kids.

I also agree about the zoo. One of our tour guides even told us the zoo was nothing to write home about. Not something I'd take up my time doing. Polynesian Cultural Center gets mixed reviews - I think adults can appreciate the culture and history that it provides, but it might be boring for kids. Its also run by the LDS church, which is noteworthy for some.

I'd suggest going to Kailua and doing a beach day there. The lagoon at Aulani is calm, but there's a big drop off which would make me nervous with little kids. The beach in Kailua is the windward side of the island, so the beach is a powder white sand with warm, calm and clear water. We liked it a lot better than the manmade lagoons and dark brown beaches that scorch your feet at Aulani.

I also always recommend at least an evening in Waikiki. Not worth a beach day IMO, but its still something to see with good shopping and dining. Lots of family friendly dining options and you'll see people of all ages there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter