• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exchanging Canadian $

DisneyLisa

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
looking for comments on whether you get a better rate using an ATM in the US to get cash or by getting it at the bank here before you leave?

We have always changed $$$ ahead of time - some cash and some traveller's cheques. We also use a
charge card, which always gives you the rate of the day. I have never used the ATMs in the states, so I
cannot really compare. Hope this helps.

We usually get travellers cheques and some cash before we leave. I have used the ATM's at Disney but found them really expensive. In the future I will use credit card if we need more money while down there.

You get an average rate, the rate of the day. Also, you get charged, once by the bank machine for the states, and once from your bank. We were getting charged up to $6 at some machines, after exchange. It depends where you go, and how often you are planning on withdrawing cash. We thought we would get a bit exchanged in Canada before leaving, and taking out money as we went. Dumb idea. Should have gotten travelers chq's before going. Never will I ever take money out of a machine again unless I am absolutely desperate down there.

Joline

I always use the bank machines while I'm in Florida. I went to my bank and found out the fees before I left. All of the ATMs post the rate they will charge you on the machine. It usually cost us $1 US to take the money out. I did not use the machines on Disney property so I can't comment on those.

If you are in Disney travellers checks are not a problem but I have been charged huge fees to cash them outside of Disney. This is why we only use CC or ATMs now.

I would definitely exchange it first before coming to US. I would stay away from the ATM unless really needed. Some places charges about $2.50 which will be more in Canadian money. Joline, you mention $6, is this in Canadian money? If not, $6 in US$ is too much!

I don't like using ATM either, I have yet to find a machine that will only charge me a $1!

I've used The Barnett Bank ATMs many times and have only been charged $1 for the fees. Also the Sun Bank ATMs only charged me $1. Of course these are not located at major attractions but are available in areas surrounding them. I, on the other hand, have never been charged $6 to use an ATM! Cheaper ATMs are all around. Try to go to one at a bank branch and you will find the fees less. The more convienent the machine for tourist, the higher the fee they can charge.

In April 2001 we took out $400.00 USF, cost us $632.00 Canadian Funds at Canada Trust. We used VISA in WDW. The VISA exhange rate was 1.56, better than the cash at Canada Trust. Generally, we like using VISA as much as possible because we've noticed the rate is better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter