Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

So....We haven't been since you can modify times and I want to make sure I'm not royally messing this up like I've done before:

On-site, Park hopping day: AK (park opens 8am) to MK

Our list of AK priorities is off-our-beaten-track things for us so won't be a lot of heartbreak if we can't do the "big" rides other than FOP and EE which are must do's. We have a lot more rides we want for the afternoon/evening at MK so that's more the priority.

1. 7am buy ILL FOP and 7DMT (I can do both, I think?) and G+ Everest
2. 10am G+ Jungle Cruise and start stacking for the afternoon?
3. After tapping into Everest get another G+ in AK (Safari, Dinosaur)

I can't tell if my 2 and 3 are reversed.
Yes, you can buy both ILL FOP and 7DMT at 7am.

At 7am, the Lightning Lane time for Everest is going to be within the first hour the park is open, so you won't have to wait until 10am to book Jungle Cruise. You can book it as soon as you tap into Everest.

If you would like to do Everest more than once, you should be able to do it at Early Entry with no wait at all.

Yes, I wouldn’t put Everest as my first genie+. You will not have a line for it early in the morning. I would book safari and just do standby for Everest. Book jungle cruise second if the time is late enough.

To modify a time - do we need to already be in the park? I don’t see the modify times as an option in my genie plus selection.

How can I see current ILL$ prices without being on my actual vacation? I viewed a lot of the posts, but there are too many pages to read through everything and I did not see that in the first 7 posts.

I am trying to sort out my red HS day and I am not sure if I am finding Touring Plans to be very helpful. I plan on doing G+ and ILL for RoR. We will try for a VQ at 7 am but maybe that is not the best option if we are going to buy the ILL. We have done the ride before and don't really need to ride it twice. I'm trying to avoid huge zig zags through the park and would like to mostly do each section and it seems like TP can't group our Star Wars stuff into one visit of the area. I'd like to start with MMRR, TSM, SDD, and then be over for RoR, our Ogas res, maybe meet Darth/Chewy, and MF.. This is my first time using the G+ Anybody want to suggest a plan that worked for them.

I am trying to sort out my red HS day and I am not sure if I am finding Touring Plans to be very helpful. I plan on doing G+ and ILL for RoR. We will try for a VQ at 7 am but maybe that is not the best option if we are going to buy the ILL. We have done the ride before and don't really need to ride it twice. I'm trying to avoid huge zig zags through the park and would like to mostly do each section and it seems like TP can't group our Star Wars stuff into one visit of the area. I'd like to start with MMRR, TSM, SDD, and then be over for RoR, our Ogas res, maybe meet Darth/Chewy, and MF.. This is my first time using the G+ Anybody want to suggest a plan that worked for them.
There is no longer a VQ for RotR. It is ILL$. Or standby. Not sure how that changes things for you.

ive purchased Genie+ for today but I’m planning on going to Epcot this morning and MK this afternoon…I just want to use genie+ to stack rides for MK will it allow me to select rides for MK even though my park reservation is for Epcot or do I have to wait until after 2 pm to make MK selections

ive purchased Genie+ for today but I’m planning on going to Epcot this morning and MK this afternoon…I just want to use genie+ to stack rides for MK will it allow me to select rides for MK even though my park reservation is for Epcot or do I have to wait until after 2 pm to make MK selections
No you don't have to be in MK to start stacking. But you do have to wait for the LL return times to be after 2pm.

MK day with hopping to HS in the afternoon. So at 7 am can I schedule SDD for after 2:00 and still use G+ for something at MK at 9:00 and use at MK for more (after 2 hours or tapping) until hopping? Just making sure my HS won't keep me from using at MK during the morning.

I got back from WDW, staying from Jan 29 to Feb 2. I didn’t have a great experience with Genie+, namely cause the kids in our group got tired and wanted to go back to the hotel pool before we really needed the Lightening Lanes. I felt like a bit of a fool for having bought it. In the Fastpass days, you could leave the park before using all your Fastpasses without feeling like you had wasted money (since Fastpasses were “free”). But now I just had this sick feeling that I had poured money down the drain. It took away from the “magic” I had felt on prior trips.

Next time, I will wait and buy Genie+ after I get to the parks and can gauge the standby times, the heat and how the kids are holding up.

MK day with hopping to HS in the afternoon. So at 7 am can I schedule SDD for after 2:00 and still use G+ for something at MK at 9:00 and use at MK for more (after 2 hours or tapping) until hopping? Just making sure my HS won't keep me from using at MK during the morning.
Unfortunately no. If you book SDD at 7AM, the next time you will be eligible to book a LL is 2 hours after DHS opens which today would be 10:30.

I don't know why I can't wrap my brain around this today. We will have one day where we plan to start at epcot and hop to HS. We want to hit Remy, GoTG, Soarin and test track at EP. At HS really the main ones would be RoR and Smugglers Run. If entering at IG we could probably rope drop Remy right? I'll try vq for gotg, but I need to by RoR first correct, since it sells out fast? After that do I just grab LL and go as I can get them? Or should I get SR for later in the day and do what I can until 1030, when I can book another LL?

II'll try vq for gotg, but I need to by RoR first correct, since it sells out fast?
RoR sells in minutes, yes, but vq goes in seconds. If you only have one person on their phone, go for vq first. Even if you have more people trying, I might dedicate them to giving you the best shot at getting a vq time earlier than your 2pm park-hopping time, and then turn to RoR afterward.

If entering at IG we could probably rope drop Remy right?
Yes, that's a good strategy rather than using a LL.

After that do I just grab LL and go as I can get them? Or should I get SR for later in the day and do what I can until 1030, when I can book another LL?
You're describing two different philosophies/strategies about how to use Lightning Lanes: "stacking" vs. "streaming." "Streaming" is "reserve an early time, use it, then reserve your next one, no waiting around for two hours. Keep on using a chain of quick-payoff LLs throughout the day." "Stacking" says "Hey, look, the shortest wait times for everything are in the morning, and the longest are in the afternoons and evening. You don't want to be using standby for anything in the later part of the day. Just start snagging the rides that develop the longest waits, and take times in the afternoon/evening. Yeah, it means you'll ride standby in the morning, but then your investment will pay off as you breeze through your afternoon/evening."

There are schools of thought, and the truth is that each technique is probably better for different crowd levels, and different people's goals. (Are you here to ride the biggest rides? Or just to have a fun day, and you don't care if that means Carousel of Progress?) Personally, I drank the "stacking" kool-aid.

We had the same, a day that park-hopped from Epcot to HS. My strategies were:
  • secure a morning VQ time for Guardians (succeeded)
  • Also bought an ILL for a second ride on Guardians
  • I really wanted an ILL for RoR but we were offsite and they sold out before park opening. We rode it at park close with a wait under 30'.
  • My first priority for a LL was Tower of Terror. It's running at half capacity and will be the very longest waits of anything for a while. I didn't in fact snag this and we didn't ride it this trip; everyone was disappointed.
  • If you want to ride Slinky Dog, this is popular and you might want to grab when you get the chance.
  • MMRR is also a hot item
  • Smuggler's Run actually moves pretty quickly and waits don't get too crazy, so it's not until this point that I'd prioritize picking up a LL for it
  • If you want to ride RnRC might be good to get that

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter