Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

I'm only doing the marathon, but if anyone wants to join me with birthday/unbirthday themed costumes for that race, I'd love to have you! I plan on getting a shirt that says "on birthdays, we run marathons."
It's not my birthday, but I really wanted to run Dopey because I will be 48.6 years old in January, so I think an un-birthday theme would work for me too!

And I am in for a 10k group costume too! Sign me up for everything!

Last edited:
I rode the dopamine (seratonin??) high from registration and did my 3 miles and a short core workout, and then my day went up in flames. Literally.

As we were getting ready to walk out the door to DS1's baseball game, we noticed smoke in the backyard. We have neighbors who burn their trash so this isn’t an uncommon occurrence and was my initial thought. But there was so much of it. And the color was off. We we went outside and saw that my chicken coop was fully engulfed and on fire. 😫😭 Our brooder setup for the new chicks, which we have used for 10 years because it’s so much safer an alternative to a heat lamp somehow ignited the bedding and everything caught fire. I’m stressing out about the cost to rebuild (and when in the heck we have time to do that!!) and having guilt over losing all of the chicks (the big chickens were in a different section and were all outside and they’re fine.) The heat melted the plastic on our greenhouse and the motor/wiring on the exhaust fan. Some of the wood on the back of it is scorched and will need replaced as well. But it’s just stuff. And everyone is ok. 2 of our local fire departments sent trucks and had the fire controlled within 30min of me calling. Our neighbor came down to check on us (DH was at baseball so it was just me and the 2 youngest kids) because he saw the emergency vehicles and the smoke and DH wasn’t responding to his texts. It was nice to have a somewhat familiar face around. But ugh. I’m due for a big emotional meltdown tonight.
2DABE237-C987-46EA-8E98-4AD4505A1BA6.jpeg

Last edited:
I rode the dopamine (seratonin??) high from registration and did my 3 miles and a short core workout, and then my day went up in flames. Literally.

As we were getting ready to walk out the door we noticed smoke in the backyard. We have neighbors who burn their trash so this isn’t an uncommon occurrence and was my initial thought. But there was so much of it. And the color was off. We we went outside and saw that my chicken coop was fully engulfed and on fire. 😫😭 Our brooder setup for the new chicks, which we have used for 10 years because it’s so much safer an alternative to a heat lamp somehow ignited the bedding and everything caught fire. I’m stressing out about the cost to rebuild (and when in the heck we have time to do that!!) and having guilt over losing all of the chicks (the big chickens were in a different section and were all outside and they’re fine.) The heat melted the plastic on our greenhouse and the motor/wiring on the exhaust fan. Some of the off on that is scorched and will need replaced as well. But it’s just stuff. And everyone is ok. And 2 of our local fire departments sent trucks and had the fire controlled within 30min of me calling. Our neighbor came down to check on us (DH was at baseball so it was just me and the 2 youngest kids) because he saw the emergency vehicles and the smoke and DH wasn’t responding to his texts. It was nice to have a somewhat familiar face around. But ugh. I’m due for a big emotional meltdown tonight.
I'm so sorry for your loss!! What a terrible thing to happen. <3 <3

I'm so sorry! How lucky that you decided to check it out before leaving. I hope you allowed yourself to feel whatever you had to feel last night. Also hope your two kids are doing ok. I can't imagine how scary it must've been for them.

How are you @Herding_Cats this morning?
Utterly exhausted. DD slept horribly last night and, ironically, the puppy slept through the night for the first time. I usually go to bed/sleep at 10 and was up until 12:30. I've been unsuccessfully trying to take a nap this afternoon. I'm in full "distraction mode" with mixed results. DH has already ordered a 40 yard dumpster to clean up the mess; it'll be here on Friday, and 2 BILs are coming over to help. He's also arranged to borrow a skidsteer or something of the sort from a neighbor. We are not going to spectate DS2's first track meet of a year (it's almost a 2hr drive away and will take all day) on Saturday so we can get the cleanup done.

The coop honestly needed to be replaced. We built it on a budget (lots of cull lumber, flooring that wasn't as thick as it "should" be because it's just a chicken coop) and it needed some repairs. But replacing it is going to be so $$$.

Also, my legs are so sore from doing speedwork and lifting. Hopefully I can "get over it" in this first week.

Last edited:
Week 1 of Insane-o POT attempt training is basically done. Woohoo! I also feel like I'm getting myself back with regular exercise; I'm more productive around the house, and I feel a lot more sure of myself. It's nice. I've also successfully swapped out my coffee for green tea with no issues.

Monday: 1mi WU + 4 hills + 1mi CD. Already discussed here. I feel like I need to find a "better" hill, but I have over a week to make that happen. Legs workout.

Tuesday: 3mi recovery. Done on the treadmill. I've decided to start doing my tread runs at 1% incline to force me to toe off. It makes it a little more difficult, but I'm trying to get faster here, and this is one thing that I've definitely noticed switching between runs. Also, I cut back on my MW races for 2025 and registered for Dopey again. :crazy: Core workout

Wednesday: swapped with Thursday's scheduled rest day while I slept off the adrenal/emotional hangover from Tuesday's fire.

Thursday: 30min Higdon Tempo run. These are about a 10min warmup, then a gradual increase in speed until you're at race-pace and hold that for a few minutes, then a gradual decrease in speed. I set up a series of intervals to try to help me with this and had mixed results. It was dinner time when I went on this run, raining, and my legs were sore; I was just waiting for my left hamstring to lock up on me. I stopped to tie my shoe at one point and forgot to restart my watch for 40 seconds. Ugh. I didn't quite make it all the way to goal-pace, as my watch shows I got to 11:01 pace and not 10:50. Good enough for a first try. Upper body workout

Friday: 3mi on the treadmill. I'm almost finished with season 2 of The Summer I Turned Pretty on Prime. I confirmed that I have 0 time to waste on Fridays if I want to get my run and workout in while DD is at school. I cut it close on being finished in time to pick her up. Core/Glutes workout

Saturday: 5mi LR. The first mile and a half felt like absolute garbage, and I couldn't get out of my head. By mile 4 I had completely zoned out. Was my pace/HR a lot faster than it "should" be for this run? Yes. Yes, it was. Did it still feel good and I kept a steady pace? Also yes. I was sure I'd have a big fade, but shockingly it didn't happen. We also borrowed a mini excavator and a loader from our neighbor across the road to clean up the mess from the fire. 2 BIL's came over to assist, and they got everything done in less than 3 hours, including using the excavator to dig a hole so we can finally bury our dog's body that is still in cold-storage at the vet's office, and regrade the back yard where the dogs had completely torn things up and dug huge holes. We also un-winterized (summerized?) our hot tub, and that should be ready to use tomorrow. And I took a nap.

Sunday: rest day from running, but I'll be doing 2 lifting workouts to make up for skipping Saturday's.

Looking ahead: I have May 10th tentatively planned as my first exit/pivot point for the aggressive approach to this plan. It's a 3mi race-pace run, so if I'm not even close to where I need to be by then, it'll be time to scale back. I'm planning on repeating this week's lifting program for one more week, and then I'll probably move to something like 21DayFix since those workouts are about 30min each. I feel like I'm barely doing any lifting right now, but it's enough to wake my muscles back up and remind them how to do this, while still being supplemental to the running and not the other way around.

Last edited:
I have no idea what I'm doing with 400m repeats, but I did them, so that's what counts.

Today's workout was 1mi WU + 6x 400m @5k pace (w/2min recovery walk) + 1mi CD.
I looked at a couple of pace calculators (and a run/walk calculator that scares the crap out of me) trying to figure out how fast I should be running those 400s. Do I use goal-pace or current fitness? Something in the middle? Ultimately, after consulting the R/W calculator, I decided to make my 'hard day' really hard and use goal pace scaling for these repeats. They're only 400m, right? From there I looked at the VO2 calculator, which says that the 5k equivalent to a 2:22HM is 9:55. And that should take me somewhere around 2min 20sec to complete.

So I set up my interval timer. But what do I set my run segment for the repeats at? 2:10. Whoops! I definitely changed that during my recovery between #3 and #4 because I was only at like 0.22mi and my pace said I was quite a bit ahead of 9:55 pace.

And now, I will demonstrate my lack of knowing what anything but easy feels like.
1st repeat: 9:12 pace (Ok that was WAY too fast)
2nd repeat: 9:37 pace (better, but OMG this is hard!)
3rd repeat: 9:29 pace (I'm dying, and also not getting "far enough?" Also talking myself out of quitting after 3)
4th repeat: 10:00 pace. (now I'm too slow? why am I getting a headache, oh yeah, I didn't finish my tea this morning)
5th repeat: 9:50 (I can do one more. It's only one more, right?)
6th repeat: 9:48 (close enough, time to gasp for air for 10sec, hope the people who's yard I kept running past don't call EMS on me, and pull up my cooldown timer.)

I was also concerned that my max HR had dropped quite a bit from when I was figuring it out last winter(?) but I got up to 193 today, so it's safe to say it's still up there.

6th repeat: 9:48 (close enough, time to gasp for air for 10sec, hope the people who's yard I kept running past don't call EMS on me, and pull up my cooldown timer.)
This was me running my mile time trials a couple of weeks ago. There's only one decently flat part in our neighborhood so I was just running back and forth there. The kids playing outside at one house were starting to look concerned by the time I was done. 🥵

Last summer I was doing interval runs on a "track" around my son's soccer field, and I'm surprised no one called EMS at any point. It's crazy how when you're so used to doing your runs at easy pace, how hard it is to maintain other faster paces.

It's crazy how when you're so used to doing your runs at easy pace, how hard it is to maintain other faster paces.
THIS. Right here. 3? 4? years of running and I've done almost no speedwork (I did a little the first year) so these faster paces are soooo foreign to my body.

Weekly wrap up: longest week ever edition.

Monday: Speedwork (6 x 400m) feels like it was sooooo long ago. Good thing I did a post about it because I do not remember much about that run at this point. Already discussed in a previous post.

Tuesday: 3mi recovery run on the treadmill. 1% incline. 4:30/30 intervals. 4.4 and 3.7 for speeds. Also, a schedule change for DS2's track meet meant I missed DS1's baseball game (Wednesday weather looked bad, so they moved the meet to Tuesday.) Ended up taking the puppy because we don't trust him to make it 5+ hours during the day in his crate without an accident. He came and sat with me in the grass near the finish line and did amazingly well; the start gun didn't phase him, he still listened to commands, and took a nap for the last hour. All huge wins for an 11wk old puppy!

Wednesday: 35min tempo run. I adjusted the intervals so I still had ~1mi warm-up and then more intervals for the speedup and slowdown section. Figuring out what 10:50 pace feels like is hard. My routed ended up giving me a small downhill near the end of the "sustain goal pace" section (about 6min) and I was sooooo thankful for it. I really struggled with getting my pace up, and managed 10:53 for that part. This had me super nervous for my 3mi goal-pace run.

Thursday: scheduled rest day.

Friday: 3mi @ goal-pace DS2 had a track meet, and I was parent-of-the-day at preschool in the morning, so there was no time to run. This track meet was FREEZING. White stuff was falling from the sky on the way home. It "felt like" 36 and there was about a 15mph wind with gusts. There were soooo many timing issues, this meet went way longer than it should have. Plus, the starting officials blew a heat dead for almost every event. All of the kids said they were not nice, and as a spectator, they would rush the kids up to the line (for the first heat, which is the slowest and least experienced heat) and then scold them for not knowing what they were doing. And to an extent I get it; it's not their job to teach these kids how to line up and start their race. But then they'd explain it, get them started, and ask the next heat if anyone doesn't know how to start in a very snarky way. I took all the layers, my heated vest, blankets, gloves, and was still shivering sooo badly by the end. I even took DD's snowpants/winter coat, etc so she wouldn't get cold because I'm sure you can all imagine how horrible a cold 4yo could be at a 6+ hour meet. Heated seats for the hour drive home for the win!

Saturday: 3mi @ goal pace (10:50.) This morning was super stressful. Sooooo stressful. And 2 days in a row off killed all of my motivation (plus my period is due any day and I've been exhausted this week and falling asleep on multiple afternoons.) But I needed a 'mental health run' and this fit the bill. Originally I was going to cut this down to 2mi @ goal pace, with an additional .5mi WU and CD to get the 3mi. But I told myself to do the 2 and see how I felt before I just planned for it to be short. So I did the .5mi WU (30/30), and then paused to set up my new intervals (75/25) and que up the 178-180spm playlist. Mile 1 was about 3/4 paved, and then I got onto the dirt/gravel road I usually run on. My feet slip when I push off on this road, and I told myself I'd be OK with 11:00-11:05 considering it was 'feels like 36' with an 11mph crosswind that feels like I'm running into it no matter which direction I'm running. This mile was 10:42. Whoops! Mile 2 is all dirt road, and my form was starting to go by the end....10:57. Ugh. So I hit pause on my watch, stopped for about 60 sec. and then got back at it. I know that's not how this workout is intended to be run, but it was either pull the plug, or pause for a moment, and I know from the past the gutting out these workouts is really good for my mental training. Those miles give me skills for BB parking lot. ;) So here we go with mile 3. Can I find the pace? Yes. I did manage to find it and ran this one in 10:49. Yay! Those paces are knocking on the door of my 5k PR. But still, this was really hard. And that makes me nervous for July. But that's still a month and a half away, right? If I'm already pulling this off 2 weeks in, imagine where I could be in 10 more weeks!

And now I have to figure out how to juggle next week with a trip to Texas, when to do my speed work, because I don't think speedwork today, long run tomorrow, hills on Monday is a great idea.

Also, pupdate!
C093041D-1AF3-4350-BCEE-A1A34B9009A2.jpeg
5E48E4C5-1B3B-45BB-B73F-BA0A0DC563DE.jpeg
I really didn't know how much I needed a puppy in my life, or maybe it's just THIS puppy but I love him so much already. Like....way more than our previous dogs. Maybe because I did the research, picked the breed, found the breeder, and did all of the things I was more invested from the start or something. But ugh. He's such a good boy. (Feel free to throw this in my face in late summer when he's in full teenager mode :scared: )

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter