Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Looking for updated info for Uber drop off/pick up at Disney Springs? Closest to Marketplace?
Yes, you can ask your driver to drop you at either the Marketplace or the West Side. Marketplace dropoff is the abandoned Disney bus loop behind the Christmas shop.

Anyone use Uber for a WDW resort to Discovery Cove and back transportation for the day ?
Considering this option for a trip in March, but not sure about a possible early pick-up time for DC . Thinking about 7-7:30 am pick-up to DC .
I dont think the early "to" DC would be a problem, but the back at 5 might be . Not sure if surge will be in effect, plus the traffic. We could always pop over to Sea World for a few hours to avoid the traffic / surge .

Any input ?
Thanks !

Anyone use Uber for a WDW resort to Discovery Cove and back transportation for the day ?
Considering this option for a trip in March, but not sure about a possible early pick-up time for DC . Thinking about 7-7:30 am pick-up to DC .
I dont think the early "to" DC would be a problem, but the back at 5 might be . Not sure if surge will be in effect, plus the traffic. We could always pop over to Sea World for a few hours to avoid the traffic / surge .

Any input ?
Thanks !

We tended to use Lyft instead of Uber it's slightly cheaper & there is no surge pricing, there the same drivers as they have both apps to get the most work.

We tended to use Lyft instead of Uber it's slightly cheaper & there is no surge pricing, there the same drivers as they have both apps to get the most work.

Thanks ! Been putting off setting up a Lyft account.
Will have to get on that !

EDIT : Just saw that Lyft DOES have surge pricing , its called Prime Time . I checked for an estimated cost for a ride, and when I checked .......5:00PM , there is a 75% Prime Time up charge ! :faint:
I dont see where Lyft is any less expensive than Uber ??? :confused:
Been checking both actually , and while Uber is pretty consistent with the surge , Lyft updates very quick , and its been going from 75% down to 0% prime time and back up again, all within minutes . Feels like a crap shoot if you hit the request button quick enough ! Dont like that.
Uber has been consistent no surge for the exact same timing.
Guess that both can be checked to see which is quicker pick-up time and cheaper .

Last edited:

EDIT : Just saw that Lyft DOES have surge pricing , its called Prime Time . I checked for an estimated cost for a ride, and when I checked .......5:00PM , there is a 75% Prime Time up charge ! :faint:
Been checking both actually , and while Uber is pretty consistent with the surge , Lyft updates very quick , and its been going from 75% down to 0% prime time and back up again, all within minutes . Feels like a crap shoot if you hit the request button quick enough ! Dont like that.
Guess that both can be checked to see which is quicker pick-up time and cheaper .
I don't believe either one is cheaper. We use both a lot and find surge very rarely. So rare I don't even consider it an issue. I think I've seen in 1 time in all our trips last year. I do use Lyft most often because I can tip via the app. If we have cash on hand I just click whichever but if we don't, I use Lyft.

I agree -- Lyft Prime Time does seem to be more volatile than Uber Surge. It also seems to be more localized, compared to Uber Surge applying to a large area. But if you get hit with it unexpectedly, you can always cancel your ride within 5 minutes of the request with no charge.

I've also heard riders say Lyft is cheaper, even though their rates on paper are exactly the same as Uber's. The reason is that Uber sets a firm fare at the time of the request. That fare is supposed to be based on current traffic conditions, but many people think Uber fudges on the high side. Lyft still calculates the fare based on the actual time and mileage at the end of the ride, which often turns out to be less than Uber's precalculated fare.

Many drivers are using both platforms, but Uber still has more drivers than Lyft. So at times, the wait for a Lyft ride will be longer than for an Uber. But that likely won't be an issue most of the time in the main tourist corridor.

approximately how much is uber from saratoga springs to blizzard beach?
do you pick up from the building we're staying in or the main lobby building?

i've never used uber (we don't live in the USA), so i am completely clueless..
(we'll sign up for it when we get to the states)...
do i pay within the app? or do i pay the driver?
when i set up the app, does it have to be linked to a credit card?

approximately how much is uber from saratoga springs to blizzard beach?
do you pick up from the building we're staying in or the main lobby building?

i've never used uber (we don't live in the USA), so i am completely clueless..
(we'll sign up for it when we get to the states)...
do i pay within the app? or do i pay the driver?
when i set up the app, does it have to be linked to a credit card?
Drivers can pick up either at your building or at the check-in porte cochere. Best thing to do is request the ride as close as possible to the point at which you want to be picked up. Don't forget to allow a few seconds for your phone's GPS to focus in in you.

You will set up a payment method within the app before you can request your first ride: either a credit card or Paypal. The card will be charged when the ride ends. Uber does not support tipping within the app; you may tip your driver in cash.

Every driver and rider has a referral code. If you enter it in the promo section on the app, you should receive a discount on your first ride. It must be entered before requesting your first ride, or it will not be accepted. If you like, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to give you mine.

You can get fare estimates at the Uber web site: https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando/

This 3rd party site also estimates and compares fares for rideshare platforms & taxis: https://ride.guru/

Drivers can pick up either at your building or at the check-in porte cochere. Best thing to do is request the ride as close as possible to the point at which you want to be picked up. Don't forget to allow a few seconds for your phone's GPS to focus in in you.

You will set up a payment method within the app before you can request your first ride: either a credit card or Paypal. The card will be charged when the ride ends. Uber does not support tipping within the app; you may tip your driver in cash.

Every driver and rider has a referral code. If you enter it in the promo section on the app, you should receive a discount on your first ride. It must be entered before requesting your first ride, or it will not be accepted. If you like, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to give you mine.

You can get fare estimates at the Uber web site: https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando/

This 3rd party site also estimates and compares fares for rideshare platforms & taxis: https://ride.guru/

thanks for the info!!
we'll be a group of 8..
i'm renting an 8 passenger car (sienna i think it is), that's costing us a fortune and a half...
but with a group of 8, we'll probably need the flexibility of uber when we break up into smaller groups..
and now that i've found out how much disney has reduced the bus service from the resorts, it seems uber is our best bet (especially for DD and DSIL)...
i had thought about renting two smaller vehicles, but i'm really the only one comfortable driving in the states, so we'll stick with the original plan, the minivan for the whole group and uber when the couples go off on their own...

thanks for the info!!
we'll be a group of 8..
i'm renting an 8 passenger car (sienna i think it is), that's costing us a fortune and a half...
but with a group of 8, we'll probably need the flexibility of uber when we break up into smaller groups..
and now that i've found out how much disney has reduced the bus service from the resorts, it seems uber is our best bet (especially for DD and DSIL)...
i had thought about renting two smaller vehicles, but i'm really the only one comfortable driving in the states, so we'll stick with the original plan, the minivan for the whole group and uber when the couples go off on their own...
Yes, Uber is perfect for small groups of 4 or less where a car seat isn't needed. If you have 5 or 6 travelling together, you can get an UberXL or Lyft Plus for about 50% more.

You will need to have someone in each group with an Uber account on their own phone.

Yes, Uber is perfect for small groups of 4 or less where a car seat isn't needed. If you have 5 or 6 travelling together, you can get an UberXL or Lyft Plus for about 50% more.

You will need to have someone in each group with an Uber account on their own phone.

thanks..
everyone has a smartphone of course, so that's fine..
hopefully we won't have an issue setting up the app from a non-US itunes account...
but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it..
i definitely think uber is going to make things a lot easier for us given the constraints of disney transportation..

the kidlets needing the carseats will only be in the van with me :)

and now that i've found out how much disney has reduced the bus service from the resorts,
We've actually noticed the exact opposite. Waits for buses are way, way down this past year. Where are you hearing different?

We do use Uber/Lyft resort to resort but to/from parks, buses have been great overall, especially at opening/closing.

Just tossing that out there.

We've actually noticed the exact opposite. Waits for buses are way, way down this past year. Where are you hearing different?

We do use Uber/Lyft resort to resort but to/from parks, buses have been great overall, especially at opening/closing.

Just tossing that out there.

you can't get from saratoga springs directly to blizzard beach...you have to switch buses...
that's a huge downgrade in service in my opinion (especially considering the very big bucks being paid to stay there)...
not a problem for me, as i'll have the minivan, but a big problem if the young couples in our group want to get there on their own...

you can't get from saratoga springs directly to blizzard beach...you have to switch buses...
that's a huge downgrade in service in my opinion (especially considering the very big bucks being paid to stay there)...
not a problem for me, as i'll have the minivan, but a big problem if the young couples in our group want to get there on their own...
Oh, Blizzard Beach bus. Yeah, I have heard about that. I thought you meant buses overall.
Thankfully, as far as buses go, we don't do water parks. It is strange to hear how they've reduced those particular buses.

Oh, Blizzard Beach bus. Yeah, I have heard about that. I thought you meant buses overall.
Thankfully, as far as buses go, we don't do water parks. It is strange to hear how they've reduced those particular buses.

it's very strange....they make a big deal about how it's worth paying a LOT Of money to stay on property, and then they make it so very difficult to use buses..
it's upsetting...DD was very very very upset when she found out about the BB busses....she was planning on going there with her husband when DS and his family are resting...she thought they'd just hop on a bus....but no...no hopping....more like an epic journey...

the funny thing is, i think the best bus service is at pop century, a value resort..
we've stayed there a few times recently, but this time we need a full kitchen so we're paying more for worse bus service....seems a tad unfair...

Question for Uber drivers .............
How do specifically, Uber X drivers feel about dropping off at MCO ?
Since only Uber Select (and some others, XL, etc), can PICK-UP at MCO and Uber X can not , do Uber X drivers feel like its a waste , and dont like that MCO drop-off trip ? Since they cant pick up at MCO , do they feel they just need to drive back to WDW empty ?

Just wondering .........

Last edited:
How do specifically, Uber X driver feel about dropping off at MCO ?
Since only Uber Select (and some others, XL, etc), can PICK-UP at MCO and Uber X can not , do Uber X drivers feel like its a waste , and dont like that MCO drop-off trip ? Since they cant pick up at MCO , do they feel they just need to drive back to WDW empty ?

Just wondering .........

Ooh, good question.

How do specifically, Uber X drivers feel about dropping off at MCO ?

Just wondering .........
I've never had any problems with finding either Uber or any Lyft drivers to take us to MCO. Probably because it's a much larger fee than they'd get on property and I suspect there are plenty of users in an airport area hotel wanting to go to Disney or other theme park areas.

Which is a better/faster option taxi or Uber/Lyft from resort to resort? We have family staying at POFQ that will need to get to POLY frequently to meet up with us during a 7 day stay next week. Trying to prepare them on best option and contact info. Thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter