• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever hear of Greenfield Puppies in PA?(UPDATE#14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
I just want to make sure it isn't a puppy mill. Anyone have any info on them?

Well I have no experiance with that group, but simply by looking at their website, I see a number of red flags

1. They have way too many varieties of dogs. 1-3 breeds at the most is what a reputable breeder would focus on, and the best breeders only have one breed

2. They have waaaaayyyyy too many puppies available. The best breeders only subject their female dogs to one litter a year, maybe even every other year. The fact that they have so many pups availbe tells me either: they have a huge number of dogs or their females are giving birth 3-4 times a year--either way not a good sign

3. This may be taken as snobby, but so be it: a truely reputable breeder will breed to the standards of their breed. The fact they have designer mutts makes them a lot less trustworthy

4. The best breeders (even so called backyard breeders) want some promise that the family they are giving the puppy too is high quality. This group seems to just want people who can afford their prices.

I would stear clear--what kind of pup are you looking for? Maybe I could help you find a great breeder?

From what I understand, this is not just one breeder but a group of breeders. I did ask if the parents were on-premises and got a very positive yes. I'll ask more questions when that particular breeder calls me back.

I have to agree with Bekkiz.

Even if you say its multiple breeders, there isn't one breeder I know that will link their name to a generalized place to sell pups. I show my collies but do not breed, but like I said, most breeders, not all take pride in who they sell their pups to because their kennel name may be on the AKC papers for all to see.

I would be very careful. Just because parents are there doesn't mean squat. Research your breed, health problems (all breeds have them), fit for your family etc. And then start calling. I looked at their website, but was shaking my head even at the name of the place.

What's a jug? :confused3

I can figure out yorkiepoos, cockapoos, and so on..........but a jug? Something and a pug?

Why would they want to cross breed anyway?

What kind of a puppy were you looking to get?

A jug- could be a jack russle/pug mix maybe??? They seem to be very popular around here. Certainly does look a lot like a puppy mill. I'd be weary.

Mercy said:
What kind of a puppy were you looking to get?

They have a shih tsu/lhasa mix that just melts my heart. I am familiar with shih tsus as my sil has one.

We got our boxer Champ through Greenfield Puppies. We went right to the breeders house and picked him up. Some of the breeders are Amish but don't be alarmed by what you may have read about Amish puppy mills, the breeder we worked with wasn't running a puppy mill at all. He owned the father to the puppies and only had one litter there. He had a few other boxers but nothing out of the ordinary. If you have any questions and you would like to PM me go ahead and I'll be more than happy to share our entire experience with our baby... I mean puppy :goodvibes :dog:

I've been researching rescue groups-- and yep-- I've found that it seems 1/3 of the puppy mill dogs in rescue come from Amish puppy mills.

If the area code is (717) then it's probably a puppy mill.

kdibattista said:
If the area code is (717) then it's probably a puppy mill.

That is an unfair statement. Not every breeder in that area code is a puppy mill. I live in that area and have seen many reputable breeders.

OK, when I first called I was told that certainly the parents would be on premises. Second phone call, just the mother would be there. Third time I called (because I wanted more info on the age and health of the mother) he told me that he could not guarantee that she would be there at all and that his vet told him it is not good for the mother to be there when the puppies are taken away. Then he told me that he had plenty of other people coming to see the puppies who didn't care if the mother was there or not. Needless to say, I am very uncomfortable with this situation so I will not be going to meet this puppy. :( I'm disappointed but at the same time I am very relieved to have come to this decision because I was getting really uncomfortable about it. My "gut feeling" was that it wasn't right. So I'm going with my gut.

Kilee, is that a shi tzu in your siggie?

I actually just updated my signature tonight-- but it's still our furbaby. He is a Shih Tzu. He just turned 1 yr old a few weeks ago. He's alittle ratty right now-- he has a grooming appointment again next week.

kilee said:
I actually just updated my signature tonight-- but it's still our furbaby. He is a Shih Tzu. He just turned 1 yr old a few weeks ago. He's alittle ratty right now-- he has a grooming appointment again next week.

He's cute. I am thinking I may continue to look for a Shih Tzu since this one didn't work out. I ran into (well, not really) this woman in Petsmart today who had a 3 month old all black shih tzu (oh, was he the cutest thing) and now I am kicking myself for not getting the name of the breeder.

I'm glad that you were able to figure out that it is indeed a puppy mill before heading there or falling in love with a particular dog. There is no doubt that is a mill - esp when they are breeding mutts. =(

The Amish, esp, are notorious for puppy mills. Very sad.

We have a Shih Tzu - Harley. They are a difficult breed in many ways so please research it carefully. They're cute as can be but a dog is more than just a cute item to have (which I know you know). He has his days ;) PM me if you want more info on the positives and negatives we've seen with Harley and with talking to other Shih Tzu owners.

(btw - Shih Tzu's turn up in shelters and rescues a lot. Their "difficult breed" traits contribute to that unfortunately. I know someone on here volunteers with a Shih Tzu rescue. You can find lots of great rescues through petfinder.org and many of them will have very young dogs if you want a puppy. ESP if you aren't turned off by a mix)

Good luck, and take your time. A 10+ year housemate is worth the extra time, effort, and money =)

BWVDenise - I'm so sorry to find out the breeder didn't work out for you. We found our boxer through Greenfield Puppies and had a much different experience but you should def go with your gut feeling. Each breeder could be very different.

My aunt has a Shih Tzu, I'll see if I can find out the name of the breeder they got her from and I'll PM you if I can find it.

Aimeedyan - This particular breeder may have been running a puppy mill or something close to it, maybe they just are not a great breeder - but we don't want to lead everyone on the assumption that Greenfield puppies is a big puppy mill. We had a good experience getting our boxer and he was not a product of a puppy mill by anything we saw. Maybe we just got lucky :confused3 but I wouldn't give up my Champ for anything :dog:

Hi Everyone,

Last year on July 31, I picked up my Shorkie puppy, a girl named Vienna. I saw her advertised on Greenfield puppies and called and was able to make a appointment with the couple who was selling her. When we got there it was a small farm, very clean, all the puppies were well fed and looked very healthy, playful and groomed very well. My puppy did come with a warranty and she had health paperwork and shots from a Vet where several Vets worked there. They were very helpful and answered all my questions. I took Vienna to my Vet and he said she was a very healthy puppy with no problems. She eats well for me, very good tempered and my children just love her. I had a very good experience with Greenfield puppies, Benuel Lapp sold me the dog and I would buy another one from him. He gave me a big bag of her puppy food she was eating and told me to make sure to get her a good food not cheap grocery store food. He really seemed to care about his puppies. Kept them very nice. My Vienna is my baby and I enjoy her very much and so does the children. :)

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter