Ever disappointed with a budget trip?

I just got back from WDW & if I had to judge it purely on budgeting issues, I would say ... that it depends! I budget to allow myself to enjoy things I REALLY want, like staying on-property instead of off, while sacrificing things I don't care about, like sitdown or character meals. Budgeting is a means to an end for me. I don't enjoy the search for codes that some DISers do. I do it because it allows me to have the things I do care about.

This trip taught me a lot, though. It was my 1st trip being really broke (been underemployed for over a year) & I share these thoughts with you just to give you an idea of the types of decisions I made & their fallout. They may apply to you or not, but I hope it helps you decide what to do.

I realized that quite a lot of my usual fun was negatively affected because I didn't have the money to waste on silly souvenirs. I am not a window-shopper -- if I'm going to shop it's going to be for things I want & can afford. I enjoy the shops, but decided not to go into many simply because I knew I couldn't afford it. That was disappointing but better than getting depressed at what I couldn't afford or, worse, buying those things.

I chose to share my room w/ a friend -- travelling w/ her was a disaster. I would rather have paid the bill on my own.

I bought Crystal Light individual packets & a portable Brita bottle -- saved a bit there because I like to keep hydrated (avoids migraines.) That was worth being a bit thrifty because I don't care whether I'm drinking Crystal Light or Diet Coke -- unless I do, at which time I buy the Diet Coke.

Have a great time!!

Oooooh people, its not about the money. Its about time spent with loved ones, sharing joyful experiences.

Because of that, I would MUCH rather have several budget trips to WDW then just one or two deluxe trips. And we travel so much all year that ALL have to be budgeted and carefully planned. But thats half the fun!

We always choose value - moderates regardless where we travel....because that allows us to take MANY vacations. And i don't think we miss a thing by limiting how much we spend to *sleep*. We're not there to sleep, or even hang out in the room. So regardless where we sleep, or what we eat, ALL our vacations together are LUXURY.....we have the best time in the parks together, eat great food together (even if not the most expensive) still buy some sort of souvenirs together......and we're together creating priceless memories!

Now THAT is a LUXURY and the BEST value of all!!! So regardless of what we pay, we are RICH in the shared experience as a family. We are BLESSED!!!

danield very good questions. It all depends on what is important to you. Do you enjoy driving to the parks, taking that travel time, will you have to rent a car or will you rely on the off site hotels transportation (which is not always convenient)? Do you want to arrive at your hotel to the disney magic, be surounded by disney 24/7, have great and frequent transporation services to the parks, have your packages sent back to your resort so you don't have to carry them around, have the ability to go back to your room for an hour or so to freshen/rest/swim in the middle of the day, have access to extra early morning park time for resort guests only, and e-ride nights at MK? Can you guess what my answer is! ;)

I don't know about DL but at WDW I much prefer staying onsite.

Please checkout my thread at Cooking, scrapbooking and crafts. I'm talking about fundraisers and need some ideas.

I always think of Disney as sharing magic with loved ones.:teeth:

Every trip we have made has been unique and wonderful and our budgets ones are no exception. We just returne from 16 days there and with that length of trip we had to cut back a few places. What we did was do the things that we really wanted to do and searched for cheaper options otherwise. We ate at H&V, Crystal Palace and a few of our all time favorites but we also had children's hot dog meals at Pinocchio, generously added to from the toppings bar, at off site a whole bunch and tried out resataurants that we do not have back home and such. It sort of made us hunt for things that we had not really noticed before. We absoluely love eating at the China counter serve and would again, budget or not.

Go with a sense of adventure and come home with memories.

SG/Linda

Depending on how old your DS is, I'd explain ahead of time that this trip will be a little bit different....however you plan to cut back. It will still be fun, just different from the last trip.

Enjoy your trip, that's the important thing!

Steph

I thought I would just add my 2 cents.

I just booked a budjet trip for Feb 05. I feel really bad if I don't get discounts...the more money I save the more time I can spend.

We are staying for 6 nights and with Canadian Money at Par. I was able to get POP for 8 people for just over 60 US/day/person. this inculdes hotel and Lenght of Stay pass.

We will be staying off site the first night (arrive late) then going over early in the am to start the Disney Magic.

We will be buy grocery's off site for breakfast (some) and snacks, share lunch orders, take our own water in and then fill up (nd add crystal light). We are doing a character dinner and going to 50's prime time, Japan and Fort Wildnerness for dinners.

At Fort Wildnerness they have a campfire and movie each night (no charge for Disney guests), we then plan on watching the water parade from the beach.

Whole trip including transportation, lodging, food and admission for 8 (7 adults, 1 child) is under $ 4500 US. That is just over $50 per person/day.

It might be budget but we still will be busy with Disney activities. There are lots of different things to do at Disney that don't cost a lot if you look hard enough.

eyeoretoo, is the movie and campfire free to all Disney guests or just the ones who are staying at Fort Wilderness? Sounds like something fun for our grandkids but would not want to intrude where we should not.

A suggestion, if you can get a good rate on property it is well worth it to stay there the night before also as it gives you a head start on the Disney magic by not taking up time during the day to check in, unpack etc. We figured this one out after a half dozen or more trips. We check in the day before, get all settled in and take in some out of park experiences.

the more money I save the more time I can spend.

This is my mantra. Just finished a 16 day trip. Time makes any vacation better IMHO.

SG/Linda

I called Fort Wilderness directly to ask about the campfire program yesterday, as we will be staying offsite in a condo until we check into the POFQ. I asked if it was for just FW guests, Disney resort guests, or just anyone, and I was told that anyone can attend the FW campfire program. We have stayed in the cabins at FW the last two summers and always love to go to the campfire program and make s'mores. I was happy to find out that we can still enjoy that treat even though we will be staying somewhere nearby. We usually end up buying a few things at the campfire, especially the roasting sticks, but it is a cheap and fun evening that the kids will enjoy.

I believe a budget trip to DL is much different than one to WDW.

Staying onsite (or even in a suite at an off site) is just not as important.
It's easy to find a nice hotel within walking distance to DL that is affordable.
I typically get Entertainment rate at $45 a night for the Howard Johnson's (a very clean and comfy hotel with EXCELLENT staff) or even Priceline bids of $40 a night.
Never felt like we cut any corners on any of our trips.
The one time we did stay onsite (bought APs and got $99 a night for DLH) and did a character breakfast was kinda fun but I don't miss it on the other times we have gone low budget. (McDonald's, snacks from home, split meals)
Our most memorable meal was a brunch of fresh fruit and nuts (from local fruit stand) in the picnic grounds area.. it was fun!

The only thing we spend money on are pins.. and last trip we had enough traders (bought from ebay) that we bought maybe three pins total.

Soak up the atmosphere more ( people watch, slow down and notice the little things) , go to the shows, do the quieter rides that you have skipped in the past.. you might just like the budget version more!!

sweet maxine, thanks for the info. This would be great one evening when MK closes early. Eat at Trail's End and then go to the movies.

Soak up the atmosphere more ( people watch, slow down and notice the little things) , go to the shows, do the quieter rides that you have skipped in the past.. you might just like the budget version more!!

funnygarcia, never a truer word was spoken. We did so many 'little' things that we had never had time to do before. It is more fun to do a budget trip when you do not 'have' to though. If it is worth it we do it and if not, we don't. Is all in how you look at it. We live in a huge old house with crystal chandilier and wide staircases and such and I actally find it relaxing to be in a small motel room with few possessions. Only time I see the room is when I wake up and for a bit before I go to sleep so I do not care. Only time I mind is when I am walking for the buses and then, for a brief moment, I might wish I were staying at whatever resort is first in line but I get over it when I get home and check how much money we spent. LOL

SG/Linda

Rockin_Rep, we're right there with you! We love to travel and our life style has worked out (dh self-employed, we are homeschooling now) that we can travel quite a bit. Our finances are still limited, so I LOVE seeing what I can do to contribute, as in getting codes, good ressies, vouchers, sell on ebay, etc...

Our whole family is used to our style and we all love it. We have sooo much fun together - we bought a 30' Travel Trailer and love travelling together. It is so much more economical this way (saving on food alone!) and we have such a good time!:earsboy:

SlightlyGoofy

The reason we won't be staying the night before is because you can only get package deals (hotel and passes) at the Canadian money at Par Deal.

The extra night would cost everyone approx $ 50 US. The Motel 6 just down the road is $40/room. We will be arriving late and won't be able to use the park passes.

I will have to look into seeing if I can find a deal for room only for one night. Any one know the cost of one night at POP for Feb 1?

I just wanted to throw in our experiences. We do Disney on an extremely tight budget. Fortunately we live very close so we don't have to worry about air fare and such! In our experience it has never mattered what the budget was. Our dd4 has never thought that she missed out on anything, of course that could vary with age. We buy cheap suveniers, take snacks and drinks in, eat off property, whatever we have to in order to go to Disney and it has never left us feeling deprived. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

Gera

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter