Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

I suspect the future cruise sales are taking a bigger hit than those who have already booked. My travel agent said that Royal Caribbean's sales are so flat the company sent home 300 booking agents. The travel agent has had two dozen cancellations in the past week, mostly European cruises.

I'm surprised DCL prices for the upcoming months haven't dropped more. I guess there aren't too many people canceling.

I'm not "cancelling" officially because I can't get a refund anyway. That doesn't mean I am going though (not sure yet.) I'm sure many others already in the cancellation penalty window feel the same. I suspect if they start allowing refunds/rebooking, you'd see a lot more rooms open.

I don't know what to do. (I know what I want to do though) We have 3 round trip tickets to Barcelona and then we are suppose to go on a 12 day RC cruise to Italy in June. My pay in full amount is due next week. I keep waiting to see if they will extend the pay in full date or that United will offer something for plane tickets. So far neither and cancelling at this point is losing $4000. United would refund the flight if it was to Italy but since to Barcelona they are not. This is all to stressful. I feel so bad for everyone/everywhere.

I don't know what to do. (I know what I want to do though) We have 3 round trip tickets to Barcelona and then we are suppose to go on a 12 day RC cruise to Italy in June. My pay in full amount is due next week. I keep waiting to see if they will extend the pay in full date or that United will offer something for plane tickets. So far neither and cancelling at this point is losing $4000. United would refund the flight if it was to Italy but since to Barcelona they are not. This is all to stressful. I feel so bad for everyone/everywhere.

We are similar, PIF is Monday for a RCL out of Copenhagen in June with tickets on BA. We are giving them until Sunday to push back PIF date (it was reported that our cruise was included but when we called they said no but also seemed really clueless). If they don’t push it back I’m canceling the cruise but not the plane tickets. I’ll be out $400 from RCL but the rest of the deposit can go towards a future cruise. Then we‘ll wait and I see one of 3 things happening:
1) Everything is fine by late May and I’ll repurchase the original cruise (out $400 and maybe increased cruise cost but I’m doubtful and expect price to go down).
2) Things are sort of fine but a cruise still seems risky- we’ll use the plane tickets but change to a land trip (out $400 and the land part will most likely be cheaper than the cruise)
3) Things are horrible in June and either BA let’s us cancel the plane tickets or we just say forget it and cancel them (out $2k if we have to abandon tickets all together but thinking chances are we‘ll be able to change them if things are bad).

For us being out $400 and maybe $2k in the long run was better than rolling the dice and being out $10k if we had PIF and then not gone. Time will tell. (And sorry for the long post but thought it might help to someone with a similar decision to see my thought process)

Because you have a cruise booked, that is one of the few ways left to buy trip insurance. If you do the "cancel for any reason" then you can at least possibly get 75% of your flight back.

I wonder if a number of us have had it already and didn't even know...
That is exactly my suspicion. I'm guessing it's been percolating for months and people have been exposed to it and have either had mild respiratory events or been asymptomatic -- kind of like mono.

I'm not "cancelling" officially because I can't get a refund anyway. That doesn't mean I am going though (not sure yet.) I'm sure many others already in the cancellation penalty window feel the same. I suspect if they start allowing refunds/rebooking, you'd see a lot more rooms open.
If you can't get your money back why not just go.

Not wanting to get sick or be stuck in quarantine? It is going to be a game day (flight day?) decision for us as there is no financial benefit to deciding sooner.
Unless you have a crystal ball I don't think you can predict whether you'll get sick on a cruise even if you wait until the night before. I doubt they'll be doing any more quarantines.

Unless you have a crystal ball I don't think you can predict whether you'll get sick on a cruise even if you wait until the night before. I doubt they'll be doing any more quarantines.
Some employers (have heard of at least 3 large ones) are requiring a 14 day quarantine if you travel to a level, 2 or above area before you can return to work. Taking an extra 2 weeks off work will be a hardship for many. That was the final nail for us.

Some employers (have heard of at least 3 large ones) are requiring a 14 day quarantine if you travel to a level, 2 or above area before you can return to work. Taking an extra 2 weeks off work will be a hardship for many. That was the final nail for us.
The company I work for requires a 14 day self quarantine if you return from travel to certain areas. Not time off from work, but you are supposed to work from home during this time.

I would love to have an extra two weeks off. I’m pretty sure my employer won’t be doing that.

We are similar, PIF is Monday for a RCL out of Copenhagen in June with tickets on BA. We are giving them until Sunday to push back PIF date (it was reported that our cruise was included but when we called they said no but also seemed really clueless). If they don’t push it back I’m canceling the cruise but not the plane tickets. I’ll be out $400 from RCL but the rest of the deposit can go towards a future cruise. Then we‘ll wait and I see one of 3 things happening:
1) Everything is fine by late May and I’ll repurchase the original cruise (out $400 and maybe increased cruise cost but I’m doubtful and expect price to go down).
2) Things are sort of fine but a cruise still seems risky- we’ll use the plane tickets but change to a land trip (out $400 and the land part will most likely be cheaper than the cruise)
3) Things are horrible in June and either BA let’s us cancel the plane tickets or we just say forget it and cancel them (out $2k if we have to abandon tickets all together but thinking chances are we‘ll be able to change them if things are bad).

For us being out $400 and maybe $2k in the long run was better than rolling the dice and being out $10k if we had PIF and then not gone. Time will tell. (And sorry for the long post but thought it might help to someone with a similar decision to see my thought process)
I just talked to RC this morning. They are not extending the PIF date for our particular cruise but said all of them before June 11 would be extended by 30 days. So hopefully by next week they will add both of our cruises. I am pretty much on the same thought process as you. This is so stressful.

I also need to buy some sort of trip insurance. I had been paying with my Costco card as when I booked I was told we would get trip insurance through that. Good thing I asked today because as of September I guess Citicard/Costco are no longer providing this. Any recommendations? Also when you do trip insurance can I do the price of the airline tickets with the cruise? I have never traveled internationally so I have no idea. Thanks!

The company I work for requires a 14 day self quarantine if you return from travel to certain areas. Not time off from work, but you are supposed to work from home during this time.
Unfortunately not all aspects of the job can be done from home. Those that cant, put extra pressure on co workers. The almost three weeks we had planned for the trip. Stretching that to almost 5 weeks is too much to ask.

I just talked to RC this morning. They are not extending the PIF date for our particular cruise but said all of them before June 11 would be extended by 30 days. So hopefully by next week they will add both of our cruises. I am pretty much on the same thought process as you. This is so stressful.

Thanks for that update! Ours is before he 11th and when I called Monday they told me mine was not extended and that he personally had never heard any were extended (I’d been on hold for 40 minutes and couldn’t wait for a supervisor). When I check online it still shows PIF for this coming Monday, but I’ll go ahead and give them another call this afternoon.

Because you have a cruise booked, that is one of the few ways left to buy trip insurance. If you do the "cancel for any reason" then you can at least possibly get 75% of your flight back.

You usually have to get trip insurance within a short time of making the initial booking (not paying off) the cruise in order to get "cancel for any reason" coverage. But maybe that's just the policies I've looked into.

You usually have to get trip insurance within a short time of making the initial booking (not paying off) the cruise in order to get "cancel for any reason" coverage. But maybe that's just the policies I've looked into.
You are correct; that's true for many of them. But I did find two the other day that were available as long as you bought the policy on the day of, or before, the PIF. Trying to decide if such a policy is right for me as I have a PIF coming up March 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter