EPCOT... UGH!!! DOUBLE UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...you have to start drinking around the world early if you are going to be successful. I see no problems with drinking when you're on vacation. It's not like all the people drinking in Epcot in the afternoon are going to go to work later...it's just another way to have fun on vacation.

This is an interesting anecdote.

Disney World was almost in St. Louis. Site picked. Papers signed, deals made.

Then be of the Busch heirs got a little drunk at a reception and said, in a voice loud enough for Walt to hear, that he couldn't trust anyone who would build an amusement park and not sell beer.

Walt cancelled everything that night.

It's a different world, but if you're in the what would Walt do camp, I do doubt he would approve of the Pub crawl Epcot often seems to be.

Just to point out that Walt's public image and private habits are conflicting. He drank, he smoked, he cursed. He was a regular guy with extraordinary talent.

OP's attitude is just an extension of North American puritanical attitudes to alcohol. Go to continental Europe and see how the alcohol flows.

I don't always have 7 canto-loupey's before noon, but when I do, I like do do it at epcot world showcase.

Having the double distinctions of drinking around the world showcase twice in one day and all the way around once in one day during F&W, I feel obligated to comment.

I prefer being a little drunk all the time if I'm going to be around people. I'm a nihilist and a misanthrope and would rather humanity as a whole never made it into tailored clothes. If I have a buzz on, the rest of you are better for it, I promise.

It's no excuse for bad manners though and I find myself sympathetic to the OP on some level. Though I think if people practiced drinking more they would behave better when drunk. Instead it is an occasional release and all the rules of polite society tend to fall as well.

The answer then, is more drinking; not less.

I took my then 5yr old to EPCOT on my own one day during our last trip.
Anyone looking carefully will have spotted us walking round Epcot, me holding his hand with one hand, and holding a small cocktail from one of the countries in the other.
I was in no way drunk (It was the only drink I had that day, but no one would have known that) - but, it was my holiday too, and, we were not scheduled to go back past that particular stand so...
I think, were I not there with young children, trying a drink in each country would be a fun thing to do? Yes, overly drunk, loud and dangerously oblivious hoards would be unpleasant and a problem. I never saw that at any point. Being slightly sozzled on an adults only holiday is no big deal, is it?

You wouldn't enjoy going to Epcot with me either. Sorry, I'm one of those that likes to carry a glass of wine around and check out the different countries. And I've been known to do it around noon!!! (Sometimes earlier) Just go have fun and don't worry so much about what others do on their vacations.

Hmmm...my family and I were in Epcot last Sunday as well, I don't recall all the drinking and debauchery... but oh yes! I had a beer in my hand.

I have a drink or two while we're in the World Showcase. It never once crossed my mind that it was something that would bother others. :confused3

In the 30+ trips I've had to Disney I have never once seen unruly drunks at Epcot. I'm sure there are, but either I'm just lucky or obliviously enjoying MY OWN vacation. I don't drink...but I'm not sanctimonious about it or anything, I just don't like the way alcohol tastes and I don't like to feel "altered", and I don't have a problem if others want to drink.

Epcot continues to be our favorite park. Sorry it's lost its "muchness" for you.
You might have missed the US navy guy who got so drunk he attacked 3 CM's with a piece of PVC pipe.

Went to Epcot in July. Realized how hard it actually is to find a glass of wine!

We really enjoy strolling around with a drink.

Many of the large groups are young people having fun. Best way to avoid being annoyed is to join in on the fun! Say hi, ask what they are celebrating, congratulate the bride to be. I have found these "groups" to be fun, nice, and respectful when you actually talk to them. And being invited to do shots with the bridal party is a hoot.

Maybe you need to spend less time inventorying bachelorettes and their drinking habits, and more time relaxing. With a drink.
OP also took the time out of their vacation day to watch & count how many shots were consumed by an entire party in the China Pavilion - and they did this for at least three shots per person! That is true dedication to finding material for one's rant. You can just hear them thinking "I can't WAIT to post this on the DIS!!!" as everyone else goes on having fun around them. Bottoms up!

I lost all my Quotes! GRR! So I'll just reply

I love Epcot, and I along with my family , spends a lot of time there. SOmehow I have missed the drunken parties that seem to be running rampant through the Park. Perhaps the OP saw us strolling through on one of her visits...we were the Loud Group....sorrry we tend to make noise just walking, can't help it....and I was the old gal holding the glass of wine for dear life. At the cost of wine in Epcot, I am not going to drop that glass, no matter who walks into me. Now if you saw us an hour or two later I was holding a glass of wine...it probably was the same one, but you neve knew that.... You assumed I was a lush. Don't feel bad.....I do the same thing at home. I make two glasses of wine last all afternoon...yes I am an afternoon lush....until way after dinner.

I cannot understand how focused anyone is on other people that they see so many examples of debauchery on one weekend day. I see others post about how folks dress in Signature restaurants, and I am kind of shocked that they see all these badly dressed folks because I have never notices any of the things they see.....I could not tell you the shoes my family all had on, never mnd the tables all around me.

In my neck of the woods we celebrate Firemans Carnivals, which are generally 3 day events that end with a parade and many times fireworks displays. They used to have beer gardens, and perhaps I compare what the OP is talking about to those "good old days", because Epcot is tame in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter