Epcot to get major transformations

updating the last scene of Spaceship Earth

I've heard this a number of times ... like, the scene at the top of the ball, or do you mean, updating that little video with your faces on it?

and something with the aging Illuminations

Hey, if we're so worried about cost and cashflow, leave Illuminations alone since people still come and enjoy that every single night. And also, leave my Illuminations alone! :mad: I couldn't imagine making a trip to MK for the last Wishes even though it held quite a bit of sentimental value to me, but I would be at EPCOT in a heartbeat if they were planning to change that show. Can't you just put a couple continent shaped 4k TVs on the globe for about $50,000 and call it a success?!?

So with all the rumors, hopes, and dreams, we are looking at 2-3B in my opinion. That's a lot of money. Think about it this way, EPCOT hosted 11.98 million guests in 2015. At $75 a pop (a few years back plus most people don't pay 1 day sticker price every day), that's less than $1B. So you are talking 2 to 3 years worth of ticket sales to pay for the things we are floating around.

I agree that their ticket sales can't hold this up, but there is a pretty decent percentage (if DISboards is any true test) of people that go just to enjoy the WS and eat and drink. How many $9 beers do you have to sell before you pay for $1 billion renovation? (Also, let's start stealing back profits from Shanghai and putting those into the premiere Disney complex!!)

Also, @lockedoutlogic ... you're bringing the heat. Enjoying the EPCOT lesson you're teaching here!

I've heard this a number of times ... like, the scene at the top of the ball, or do you mean, updating that little video with your faces on it?

Hey, if we're so worried about cost and cashflow, leave Illuminations alone since people still come and enjoy that every single night. And also, leave my Illuminations alone! :mad: I couldn't imagine making a trip to MK for the last Wishes even though it held quite a bit of sentimental value to me, but I would be at EPCOT in a heartbeat if they were planning to change that show. Can't you just put a couple continent shaped 4k TVs on the globe for about $50,000 and call it a success?!?

I agree that their ticket sales can't hold this up, but there is a pretty decent percentage (if DISboards is any true test) of people that go just to enjoy the WS and eat and drink. How many $9 beers do you have to sell before you pay for $1 billion renovation? (Also, let's start stealing back profits from Shanghai and putting those into the premiere Disney complex!!)

Also, @lockedoutlogic ... you're bringing the heat. Enjoying the EPCOT lesson you're teaching here!

The little scene with faces cracks me up, but it's pretty hokey. No, I was thinking the last scene at the top. Kind of like the last scene in CoP. Both need some attention. Illuminations wouldn't be high on my list, but there is no doubt that show is aging. It also holds a special place for me, it's where I was as the clock struck 00:00 on 01/01/00. And yes, there is a ton of ancillary revenue. I was just putting what 3B really means in terms of ticket sales. We know the parks make money, but 2-3B is still an insane amount of money.

Espn is in a cable death spiral...

Subscriber loss = loss of advertising revenue = carriers playing hardball due to loss of revenue = slashing of costs/talent at the network = hairbrain schemes by management to "save" it.

All those things are exaclty what's happening. Disney needs parks to be its primary revenue/profit generator moving forward.

Why was a rotting Epcot ok ten years ago and now seems "not to be"?

1+1=2

Which is why I'm afraid they are going to play this one "too safe"

Meaning, we will see "sure fire" IP based rides before we see more creative overhauls/rebuilds of the empty pavilions storage facilities.

The little scene with faces cracks me up, but it's pretty hokey. No, I was thinking the last scene at the top. Kind of like the last scene in CoP. Both need some attention. Illuminations wouldn't be high on my list, but there is no doubt that show is aging. It also holds a special place for me, it's where I was as the clock struck 00:00 on 01/01/00. And yes, there is a ton of ancillary revenue. I was just putting what 3B really means in terms of ticket sales. We know the parks make money, but 2-3B is still an insane amount of money.

I always liked the final scene in SSE but I know what you mean now. I used to tear up at the big reveal there, but now it's just "eh". I can see how that could be a moment that would blow you away with probably not too much work and imagineering.

I just wish they would stay away from current rides (no matter how slight of a queue they have) and open up an unused building for new stuff. Much like DHS, they need to stop looking at replacing rides with new rides and think "hey, why don't we offer MORE rides?" Oh no, I'm paying 5 more minimum wage staff, this isn't going to make the stockholders happy.

Count in me in the "who cares" category.

Whatever the "reasons" (neglected, US, ESPN, Iger legacy) its all good news for me.

Same with D Springs, DVC, AK, DHS and MK (and US/IOA) changes-bring it on baby. :cool1:

I think I get your stance...it only took the first 500 times you repeated it::yes::

that is true - doing an Inside Out overlay to Cranium Command would be pretty straight forward (no idea if the mechanics are in working order though) and in some ways fits better than the Imagination pavilion as the Inside Out characters are emotions that exist in reality (in the movie) ... now, if they wanted to have Bing Bong make a cameo in an all new, updated, and amazing Figment ride, I would be supportive of that :D

Cranium command - for those that never saw it - was basically a scene from Inside Out.

The making of me was a fantastic job as well. Body wars was star tours with naseau...
...but in a ride rationed park...couldn't they have used it?

Which is why I'm afraid they are going to play this one "too safe"

Meaning, we will see "sure fire" IP based rides before we see more creative overhauls/rebuilds of the empty pavilions storage facilities.

I agree. The Rat is just the beginning IMO.

They have beefed up the IP base so much that the market audience expects to come and see it.

A new "Disney" ride will be just that I presume. That what markets well, and if good-word of mouth follows.

A handful of these changes in the countries will be insignificant for me, FW can change completely for all I care. They closed boring junk we had already stopped visiting, now there's a couple things up there but that's about it. Wish it would all change to countries to be honest.

I think I get your stance...it only took the first 500 times you repeated it::yes::

Yes, but not your 600 times. :thumbsup2

Besides, you asked the question.

Why was a rotting Epcot ok ten years ago and now seems "not to be"

Last edited:
Cranium command - for those that never saw it - was basically a scene from Inside Out.

The making of me was a fantastic job as well. Body wars was star tours with naseau...
...but in a ride rationed park...couldn't they have used it?

Why they closed those made and makes absolutely no sense.

They were textbook EPCOT.

Couldn't they have at least kept them seasonally? Instead, its rumored that they packed up the simulators and sold them (like they needed the money), and let the other one just decay.

Did they need a place for storage that badly?

I really feel the need to chime in and ask: Where is WALL-E and why hasn't he been considered more in any potential newly themed aspects within EPCOT? He makes perfect sense to me especially in Future World due to the underlying recycle, healthy lifestyle, etc. story line presented within the movie.

Granted, I understand the argument that children did not really latch onto the story (and this is probably Disney's biggest reason for not utilizing him due to $$$), but at least make some trash cans shaped and look like WALL-E... That would at least be a clever use and show some love to a slightly forgotten character.

Last edited:
You had me on everything but the section above...

Guardians of the galaxy features a talking tree and a raccoon armed more heavily than ted Nugent...

That is not an acceptable "future world" tie in. The prosecution rests.

And guardians really is what we've identified: the only thing they can use and it's a shell game. They want the cake all to themselves with marvel money. Looks low rent. I think even putting avengers on DCL looks kinda desperate. To be honest.

Not only that...but have you seen Vol. 2? That is not really a "family" property...it's geared to more the gaming/comic con with beards type sect. Which is great but doesn't scream "I want to take my kids on that!"
You don't have to focus on the characters, focus on what it offers.

First I have seen both movies, and all Marvel movies and I thought it was pretty well done, and not targeted for Comic fans. It is a fun farcical look at what the future could hold, with some incredible visual effects and opportunities for Disney to exploit. A futuristic world with ship flights, and other worlds and space boots and rockets could be a blast. Also, how is GotG not family directed when the main portion of the story is a "family" tale and how to handle family relationships? Seriously? This could be a GREAT future world tie in, with them covering future tech, and energy resources using the characters of the movie. Don't let the movies put blinders on you.

I really feel the need to chime in and ask: Where is WALL-E and why hasn't he been considered more in any potential newly themed aspects within EPCOT? He makes perfect sense to me especially in Future World due to the underlying recycle, healthy lifestyle, etc. story line presented within the movie.

Granted, I understand the argument that children did not really latch onto the story (and this is probably Disney's biggest reason for utilizing him due to $$$), but at least make some trash cans shaped and look like WALL-E... That would at least be a clever use and show some love to a slightly forgotten character.

I like it. :yay:

Again-another IP available some want to see.

You don't have to focus on the characters, focus on what it offers.

First I have seen both movies, and all Marvel movies and I thought it was pretty well done, and not targeted for Comic fans. It is a fun farcical look at what the future could hold, with some incredible visual effects and opportunities for Disney to exploit. A futuristic world with ship flights, and other worlds and space boots and rockets could be a blast. Also, how is GotG not family directed when the main portion of the story is a "family" tale and how to handle family relationships? Seriously? This could be a GREAT future world tie in, with them covering future tech, and energy resources using the characters of the movie. Don't let the movies put blinders on you.

Agree with this. And another IP.

Granted, I understand the argument that children did not really latch onto the story (and this is probably Disney's biggest reason for not utilizing him due to $$$), but at least make some trash cans shaped and look like WALL-E... That would at least be a clever use and show some love to a slightly forgotten character.

I agree with this. Hey, Wall-E isn't the gold standard in the Disney IP, but they just gave up on this guy. Of course, you could sorta say the same about the Incredibles even though they have dance parties (seriously? what a waste). I put forward the idea in a Tomorrowland thread that they should have a dark ride where you jump in one of the white fat chairs and take a tour of the space cruiser. And then you can start churning out Wall-E dolls and make a killing because no one is buying them when they don't have any tie-in!

Besides, couldn't you use Wall-E to make a pavilion about ecology and pollution? It's IP AND Future World specific. COME ON IGER DO I HAVE TO DO ALL YOUR WORK FOR YOU?

An excellent point and i'm glad you brought it up.

Wall-E doesn't sell dessert parties or enough plushes...would be my guess...but the message 1000% belongs in Epcot.

The question is: is the current management too cowardly to take up the message? They're big on conservation when it comes to elephants...but what about the conservation of everything? Too "inconvenient" is my take and may upset the big hair bow crowd...

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter