Epcot tips for the newly visually-impaired?

15MinutesFromWDW

Earning My Ears
My grandma's coming down at the beginning of March with my cousin. The three of us are planning to spend a day at Epcot (Gma's not fond of the parks, but she's interested in coming along.)

I'm a little anxious because Grandma's visually impaired. She has partial vision (nothing but light and some color blobs for anything more than a few inches away, extremely fuzzy vision close up), but she's only had this impairment for a few years (it's a progressive thing), and she's still not very comfortable. She has a cane, but doesn't like to use it, so people don't realize she can't see them, so she tends to get bumped into a lot. She's also uncomfortable in crowds, on buses, etc.

I'm so afraid that she's going to be scared and uncomfortable all day! Does anybody have any experience with this? Any hints/tips? (She doesn't read braille, so the maps are no help.)

15MinutesFromWDW said:
She has a cane, but doesn't like to use it, so people don't realize she can't see them, so she tends to get bumped into a lot. She's also uncomfortable in crowds, on buses, etc.QUOTE]
This may sound strange, but I would suggest a wheelchair for her for most everything. That will keep her from bumping into things or people as well as protecting her from people bumping into her.

I actually thought of that, and suggested it to her, but she wasn't thrilled with the idea. I may try to talk her into it, because I think you're right.

Guest Services also has cassette tapes and loaner players for visually challenged guests. I can't get the Disney link to work, but I recall it is supposed to be descriptions and assistance in orienting guests in the park. Since you'll be with your grandmother, this doesn't seem very helpful, but perhaps it is worth checking out. The wc suggestion seems like a very solid idea; that way she doesn't have to worry about navigating around and crowds.

I actually sat with a lovely couple for a Food & Wine event earlier this year. I surmised that the husband had visual issues bc his wife was describing all the room, handouts, and speakers to him. He was using a wc, I don't know if it was solely a vision thing, but they were having such a great time. Their happiness was catching!! I was really sorry not to run into them again.

Best wishes for a fun trip!

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter