Emh?

Big G

Earning My Ears
Good morning,

I am new to this board and am going to be in Disney for my honeymoon Jan 10-18th. I have been reading about this extra magic hour? on this board and was wondering if someone could fill me in on what it is and what it does. I am staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Any advice would be great.

Thanks a lot.

First off, Welcome to the DIS!

Extra Magic Hour is a perk for resort guests that lets them in to one park either 1 hour early or 3 hours later. In the morning: Early Magic Hour, one park will be open 1 hour earlier than posted opening time, and during Evening Magic Hour, one park will be open 3 hours later than posted closing time.

Only certain number of rides/shows will be open during EMH.

There are 2 schools of thought about EMH:
1. Go to EMH park because you can get in on more rides with less crowds then move to another park when the EMH park starts to get crowded.

2. Avoid EMH park because the park tends to stay crowded the rest of the day and better to go to a non-EMH park.

Whichever way you go is strictly up to you. There are pros and cons of each thought.

Have fun planning.

Extra Magic Hour is great. We did the trial for it in May and we loved it. We did the late nights since we aren't early risers. Once you get in the park where the late night is, there will be CM's in several areas of the park issuing ID bands to those who are guests of the disney resorts. You just show them your room key. Then when the parks officially close only those with wrist bands will be allowed to stay and ride on the designated "late night" rides. Only certain rides and attractions will be open. The busses stay late too, so you don't have to worry about transportation. I think we were at the MK until almost 1am! It was great since the official close time was 9pm. The crowds weren't that bad, and wait times weren't that long either. They did have fast passes also available. :boat:

Kaybee: Did they require 1 room key each or could we show 1 per couple? And how do they know the keys are current? What if someone kept their key from a prior visit and tried to use it? I don't imagine that will happen (at least not much) but just curious how they verify these are CURRENT resort guests?

1) Each person needs their own resort key and 2) resort keys have "valid from/to" dates on them.

HTH
- Sharon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter