Embarkation Day Lunch

We always do the table service lunch. It's much more convenient since DW is gluten free and the first day crowds in Cabanas make it much more of a challenge to have lunch in a reasonable amount of time after waiting to talk to a chef and the subsequent preparation of anything that needs to be brought out from the kitchen. We have experienced significant cross contamination issues with some of the lunch stations in Cabanas, even when getting food that should be gluten free when it is near other items that are not gf. Some guests insist on using the same serving utensils to get food from adjacent serving dishes. Later in the cruise, it's sometimes possible to get lunch in Cabanas by arriving just as they open for service, but most days we usually do the table service lunch.

What time does Cabanas start to get really crazy? This will be our first cruise, and I definitely want to eat there on embarkation day, but DH also hates crowds, so knowing what to expect would be great. I believe our PAT that I selected is 10:45-11am, and we’ll prob arrive before that.

What time does Cabanas start to get really crazy? This will be our first cruise, and I definitely want to eat there on embarkation day, but DH also hates crowds, so knowing what to expect would be great. I believe our PAT that I selected is 10:45-11am, and we’ll prob arrive before that.
Pretty much as soon as there are enough people to fill up the tables there. You won't be onboard until around 11:45-12:00 at the earliest, so plan accordingly.

One strategy I've heard of is to wait until the rooms open up at 1:30, THEN go eat. It avoids the mad rush to get to your room and cabanas clears out. The flip side to this is depending on how your morning has gone you may be hangry and it's just too long to wait to eat. There is also the food options on the pool deck.

I'm of 2 minds on this. Part of me totally gets wanting to get to port a little later and directly board the ship. The other part says I paid a lot of money to do this and I'd like to get on the ship ASAP (along with everyone else). As we don't cruise until 2020 I've got some time to figure it out. :)

On most cruises I try to go for MDR lunch rather than buffet due to the craziness. On the Fantasy in November we went to Cabanas and I greatly regretted that decision. It was so, so busy, we still had a bit of hand carry luggage with us and there was nowhere to sit except a sort of bar seating area (not great for a family of five). I will now always choose to spend an hour eating a more civilized lunch.

One strategy I've heard of is to wait until the rooms open up at 1:30, THEN go eat. It avoids the mad rush to get to your room and cabanas clears out. The flip side to this is depending on how your morning has gone you may be hangry and it's just too long to wait to eat. There is also the food options on the pool deck.

I'm of 2 minds on this. Part of me totally gets wanting to get to port a little later and directly board the ship. The other part says I paid a lot of money to do this and I'd like to get on the ship ASAP (along with everyone else). As we don't cruise until 2020 I've got some time to figure it out. :)

I can confirm this. Last week we were on a disney resort transfer that left at noon, so we boarded late around 1:45 and cabanas was quieter than at breakfast most days—no trouble getting a table. If we get there early next time I think we will go for a swim, wait for the rooms to open and get changed, and then go have a late lunch again. It worked great! That said, we did have a big breakfast at Cape May Cafe before leaving to tide us over, so we didn't mind eating lunch later.

I was on the Dream last week and Cabanas was pretty crazy when we finally got up there around 12:30PM...Food was excellent but getting a table was a problem and the lines to the buffet were long at times. I initially wanted to eat on the top deck just outside of Cabanas but it was too hot out and the AC in Cabanas was too inviting.

Sailing on the Fantasy today, table service lunch is in Animator’s. We boarded at about 1:00, got seated as soon as we arrived at AP. Nice and relaxed lunch.

was it your dinning day at Animator's or you just stopped by?

Sailing on the Fantasy today, table service lunch is in Animator’s. We boarded at about 1:00, got seated as soon as we arrived at AP. Nice and relaxed lunch.

Oh, I hope that is a permanent change. It's been in Enchanted Garden on our Fantasy cruises. Trying to get an elevator was always a challenge with everyone just boarding....especially with one of our party in a power wheelchair. Thanks for the update.

Happy sailing. :boat:

Oh, I hope that is a permanent change. It's been in Enchanted Garden on our Fantasy cruises. Trying to get an elevator was always a challenge with everyone just boarding....especially with one of our party in a power wheelchair. Thanks for the update.

Happy sailing. :boat:

The bus driver from the airport said Enchanted Garden, so the word has not gotten out to everyone yet. But it certainly was planned by the ship crew, not a last minute thing. And way easier than EG last cruise.

There are no dining room assignments for the MDRs for lunch, or breakfast. If they are open, you can go at anytime.

Got it....on my first cruise we knew nothing other than folks here saying they go to Cabanas and thats where we went. It was pretty packed for the first 25 mins or so....Now for the next time we know we can hit up an MDR instead.

The bus driver from the airport said Enchanted Garden, so the word has not gotten out to everyone yet. But it certainly was planned by the ship crew, not a last minute thing. And way easier than EG last cruise.

Thanks for the update. Hope your cruise was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter